Fired for not joining union.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired for not joining union.

Can I be fired for not joining the union? Within the last year the company has agreed to a union shop clause. I am an employee with 15 years seniority and upon original employment joining such union was NOT a condition of employment.

IT would be up to the union, but most likely they would freeze your seniority, which wouldn't hurt you today, but every time someone above you retires or quits, you don't move up, so eventually you'd be back on the bottom. It depends on a lot of things though. So called right to work laws generally do not apply on railroads that are interstate and under FELA, but that might be different on a totally in state operation. I don't know why you wouldn't want to be a member of an organization that tries to help you get better working conditions. But, if you just can't do it there is an option, you could pay the dues that pertain to your representation but withhold those that might be used for other purposes. Look around the property for a so called "Beck Poster" or google it. That tells what your options are in a closed shop.
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Comment

I was trying to be diplomatic.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

This is where I learned union diplomacy... UMWA

"Speak softly and carry a big stick." - Theodore Roosevelt
          Last edited by 6MaxNL; 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I curious to know your non-union pay wage and health costs VS Union wages.
            All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

I would like to know why the shop decided to organize? What issues were not or could not be adressed by your employer?

Comment

Originally posted by SBRR404 View Post
                I would like to know why the shop decided to organize? What issues were not or could not be adressed by your employer?
                Why wouldnt they?

I am willing to bet the answer to my first question will reveal the reason for organizing.
                All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by rseantan View Post
                  Can I be fired for not joining the union? Within the last year the company has agreed to a union shop clause. I am an employee with 15 years seniority and upon original employment joining such union was NOT a condition of employment.
                  Most Union contracts have a self executing clause wherein if you do not pay dues, you CAN be terminated. Even dues "objectors" pay dues although they "believe" they don't.
                  The "union" was obviously voted on by the rank and file within the company and persons to be represented, and they voted to have a Union represent them. While you may disagree with them, the majority of the folks you work with thought to the contrary of what you wanted for yourself. To allow you not to participate and garner the same wages/benefits/protections as those that pay dues essentially drives a spike in the whole deal as far as what "union" means and can do.

Comment

Some peoples' ideas of freedom sure are interesting.

Unions should have to earn their memberships, not force people to join under the threat of unemployment.

It's bullshit if he is threatened with termination or loss of existing seniority for not joining any organization that he doesn't support and was not a condition of his original employment.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Bender View Post
                      Some peoples' ideas of freedom sure are interesting.

Unions should have to earn their memberships, not force people to join under the threat of unemployment.

It's bullshit if he is threatened with termination or loss of existing seniority for not joining any organization that he doesn't support and was not a condition of his original employment.
                      Its too bad it doesnt work that way, Its the will of many forced down the throat of a few..... WOW that sounds like a goverment program.

Comment

Originally posted by SBRR404 View Post
                        Its too bad it doesnt work that way, Its the will of many forced down the throat of a few..... WOW that sounds like a goverment program.
                        WOW you sound like a butt sore Republican.
                        -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

Originally posted by Hog&Tow View Post
                          Sorry SBRR404....I know I am a Moderator here and all but....I must say that Hog&Tow made me :lmao:!!!
                          Steve Gordon
                          Gordon, Elias & Seely, L.L.P.
                          FELA Lawyer
                          FELA Lawyer Blog
                          Serving Injured Railroad Employees Nationwide
                          Call for a FELA Lawyer 24/7/365
                          800-773-6770

Comment

Originally posted by Hog&Tow View Post
                            You need to be more tolerant and understand that not everyone shares your enjoyment of having it rammed into one of your orifices.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Bender View Post
                              You need to be more tolerant and understand that not everyone shares your enjoyment of having it rammed into one of your orifices.
                              yeah....especially if it's a scab that needs understanding.
                              -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

Working...
                              X