FMLA Renewal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMLA Renewal

Ok I posted this alreadly in another section but figured this thread might be more appropriate here. I recently was approved for FMLA, but in my application the time period was for one year. The company approved my application but only gave me a window of 6 months and therefore will have to reapply again. I have asked others in my terminal that have FMLA and they too were only granted 6 month periods as well.

The company used to grant 1 year periods before renewing. I am guessing that this started all because of the carrier not being able to take your vacation and paid leave days when you use FMLA. I spoke to my local chairman and he said there are individuals that have to renew every MONTH for FMLA! Can the carrier legally set the time period for renewal or are we supposed to get the maximum one year term allowed?
    Last edited by nilknarf; 06-11-2009, 08:40 PM.

Originally posted by nilknarf View Post
    Ok I posted this alreadly in another section but figured this thread might be more appropriate. I recently was approved for FMLA, but in my application the time period was for one year. The company approved my application but only gave me a window of 6 months and therefore will have to reapply again. I have asked others in my terminal that have FMLA and they too were only granted 6 month periods as well.

The company used to grant 1 year periods before renewing. I am guessing that this started all because of the carrier not being able to take your vacation and paid leave days when you use FMLA. I spoke to my local chairman and he said there are individuals that have to renew every MONTH for FMLA! Can the carrier legally set the time period for renewal or are we supposed to get the maximum one year term allowed?
    http://www.dol.gov/compliance/laws/comp-fmla.htm

FMLA runs out every year at the end of the year. if you get it in July it still has to be renewed at the end of the year. I have never heard of monthly renewals.
    Last edited by Hog and Tow; 06-11-2009, 06:55 PM.
    -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

I actually got it in late February and they only gave it to me until August when I will have to reapply for it. And yes there are some at my terminal that the company is making renew their FMLA monthly. IMHO the company probably feels these individuals are using/abusing FMLA too much so they are making it harder on them.

What pisses me off is it costs me $25 every time to renew it (processing fee from my medical provider). So now I have to pay 2x as much because they want to screw everyone. Guess it could be worse, I could be paying that every month .

Originally posted by Hog&Tow View Post
      FMLA runs out every year at the end of the year. if you get it in July it still has to be renewed at the end of the year. I have never heard of monthly renewals.
      Correct me if I am wrong, but i thought your FMLA does not run out at the end of the calendar year. You are only allowed to take 84 days (12 weeks) FMLA per calendar year Jan-Dec. Once the new year starts, the 84 days you are allowed to take per year resets beginning Jan 1st. You used to be able to apply for FMLA at any time during the year and renew it when the your year time period was up. For example if you had FMLA from Mar '08 thru Mar '09 you just had to renew before Mar '09 came around.
      Last edited by nilknarf; 06-12-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nilknarf View Post
        Ok I posted this alreadly in another section but figured this thread might be more appropriate here. I recently was approved for FMLA, but in my application the time period was for one year. The company approved my application but only gave me a window of 6 months and therefore will have to reapply again. I have asked others in my terminal that have FMLA and they too were only granted 6 month periods as well.

According to DOL's guidelines an employer CAN make you "recertify" for a serious health condition before the one year period expires (see attached under "certification" on page 4) Also take a look at the provisions the employer must follow and that costs for sending you back to Dr. are to be paid by the employer, not the employee.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Excon421; 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I have a question....I was released from service for absenteeism...now the dates I missed work I marked off FL (FMLA) on the UP. Anyway, only after the investigaton did I recieve word I was covered by FMLA from 8/2005 to 12/31/2005 my days in question was October 2005. Now, I went to PLB and lost, but I have all the paperwork stating I was covered under FMLA during that period for the Superintendents office...HE SIGNED IT. Anyway, I ee legal advice...I plan to secure a lawyer IF the Supt. refuses my leneincy plea. Can you offer ANY advice? SAW
          I knew the train was on the other track that whole time, I was just testing your ass ha ha!!!

Comment

Working...
          X