Wondering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering

Is it possible to stay with the BLET, but use the local membership to hire a retired attorney to be our local chairman?

Comment Confined

I cannot speak to the Rules and Bylaws of the BLET on whether this practice would be a violation. But I see no reason, confining my analysis solely to the ethics governing lawyer behavior, why a lawyer, retired or not, could not serve in that capacity. Of course, there may be relationships the lawyer has, both past and/or present, that would make serving in that capacity a "conflict" as that terrm is defined by lawyer's ethical restraints.

I will let someone else comment on how your proposal works with BLET guidelines for serving.

Steve
    Steve Gordon
    Gordon, Elias & Seely, L.L.P.
    FELA Lawyer
    FELA Lawyer Blog
    Serving Injured Railroad Employees Nationwide
    Call for a FELA Lawyer 24/7/365
    800-773-6770

Comment

Originally posted by FELA FELLA View Post
      I cannot speak to the Rules and Bylaws of the BLET on whether this practice would be a violation. But I see no reason, confining my analysis solely to the ethics governing lawyer behavior, why a lawyer, retired or not, could not serve in that capacity. Of course, there may be relationships the lawyer has, both past and/or present, that would make serving in that capacity a "conflict" as that terrm is defined by lawyer's ethical restraints.

I will let someone else comment on how your proposal works with BLET guidelines for serving.

Steve
      BLET Bylaws

LOCAL DIVISION RULES

Qualification for Office

Section 2.(b) Only members who do not hold membership in any other labor organization which purports to represent locomotive engineers and meet the requirements of active membership a 1 s defined in Section25(b) – Local Division Rules may be elected delegate or alternate delegate to the ND, general chairman of the GCA, local chairman, vice local chairman, or legislative representative or delegate to the state legislative board to any office in the local division.

Active Service – Active Membership – Membership

Section.25(b) “Active membership” shall be understood to mean employment in an operating craft on surface, subway, or elevated lines, or holding seniority as such, or those holding seniority as aforementioned and employed exclusively by the BLET, or appointed to official positions on railroads.

Comment

Thanx so much for the responses, if anyone else has been through this process or has some advice how to proceed, it would be much appreciated!

Comment

Your local union should elect an active member who is square on the books, and further has been such a member at least two years. Nothing prohibits your division from retaining an attorney in a advisory capacity who is knowledgeable of what the local chairmen do, conversant on the railroads rules, and it's enforcement tactics. But at all times the local chairman must decide how to proceed for individual cases. I wonder if the GC would be insulted however, if the LC were getting his advice from an outside attorney? He would have every right to be.
          sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

We do have a solid LC, but I cannot see how the GC would be offended when the GC is the main problem with lack of interest in our RR for over 20 yrs. This is really an issue we are facing, complete lack of representation on so many levels, it just seems to make sense to get someone to help us (and the LC) at the local level.

Thanx Again!

Comment

Working...
            X