X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama UTU Secretary-Hand In Cookie Jar

Transportation Union Secretary-Treasurer in Alabama Pleads Guilty

Submitted by Carl Horowitz on Fri, 07/24/2009 - 16:42

Christopher Scott Tidwell had bills to pay. Unfortunately, he thought his union would be a good source of paying them off. Tidwell, 32, formerly secretary-treasurer of United Transportation Union Local 1261 in Lineville, Alabama, pleaded guilty in federal court on June 30 to embezzling about $22,000 in local funds. Indicted in early May, Tidwell during January 1, 2006-February 26, 2008 allegedly forged the signature of the local president on several checks and pocketed the money. He stated a need to pay for household and other personal expenses. Tidwell also pleaded guilty to asset forfeiture. Sentencing is scheduled for October 1. The action follows an investigation by the U.S. Labor Department's Office of Labor-Management Standards.

Comment: This is really sad. There are so many hard working Union members that give their all and are strictly honest. This kind of thing just puts bad publicity for Union members. It is the same thing we lawyers experience. The vast majority of lawyers are good people but there is always that one bad apple.
    Steve Gordon
    Gordon, Elias & Seely, L.L.P.
    FELA Lawyer
    FELA Lawyer Blog
    Serving Injured Railroad Employees Nationwide
    Call for a FELA Lawyer 24/7/365
    800-773-6770

Ex-NJ rail union official gets 1 year for theft

The Associated Press
    NEWARK, N.J. - The former treasurer of a transit and railroad workers union who pleaded guilty to embezzling more than $60,000 from the union has been sentenced to a year in federal prison.
    At sentencing Tuesday, 44-year-old Richard Klemser of West Long Branch also was ordered to pay restitution of about $64,000.
    Klemser pleaded guilty in January to stealing money from Machinists Local Lodge 1041. It represents workers for NJ Transit, CSX Transportation, Norfolk Southern and Conrail.

COMMENT: I thought rather than post a new post each and every time a "bad apple" gets caught, I would just post it in this thread. I think overall it is newsworthy, but since 99% of all Union members are straight-up, honest, hard working folks that give because they want to make the world a better place and not for what they can "get out of it", I thought it would be honoring these jerks too much to give their antics more than one post.

Steve Gordon
    New Jersey FELA Lawyers | Railroad Worker Injury Attorneys Newark NJ |
    Steve Gordon
    FELA Lawyer
    FELA Lawyer Blog
    800-773-6770

Comment

steve-the ibt-international brotherhood of teamsters puts out a nice full color magazine monthly. the last several pages are names of people charged with crimes against the union. it looks like alot of people but considering they have over 1 million members it is only a drop in the bucket. but it does make for good reading. i would read it over at my ex girlfriends parents as he was a retired teamster.
      --all postings by this poster are public information and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad-for their official position please see the particular carriers website

Comment

Originally posted by gsxr1000mxz800 View Post
        steve-the ibt-international brotherhood of teamsters puts out a nice full color magazine monthly. the last several pages are names of people charged with crimes against the union. it looks like alot of people but considering they have over 1 million members it is only a drop in the bucket. but it does make for good reading. i would read it over at my ex girlfriends parents as he was a retired teamster.
        I get that mag, interesting reading to be sure.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Gotta be careful Steve.

You mention a conviction of an officer in one rail union, and you will have someone from that union jump in and say 'Hey, look at this corruption in the competitors union.'

Mention an internal spat in one rail union, and then you will have someone from that rail union try to deflect the light beam to an internal spat in another rail union.

Kinda like my two kids when they get to into trouble for fighting with each other - it always ends up with them saying 'I hit him because he did this' or 'I pushed her because she did that'

The UTU and BLET may be working well together on the National level now, but it hasn't filtered down to everyone yet.

The Union Hall board is littered with threads where the topic was originally a story about one particular thing in the BLET or UTU, and before you know it, it is a BLET VS UTU thread. And 'Katie bar the door' if it is a UTU guy starting a topic about BLET corruption/in-fighting/contracts or BLET guy starting a thread about UTU corruption/in-fighting/contracts.
          Last edited by Zeb; 08-16-2009, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Good post Zeb;

If you're dirty, you're dirty. Doesn't matter which union you belong to. I don't think Steve's original post was meant to stir anything up, rather to bring awareness as to how it makes all unions look bad when something like that happens. Same with GSXR's post. I think it's great that the IBT publishes that information. Dishonesty should never be covered up.

HB
            Last edited by Hornblower; 08-16-2009, 09:23 AM.
            "Never argue with an idiot; people watching might not be able to tell the difference".

Posts by Hornblower are merely opinions of Hornblower and are for entertainment only. Hornblower does not represent any railroad anywhere. Feel free to pass over any post that offends you.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeb View Post
              Gotta be careful Steve.

You mention a conviction of an officer in one rail union, and you will have someone from that union jump in and say 'Hey, look at this corruption in the competitors union.'

Mention an internal spat in one rail union, and then you will have someone from that rail union try to deflect the light beam to an internal spat in another rail union.

Kinda like my two kids when they get to into trouble for fighting with each other - it always ends up with them saying 'I hit him because he did this' or 'I pushed her because she did that'

The UTU and BLET may be working well together on the National level now, but it hasn't filtered down to everyone yet.

The Union Hall board is littered with threads where the topic was originally a story about one particular thing in the BLET or UTU, and before you know it, it is a BLET VS UTU thread. And 'Katie bar the door' if it is a UTU guy starting a topic about BLET corruption/in-fighting/contracts or BLET guy starting a thread about UTU corruption/in-fighting/contracts.
              zeb-my post was not to cast stones at the ibt. after all they put the magazine out for all to see and dont hide the fact of internal issues. and as i said it looks like alot until you realize they have somewhere in the range of 1 million members or affiliates.
              --all postings by this poster are public information and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad-for their official position please see the particular carriers website

Comment

Ohio UTU Rep Charged With Embezzlement

Rail Transportation Local Treasurer in Ohio Charged with Embezzlement

Submitted by Carl Horowitz on Mon, 08/17/2009 - 18:44

For almost three years, Michael Kelly avoided detection when it came to stealing from his union. Now his greatest concern will be how to avoid a prison sentence. On July 2, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Ohio filed an information count against him for embezzling $97.970.71 from United Transportation Union Local 586, where he had served as secretary-treasurer. Prosecutor's allege that Kelly, now 55, used various methods to embezzle funds from the Crestline (near Mansfield), Ohio local and then cover up his acts. The union represents workers of CSX Transportation Inc. in Crestline and other northern Ohio communities.
                Federal prosecutors say that during January 2004-November 2006, Kelly, a former CSX employee, issued numerous unauthorized union checks payable to himself that he knew either to be unauthorized or well in excess of his salary and expenses. At times, those checks were made out either to a family member or a third party on behalf of a family member. He then would enter these amounts in financial records as "salary and expenses." To conceal his misrepresentations, Kelly allegedly used the following four methods: 1) forged the signature of the union local president; 2) issued and negotiated checks that contained only his signature; 3) falsely recorded the payee's name on the union disbursement control ledger; and 4) allowed family members to make and forge his name as a signer. The information count follows a probe by the U.S. Labor Department's Office of Labor-Management Standards.
                Steve Gordon
                FELA Lawyer
                FELA Lawyer Blog
                800-773-6770

Comment

Originally posted by FELA FELLA View Post
                  Rail Transportation Local Treasurer in Ohio Charged with Embezzlement

Submitted by Carl Horowitz on Mon, 08/17/2009 - 18:44

For almost three years, Michael Kelly avoided detection when it came to stealing from his union. Now his greatest concern will be how to avoid a prison sentence. On July 2, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Ohio filed an information count against him for embezzling $97.970.71 from United Transportation Union Local 586, where he had served as secretary-treasurer. Prosecutor's allege that Kelly, now 55, used various methods to embezzle funds from the Crestline (near Mansfield), Ohio local and then cover up his acts. The union represents workers of CSX Transportation Inc. in Crestline and other northern Ohio communities.
                  Federal prosecutors say that during January 2004-November 2006, Kelly, a former CSX employee, issued numerous unauthorized union checks payable to himself that he knew either to be unauthorized or well in excess of his salary and expenses. At times, those checks were made out either to a family member or a third party on behalf of a family member. He then would enter these amounts in financial records as "salary and expenses." To conceal his misrepresentations, Kelly allegedly used the following four methods: 1) forged the signature of the union local president; 2) issued and negotiated checks that contained only his signature; 3) falsely recorded the payee's name on the union disbursement control ledger; and 4) allowed family members to make and forge his name as a signer. The information count follows a probe by the U.S. Labor Department's Office of Labor-Management Standards.
                  wow!!! thats a chunk of money for a local to have go missing. must be a pretty good sized local.

Comment

Ohio Union Rep-Pleads Guilty

Secretary-Treasurer of Ohio Rail Transportation Local Pleads Guilty

Submitted by Carl Horowitz on Mon, 09/21/2009 - 16:07

On July 30, Michael Kelly, former secretary-treasurer for United Transportation Union Local 586, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio to one count of embezzling funds in the amount of $97,970.71. The guilty plea follows an investigation by the Labor Department's Office of Labor-Management Standards.

Steve Gordon
                    FELA Lawyer
                    FELA Lawyer Blog
                    800-773-6770

Comment

Transportation Union Regional Officer in Minnesota Charged

First Submitted by Carl Horowitz on Thu, 12/31/2009 - 17:55

On November 13, Edward Kobe, former general chairman of United Transportation Union General Committee of Adjustment 325 in Duluth, Minn., was charged in U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota with one count of embezzlement of union funds for a period covering 2005-06. The union represents employees of Duluth, Winnipeg & Pacific (DW&P) Railway. The charge follows a joint investigation by the U.S. Labor Department's Office of Labor-Management Standards and the Railroad Retirement Board's Office of Inspector General.
                      Steve Gordon
                      FELA Lawyer
                      FELA Lawyer Blog
                      800-773-6770

Comment

Working...
                      X