Facebook Foul......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Foul......

Can a railroad tell you that you are not free to speak your mind on your own facebook page?? Anybody know anything on this ??? This is beginning to become an issue for us.

Why paint a target on your back?

Don't post anything on your FB that you wouldn't say directly to a managers face.
    ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

The comments in question are not critical of the railroad or officials.
      Follow the rules, and you'll make money.

Comment

If it is regarding a fellow employee than it is in the same category.

Comment

here's a novel idea.........don't use facebook...........just use yardlimits.....we don't know who you are so you can feel free to tell the truth.
          sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by Brakey82 View Post
            The comments in question are not critical of the railroad or officials.
            I forgot to mention, and it is fairly obvious, Dont scab out a brother on facebook.
            ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

I will say this and it is true:

No One, and I mean NO ONE, knows who anyone is on this web site UNLESS you have told them or you have not made your profile anonymous.

Can they tell from what you post? Maybe
              Can they tell from where you post? Maybe

Can a railroad company fire you for hat you post anywhere? that depends on what it is. I would think that if you are a safety risk they could [just my opinion and not a legal one]

Would a railroad company try to hurt you if you posted something that was, in their opinion, not towing the company line? I have my answer to that but my answer is not important because my livelihood is not tied to them. What is your answer?

"keep your friends close and your enemies closer" what a great line!
              Steve Gordon
              Gordon, Elias & Seely, L.L.P.
              FELA Lawyer
              FELA Lawyer Blog
              Serving Injured Railroad Employees Nationwide
              Call for a FELA Lawyer 24/7/365
              800-773-6770

Comment

I have a few in my terminal that think they know who I am, but they have the wrong person! It's good to be incognito!
                "I HAVE MADE MY FINAL POST ON THIS FORUM. MY THANKS TO A FEW WHO HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFULL, HOWEVER I AM NOT GOING TO WASTE MY VALUABLE REST, READING AND RESPONDING TO "US vs THEM" VITRIOLIC PEOPLE."

Comment

Here's my non-law degree take on it:
                  Most of the Class One Carriers (and most all "big businesses,") have published & implemented their "social media policy" that would include facebook, twitter, you tube, etc. I'd suggest everyone read those very carefully & comply as best you can. I don't mean to sound to have a "defeatist attitude" & allowing the company to dictate your behavior off the job, but here is the reality: (as I see it)

Suppose the company decides something you've posted is inappropriate or defaming to them. They'll haul your ass in to one of those famously "fair & impartial investigations" and you'll be dealt with as they see fit. You may have the best L/C on the planet, and it may be bogus what they are alleging or charging you with. But, do keep in mind, the investigation isn't a court of law & no matter how "not guilty" you may (really) be, they can put the bitch slap on you hard. Then, suppose you get dismissed. You'll likely end up with (a hopefully more reasonable) arbitrator who *may* decide your punishment was too harsh & you should be reinstated.

Consider that (around here anyway,) one is looking at 6 months minimum to sit at home on your can, while you await a date for a PLB & a neutral party to hear your case on your social media posting. Obviously, the neutral could award you anything from zero to full back pay IF you win your appeal. So, if you're out of a paycheck for 9 months & don't get any back pay, then it is up to you through a private lawyer you paid for to try & recoup your lost earnings; all stemming from your posting the carrier didn't like. Yes, you may win, and yes, your right to free speech may have been violated if your case ever makes it to trial (and you may win some money.)

...But, the point of all this is do you have the time & can you incur the expenses to hopefully, one day, win your case, receive some money, and maintain your employment? My guess is most of us aren't in a financial position to wait around 2 years or better to make a stand on principle & seek justice for being wronged & running afoul of a draconian company policy. And, there are A LOT of "IFs" in the steps of the appeals process! Therefore, I'm just recommending comply with their BS policies as best you can & don't venture down that long road if at all possible, saving yourself time, money, & anguish.

====================
                  Having posted all that, I notice your avatar is from the URR. Being a smaller company if they are giving you some sh!t about something, I'd ask them to produce their "social media policy" & see if they have one in place. (Or if parent holding company, Transtar, has a policy, does it govern URR?) Were you made aware of the policy (and how were you informed of it,) if one exists?
                  Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

This is a disturbing trend but predictable

6 30 12 Judge Decision on Harris Twitter Subpoena
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by FELA FELLA; 07-05-2012, 07:11 AM. Reason: Upload Decision
                    Steve Gordon
                    Gordon, Elias & Seely, L.L.P.
                    FELA Lawyer
                    FELA Lawyer Blog
                    Serving Injured Railroad Employees Nationwide
                    Call for a FELA Lawyer 24/7/365
                    800-773-6770

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
                      here's a novel idea.........don't use facebook...........just use yardlimits.....we don't know who you are so you can feel free to tell the truth.
                      This is simply not true. I dont hide who I am, and many others whether they like it or not easily give away who they are. I dont care who anyone on here is but I know who alot of people are (including high ranking company officials) but they are here for same reason I am. You cant come on here and bitch about train such and such at location such and such and not figure out who it is. Hell even if you bitch about a supervisor at a larger terminal you are only talking about a few hundred people in most cases in transportation and it dont take long to weed people out. Its not to say you cant share the truth, but dont think this is post whatever you want with no chance of recourse by the carrier. It has happened on NS (not to me) but I know to others it has.

As another poster said just dont post information that you would not discuss face to face with management. I also advise adopting a disclaimer such as I have and many members on here have adapted for their own tastes to add a layer of protection for free speach. Its actually funny that NS TV that is broadcast at many larger NS terminals actually advises to use a disclaimer and it is almost verbatum mine that I have used almost since the day I joined. Another forum member seen it and notified me of it.
                      --all postings by this poster are public information and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad-for their official position please see the particular carriers website

Comment

Well, true enough....
                        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

I'll say this. I posted a pic, that was on his personal Facebook account, of another employee on Facebook and made a statement about him stepping up. Went to EEO with it. Was told by supervisors to take it down before it became an issue with EEO. Pathetic, and I did take it down.
                          This year, "Santa" is passing out a lump of coal to the Kenova District.

Comment

I can tell you from personal experience that stuff you post on facebook or even here for a matter of fact can get you in trouble with your carrier. I was HFS for 24 days, almost terminated for something I posted on this website. Read up on your social media policies.

Comment

Because we live in America, the land of hurt feelings and entitlement.

Comment

Working...
                              X