Justice Souter Steps Down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice Souter Steps Down

After being on the U.S, Supreme Court for 18 years, Justice Davis Souter is stepping down. A U.S. Supreme Court Judge, as all federal judges, are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. Once confirmed, absent conviction of a felony or a "high crime" are there for life. Justice Souter was nominated by George Bush senior and was suppose to be a "conservative" jurist. However, he surprised the liberals in the U.S. and, generally voted with the liberal members of the court. His appointment was widely looked at by the conservatives as one of George Bush Sr.'s failures as a president. Interestingly, in a FELA case, Justice Souter, though not writing the majority opinion, wrote a very long concurring opinion in a FELA case. However, in that case, Norfolk Southern Railway Company v. Sorrell (2007), he actually wrote an opinion that might be considered as not supportive of the injured worker. He was not hostile to the worker under FELA, he was just, in his opinion and methodology, being academically honest. A professional friend of mine here in Houston that mainly practices maritime defense work, wrote an interesting article on the impact of the Sorrell decision and, in the article, he discusses the Souter concurrance. You can see the article at:Room for Debate on Proximate Cause versus Relaxed Standard of Causation in a Jones Act Context It will be very interesting on who President Obama nominates. Steve Gordon FELA Claim Lawyer | Railroad Employee Injury Attorney | Railroad Worker Injury | Train Accident
    Steve Gordon
    Gordon, Elias & Seely, L.L.P.
    FELA Lawyer
    FELA Lawyer Blog
    Serving Injured Railroad Employees Nationwide
    Call for a FELA Lawyer 24/7/365
    800-773-6770

Giving up a $200K+ a year job is really hard to believe. No wonder all the justices are fossils on that bench.

HB
    "Never argue with an idiot; people watching might not be able to tell the difference".

Posts by Hornblower are merely opinions of Hornblower and are for entertainment only. Hornblower does not represent any railroad anywhere. Feel free to pass over any post that offends you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornblower View Post
      Giving up a $200K+ a year job is really hard to believe. No wonder all the justices are fossils on that bench.

HB
      I really thought it would be Justice Stevens to immediately announce. When George Jr. won the first time, I thought there was no way that Stevens could live four more years more to see if a Dem won in 2004. Then, when Georgie won in 04', I thought it was all over for sure. But win Obama won, I truly thought the next day you would see an immediate announcement from Justice Stevens. Maybe he is fossilized in his chamber and nobody knows! Souter was a surprise.
      Steve Gordon
      Gordon, Elias & Seely, L.L.P.
      FELA Lawyer
      FELA Lawyer Blog
      Serving Injured Railroad Employees Nationwide
      Call for a FELA Lawyer 24/7/365
      800-773-6770

Comment

Originally posted by FELA FELLA View Post
        I really thought it would be Justice Stevens to immediately announce. When George Jr. won the first time, I thought there was no way that Stevens could live four more years more to see if a Dem won in 2004. Then, when Georgie won in 04', I thought it was all over for sure. But win Obama won, I truly thought the next day you would see an immediate announcement from Justice Stevens. Maybe he is fossilized in his chamber and nobody knows! Souter was a surprise.
        Was not such a suprise that he held out til after the election.
        All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

I had expected Ginsburg to step down for health reasons first...
          Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

Working...
          X