Ignoring injuries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iron Bender View Post
    As for FELA attorneys, it should be obvious that they do not have a vested interest in being proactive about our safety and PREVENTING injuries in the first place. Just the opposite. The cold hard truth is that they really do care only after we have been injured. Otherwise, if there were no injuries, they would be out of a job.
    This is extremely true. The company tries to starve the client out. That is why our firm, where ethically permitted to do so, advances money to clients interest free and without recourse, i.e., it is not paid back unless there is a recovery. The amount advanced is the "net" needed to pay their bills after reducing whatever disbility benefits we can get coming to the client. In instances where we are not ethically permitted to advance monies to clients [it is governed by each particular states' ethics rules], we "hook-up" the client with 3rd party personal injury case advance companies. I personally hate these companies as they gouge the client with interest [18 to 40%!] but they are "non-recourse" as well. I want to make it clear that it is the law firm of Gordon & Elias not the bank of Gordon & Elias but we know that to give the client a fighting chance we have to protect them from the company economically pushing them into taking less than they have coming.

I know that everyone has a tendency to "justify their own existence" and everyone likes to think that they "help people" and I am no different. However, lawyers are necessary evils. I always say that if the railroads treated their employees with dignity instead of like an enemy, there would be no need for FELA attorneys.

One must remember that a FELA lawyer works on a 100% contingency, i.e., there is no fee or ANY expenses paid back to a lawyer IF there is no recovery. Hence, there is a buit in incentive to kick the #@&T out of the company.

The problems that Blizzard started this tread over are problems, I believe, are best handled by the Unions. After that, it would be the DLC since they are given an incredible "economic opportunity" by the Unions.

I truly have a problem with "FELA Lawyers are a joke" or "FELA Lawyers only care about your situation when it is too late" because I know how hard our lawyers [and other good lawyers] work and the sacrifices they give up so their client wins, i.e., missing time with their families, or little league games, or having to come home early from a family vacation because some idiot Railroad lawyer filed a motion that needs immediate attention.

I just hate geralities on any group. There are good engineers and there are bad engineers, good workers and bad workers, good lawyers and bad lawyers....

Steve
    Steve Gordon
    Gordon, Elias & Seely, L.L.P.
    FELA Lawyer
    FELA Lawyer Blog
    Serving Injured Railroad Employees Nationwide
    Call for a FELA Lawyer 24/7/365
    800-773-6770

Comment

Originally posted by FELA FELLA View Post
      This is extremely true. The company tries to starve the client out. That is why our firm, where ethically permitted to do so, advances money to clients interest free and without recourse, i.e., it is not paid back unless there is a recovery. The amount advanced is the "net" needed to pay their bills after reducing whatever disbility benefits we can get coming to the client. In instances where we are not ethically permitted to advance monies to clients [it is governed by each particular states' ethics rules], we "hook-up" the client with 3rd party personal injury case advance companies. I personally hate these companies as they gouge the client with interest [18 to 40%!] but they are "non-recourse" as well. I want to make it clear that it is the law firm of Gordon & Elias not the bank of Gordon & Elias but we know that to give the client a fighting chance we have to protect them from the company economically pushing them into taking less than they have coming.

I know that everyone has a tendency to "justify their own existence" and everyone likes to think that they "help people" and I am no different. However, lawyers are necessary evils. I always say that if the railroads treated their employees with dignity instead of like an enemy, there would be no need for FELA attorneys.

One must remember that a FELA lawyer works on a 100% contingency, i.e., there is no fee or ANY expenses paid back to a lawyer IF there is no recovery. Hence, there is a buit in incentive to kick the #@&T out of the company.

The problems that Blizzard started this tread over are problems, I believe, are best handled by the Unions. After that, it would be the DLC since they are given an incredible "economic opportunity" by the Unions.

I truly have a problem with "FELA Lawyers are a joke" or "FELA Lawyers only care about your situation when it is too late" because I know how hard our lawyers [and other good lawyers] work and the sacrifices they give up so their client wins, i.e., missing time with their families, or little league games, or having to come home early from a family vacation because some idiot Railroad lawyer filed a motion that needs immediate attention.

I just hate geralities on any group. There are good engineers and there are bad engineers, good workers and bad workers, good lawyers and bad lawyers....

Steve
      OK Steve;
      I am guessing that you really might be one of the good ones. So tell me this-for years now we have heard jokes and dark anecdotes about a secret river of bribes flowing from the Corporation into the hands of union officers and DLCs. Given the total lack of any interest whatsoever in the plight of the savaged rail workers of this country by Federal Law enforcement (or maybe the river of graft greases their skids also?) it is entirely logical to suppose that their might be truth in these allegations. It does seem that a lot of these people live quite well... So have you heard these allegations?
      Blizz

Comment

Dear Blizzard-

I/We do not run in those circles to hear that stuff. I did not come up with the saying that "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely". There is a section in this Forum that lists the indictments, charges, blah, blah & blah.

I always reject someone's statement when they call me and say "my lawyer sold me out" because I do not know anyone so stupid to risk their Bar card and career for some momentary event.

I have heard that some FELA lawyers, I assume probably they are DLC, do take 5, 10, 15 or 20 cases to the company's lawyer and have a sort of "Mass" type of discussion/settlement. We have never had that many FELA cases where that concept ever came up and I would personally and professionally find that hard to do. A lawyer should handle his/her client's case like it is their only case; and I think there would be a tendency to allow the "give and take" that takes place in trying to negotiate the maximum amount for your client for that "give and take" to enter into another client's case. For example, because a FELA lawyer has an outstanding relationship with the company's lawyer and, as a result, that FELA lawyer gets a settlement offer from the Company that is higher in a "not-so-strong" case because of that relationship, is that a good thing? Yes. Conversely, because of that relationship, if the FELA lawyer recommends acceptance of a settlement offer that is a little lower than what it could/should be to foster that relationship because there are many other cases wherein the defense lawyer also appears, is that a good thing? No

So, luckily, we are not faced with that crap as we do not have a lot of FELA cases and work our cases like they are, in fact, our only case. We are not alone in this world in this regard.

Take care,

Steve
        Steve Gordon
        FELA Lawyer
        FELA Lawyer Blog
        800-773-6770

Comment

Fortunately, I cannot speak from experience on this issue. I do know that we have a pretty good FELA atty here that has been successful with several railroad employees.

Even with those successes, the feeling among fellow employees is still that you will get fired for reporting an injury and double fired for using a FELA atty. Hell, I think they might even eat you if you win a case. However I have not heard of anyone who fit this bill who either was not a screw up or wasnt trying to do it on purpose.

I know it does happen, but dont tell those guys I work with that have won claims.
          All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
            Hell, I think they might even eat you if you win a case.
            :lmao::lmao:!!!
            Steve Gordon
            FELA Lawyer
            FELA Lawyer Blog
            800-773-6770

Comment

FF;
              I/We do not run in those circles to hear that stuff. I did not come up with the saying that "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely". There is a section in this Forum that lists the indictments, charges, blah, blah & blah.

So it seems you have some knowledge of the graft and allegations of graft that go on in this industry. Interesting and THANK YOU. From where I sit the circumstantial evidence would seem to be overwhelming. I am not at liberty to give specifics as I would be hunted down and fired at a minumum.
              Blizz

Comment

Working...
              X