United Health Care Cutting off Prescriptions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
    I take Copaxone myself, and it is spendy...I mean it would wipe out most if not all of a retirees money. I have no trouble getting it, and my copay is as it would be with other non generics. But to get it paid, I had to get a letter from my doc to the Hospital Association that it was necessary for me to have it. Once they got that, I was approved. But since it is not automatically on the formulary I have to get a new waiver number if and when I change pharmacies. And my HA has put me on mail order, and it so happens that the mail order pharmacy is owned by the third party drug company that supplies coverage for us. Go figure, but they are right on the money every month calling me to see when to send more meds. Copaxone is pretty mainstream as MS meds go, and it's efficacy is legend...heck I am still working!!!!!!!!!...............So you ought to be able to get something worked out. Here's hoping. And if there's no dice, before fleeing to Mexico...call www.sharedsolutions.com . They can work with your insurance and even get you some discounts and even free Copaxone if worst comes to worst.
    Jonny;
    Already there and waiting to hear. They say we should be good-but we are running for the border even if they set us up. Somehow I got the idea that anything can get knocked out of my hand at any time...now where would have I gotten that idea? At any rate I will feel much better when the Nogales farmacias are a few hour drive-like a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    Blizz
    Attached Files

Comment

I have considered what will happen when I get on Medicare part D. If I get it from my HA, which does offer it, I should be OK....so they assure me, but lots can change in 15 years. Good Luck.
      sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

I have considered what will happen when I get on Medicare part D. If I get it from my HA, which does offer it, I should be OK....so they assure me, but lots can change in 15 years. Good Luck.
        As I understand you can buy catastrophic medications in Canada also for a fraction of US costs. We are currently waiting to hear what this Medicare special program have to say about the wife's Copaxone problem-but I do have a backup plan if this one gets slapped out of out hands.

Comment

Medco now Express Scripts; no changes foreseen
          Medco now Express Scripts; no changes foreseen

April 30, 2012

Many UTU members obtain their prescription drugs through Medco, which has been acquired by Express Scripts following Federal Trade Commission approval of the corporate combination.

Notwithstanding the acquisition by Express Scripts of Medco, UTU members receiving mail order prescriptions through Medco will continue ordering and receiving their medications as they have in the past, without any changes.

All packaging and labels will remain the same, as will addresses and phone numbers for pharmacy-related questions and other information. Nor will there be a need to change retail pharmacies or alter home delivery orders in any manner.

The combined Express Scripts and Medco, known as pharmacy-benefit managers (PBMs), now control 40 percent of that market, according to the Economist magazine. PBMs, reported the Economist, encourage consumers to fill their prescriptions through the mail instead of going to a more costly pharmacy.

Express Scripts recently launched a program, ScreenRx, which utilizes software to sift through hundreds of factors that affect patients and forecast who is most likely to forget a refill or simply stop taking their drugs. The company then plans to contact those patients to help them stick with their doctor’s orders.
          ---

Comment

Under the new provisions MEDCO can now throw your catastrophic meds into MEDICARE and MEDICARE coverage on these is piss poor in our case. We are still waiting to hear on the special program run by the manufacturers and Medicare to see if we can get the $5,000.00 a month costs down to something less ruinous-but I am casting a eye towards the Mexican border. Wasn't retirement supposed to be a relaxing time? I am dodging more bullets now than I ever did! Bastids!

Comment

My box of copaxone was priced at $4128 and change. At 5 large you are being gypped. Not that 4g is cheap!
              sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

My box of copaxone was priced at $4128 and change. At 5 large you are being gypped. Not that 4g is cheap!
                I hope you are not paying straight up-nobody could afford it. I am uncertain if MEDCO would drop you or not if you retired or otherwise left the railroad but it is a fact that they drop spouses for sure. We are still waiting to see on the MEDICARE special program. 1.5k a month in Mexico or 1k a month from Canada are the prices for direct purchases and it might come to that.
                Blizz

Comment

No I am not paying, but it ain't lost on me, that for the five or six years I've been taking it, with those costs; I will never pay enough premiums to cover the cost of my insurance! Acck! Further to anger is that the price rises about 20% every time it goes up! If you can get it cheaper over the border without getting it confiscated, mo power to ya, but I hope one of the domestic options works out. So much simpler.......
                  Last edited by jonnyseeandoh; 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

No I am not paying, but it ain't lost on me, that for the five or six years I've been taking it, with those costs; I will never pay enough premiums to cover the cost of my insurance! Acck! If you can get it cheaper over the border without getting it confiscated, mo power to ya, but I hope one of the domestic options works out. So much simpler.......
                    Domestic would be the best-but even if that works out...I am keeping a close eye on the border option-just in case.

Comment

Update;

They are cutting off ALL catastrophic prescriptions for retirees and you will be thrown into Medicare if you or anyone in your family has a real medical problem. You can thank those fine gentlemen at UTU for pimping this one on us! Ah well, just another knife in my back and it's only one of many. There are drug company sponsored Medicare programs that will assist you with catastrophic costs (5k a month for us if we just had Medicare!) but you better make damn sure you got your bases covered if you go to retire and have someone with serious problems in your charge.
                      Last edited by blizzard07; 07-02-2012, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard07 View Post
                        They are cutting off ALL catastrophic prescriptions for retirees and you will be thrown into Medicare if you or anyone in your family has a real medical problem. You can thank those fine gentlemen at UTU for pimping this one on us! Ah well, just another knife in my back and it's only one of many. There are drug company sponsored Medicare programs that will assist you with catastrophic costs (5k a month for us if we just had Medicare!) but you better make damn sure you got your bases covered if you go to retire and have someone with serious problems in your charge.
                        I swear we've discussed this before.

Yup, and I merged your post in to the existing thread on the topic.
                        Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
                          I swear we've discussed this before.

Yup, and I merged your post in to the existing thread on the topic.
                          Roll your eyes if you must-this is one unpleasant subject for a lot of people. But...well real men face the facts no matter how unpleasant and this must be faced.
                          Been do some calling around and the count is now three-3- people I know for whom these new rules have amounted to a "work till you die!" sentence.
                          Who led us into this ambush? I think you know my read on that one! Why did they do it? Well that's for you to sort out as I am done with it all!
                          Vaya con dios, amigos.
                          Blizz
                          PS. THE SWINDLE that was perpetrated on railroad employees in PDF; https://host1.medcohealth.com/art/me...lary_value.pdf
                          Last edited by blizzard07; 08-09-2012, 08:41 AM.

Comment

It' real fellas...if I couldn't get my med under my insurance, or some other way, I would not be able to take it, and time would tell, but I probably would end up on disability. But alas, come retirement where will I be? I take the same med and that stuff is going up in price EVERY quarter. I don't know what the answer is, but somebody better cough a good one up.

Comment

It' real fellas...if I couldn't get my med under my insurance, or some other way, I would not be able to take it, and time would tell, but I probably would end up on disability. But alas, come retirement where will I be? I take the same med and that stuff is going up in price EVERY quarter. I don't know what the answer is, but somebody better cough a good one up.
                              We got a letter from MEDICARE-MEDCO TOTALLY cut my wife off from all drug coverage- yesterday saying that things would be changing after the first of the year. I have got to wonder if this has anything to do with the elections? At any rate; if you are close to retirement you had better reconsider if you or yours require catastrophic medications. I assume that people who run into medical situations that require catastrophic medicine would be similarly SCREWED OVER-so if you are between 60 and 65 do not become ill. This is one huge swindle perpetrated on Railroad employees that nobody wants to talk about. UPDATE ON THE COPAXONE SITUATION; we are waiting until JAN 1 to see if the Copaxone company renews the wife's coverage program. If so we can finally exhale. If not we pack and run for Mexico-at 5k a month there is no choice. BUT ANYHOW...Steve-for a retiree under 65 what happens with his MEDCO coverage if he/she suddenly becomes ill and suddenly needs catastrophic Meds? The wife qualified for Medicare a few years back but, what would happen with someone new to catastrophic illness and under Medicare age? I assume that a person in such a horrendous situation would eventually be covered by Medicare but would MEDCO cover them in the meantime?
                              Blizz
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by blizzard07; 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X