Fired for not joining union.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hog&Tow View Post
    yeah....especially if it's a scab that needs understanding.
    How can someone who hired into a non-union shop be a scab?

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Bender View Post
      How can someone who hired into a non-union shop be a scab?
      I'll use the term as I see fit. you don't have to cross a picket line to be a scab in my book. if you bash unions while soaking up all the benefits that unions busted their asses to get workers, I will call you a scab.
      -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

I'll use the term as I see fit. you don't have to cross a picket line to be a scab in my book. if you bash unions while soaking up all the benefits that unions busted their asses to get workers, I will call you a scab.
        Okay, so where did the OP bash unions?

Comment

So all the BLE members who bash the UTU here are scabs?

That is what you just said.

Comment

Originally posted by SBRR404 View Post
            Its too bad it doesnt work that way, Its the will of many forced down the throat of a few..... WOW that sounds like a goverment program.
            You are entitled to feel how you want and if you feel so strongly, why dont you find a job that is non union?

EDIT: It would be more like a govt program if it were the will of a FEW forced down the throats of MANY. In your case, this is how it should work. The majority of your coworkers wanted to unionize so they did. Thank them.
            Last edited by BadOrderKing; 05-06-2010, 02:36 PM.
            All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
              You are entitled to feel how you want and if you feel so strongly, why dont you find a job that is non union?
              The OP did find a non-union job. 15 years ago. Why should he now have to lose it because he sees no benefit in joining a union?

Comment

I'll take "union jobs pay better" for 300, Alex.
                -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

Things are constantly changing in the work environment. One needs to either change with them, or change their job. Even as a union member, there are items I vehemently disagree with, but in the bigger picture I can live with them.

If the scab and those that support "Right to Work" workers in a now union location,as voted upon by the majority of the work force, then allow them to negotiate their own wages and health benefits with the company too. If the company wants to pay the minimum wage as allowable by law, so be it. Allow them to also go outside of the union and hire legal counsel for any job-related issues where they're getting screwed over by the carrier for claims, availability, etc. Allow them to fall under the thumb of a dick-head supervisor. Shun them at every opportunity but don't instigate a hostile work environment. Just ignore them and allow them to drift off into their own demise. Scabs know exactly what they are, as do the general public and their family, friends and neighbors.

Comment

I'll take "union jobs pay better" for 300, Alex.
                    If that is always true, then why the need to force people to join?

Comment

The majority of your coworkers wanted to unionize so they did. Thank them.
                      and the majority of Americans voted for what our government is supposedly "ramming down our throat"
                      -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

The OP did find a non-union job. 15 years ago. Why should he now have to lose it because he sees no benefit in joining a union?
                        I dont know. I may feel the same way if it were me. I hired out in a union shop, even though I did not really understand it. Recently our union has seen new life and it is wonderful. Im probably the last person anyone would think would end up being such a strong union supporter. I finally see the benifits.

However, if I hired out as non union, especially with 15 years in before they organized, I may see it a diferent way and agree that he should be given the option to stay a company man WITHOUT the union protection and work for the wage the company saw fit.

On the other hand.... a majority of his coworkers saw a need and the union, like a chain, is only as strong as its weakest link.
                        All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

and the majority of Americans voted for what our government is supposedly "ramming down our throat"
                          So you support the war in Iraq because that is what the majority of Americans voted for?

Comment

Originally posted by 6MaxNL View Post
                            ".....Allow them to also go outside of the union and hire legal counsel for any job-related issues where they're getting screwed over by the carrier for claims, availability, etc.....
                            I hardly think that a Union member hiring a non-DLC should be shunned upon in any way. The legal system should be open to all and anyone should be completely free to hire the lawyer they choose.
                            Steve Gordon
                            Gordon, Elias & Seely, L.L.P.
                            FELA Lawyer
                            FELA Lawyer Blog
                            Serving Injured Railroad Employees Nationwide
                            Call for a FELA Lawyer 24/7/365
                            800-773-6770

Comment

If that is always true, then why the need to force people to join?
                              please show the class an industry "both unionized & non union" where the union job is being paid less. thanks in advance.
                              -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

I will concede this point as well. The system worked. Not in the way I wanted it to, but we have the result of the will of the people.

Hopefully it wil change.

Comment

Working...
                                X