Fired for not joining union.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iron Bender View Post
    So you support the war in Iraq because that is what the majority of Americans voted for?
    do you support non union companies killing people like the recent coal mine disaster??
    -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
      I dont know. I may feel the same way if it were me. I hired out in a union shop, even though I did not really understand it. Recently our union has seen new life and it is wonderful. Im probably the last person anyone would think would end up being such a strong union supporter. I finally see the benifits.

However, if I hired out as non union, especially with 15 years in before they organized, I may see it a diferent way and agree that he should be given the option to stay a company man WITHOUT the union protection and work for the wage the company saw fit.

On the other hand.... a majority of his coworkers saw a need and the union, like a chain, is only as strong as its weakest link.
      Well maybe in time he will see the benefits as well. That would be the union selling itself and earning its membership instead of forcing people to join.

How about if some company made donating to the Republican party a condition of employment? Is that okay as well? How would that sort of coercion be any less fair than forcing people to join a union in order to continue their employment?

Comment

Originally posted by Hog&Tow View Post
        please show the class an industry "both unionized & non union" where the union job is being paid less. thanks in advance.
        Then why the need to force people to join?

Comment

do you support non union companies killing people like the recent coal mine disaster??
          I don't support companies and/or their employees using unsafe practices regardless of union affiliation.

The Metrolink-UP collision at Chatsworth killed a similar number of people. Using your logic, we could imply that it was because of the unionized companies. Which would be incorrect. Just like your inference.

Comment

Then why the need to force people to join?
            I never said there was a "need." I said I don't like people that talk bad about unions while soaking up all the benefits that came to them ONLY through organized labor's tireless work.
            -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

I don't support companies and/or their employees using unsafe practices regardless of union affiliation.

The Metrolink-UP collision at Chatsworth killed a similar number of people. Using your logic, we could imply that it was because of the unionized companies. Which would be incorrect. Just like your inference.
              I thought Metrolink employed non union contractors??
              -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

I never said there was a "need." I said I don't like people that talk bad about unions while soaking up all the benefits that came to them ONLY through organized labor's tireless work.
                I can agree to an extent. But come on. Stay on topic. The OP didn't say anything bad about unions and after 15 years of working in a non-union shop I doubt he has soaked up too many union negotiated benefits.

Comment

I am still curious if the union got him a pay raise, lowered health costs and offers him representation at an investigation. I am really not trying to beat up on anyone here. Just curious if the union has offered little help or if this is simply a right to choose issue.
                  All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Well maybe in time he will see the benefits as well. That would be the union selling itself and earning its membership instead of forcing people to join.

How about if some company made donating to the Republican party a condition of employment? Is that okay as well? How would that sort of coercion be any less fair than forcing people to join a union in order to continue their employment?
                    Don't know about your union, but ours said Obama sucked and Hillary was great and the PAC shipped moniez. Later after Hillary was neutered, they said Obama was great and the PAC shipped more moniez... Some of which was taken from the dues I pay.

Is donating to the Democrap Party a condition of being Union?

Comment

I've considered this when someone poasted about the "non-union" oil spill but then figured the 'Red Herring' argument would be questioning whether the BLE/UTU operated trains killing people and trainmen, or dumping chlorine in towns would have been any less disastrous whether union or not.

Would you support Union companies killing people like the Wilberg Mining Disaster?

EDIT: They were attempting to break a production shift record and clipped the methane detectors so they could continue mining without the long waller shutting down if methane rose. This according to a freind of mine who worked there when I was UMWA.
                      Last edited by 6MaxNL; 05-06-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 6MaxNL View Post
                        Don't know about your union, but ours said Obama sucked and Hillary was great and the PAC shipped moniez. Later after Hillary was neutered, they said Obama was great and the PAC shipped more moniez... Some of which was taken from the dues I pay.

Is donating to the Democrap Party a condition of being Union?
                        Speaking of that..... isnt there a law that allows you to withhold a percentage of your dues which goes towards political campaigns?

That used to chap my ass worse than anything. I wouldnt hear SHIT from my union until election time. Then my mailbox was full of crap telling me to vote for so and so Democrat and proudly endorsed by my union. I even got a letter telling me to buy Obama's book. WTF?
                        All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

the union had to have been voted in by a majority plus 1 of the people employed in the craft desiring union representation. its not forced. its not the union doing something it shouldn't. the people spoke and elected whatever union to come in and hopefully make a better working environment.
                          --all postings by this poster are public information and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad-for their official position please see the particular carriers website

Comment

In addition to what gsxr just posted...What part of the forum rules do you guys not understand? THIS is not a political forum. It's entitled, "The Legal Department > Ask an Attorney - with Steve Gordon of the Gordon & Elias Law Firm." Ask, discuss, but, keep your politics out of it.
                            NS should not require warm up exercises. We get enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running down our bosses,knifing friends in the back, dodging responsibility and pushing our luck.

Comment

Originally posted by batman View Post
                              In addition to what gsxr just posted...What part of the forum rules do you guys not understand? THIS is not a political forum. It's entitled, "The Legal Department > Ask an Attorney - with Steve Gordon of the Gordon & Elias Law Firm." Ask, discuss, but, keep your politics out of it.
                              As a mod you have a delete/edit button, no?

Comment

Originally posted by 6MaxNL View Post
                                As a mod you have a delete/edit button, no?
                                Yes I do. But, with a simple delete/edit, they/you may not get the drift. Keep your politics out of this forum.
                                NS should not require warm up exercises. We get enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running down our bosses,knifing friends in the back, dodging responsibility and pushing our luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X