No announcement yet.

What is all that stuff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I carry a large battery powered cooler, holds a 30 pack and a half pound of grass!
    "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." - Confucius

Comment

I only marked up about three or four months ago, but for the moment, I'm using an Osprey backpack that I got on sale during training. It's light and durable and holds all of the rulebooks Amtrak wants us to carry, some first-aid and essential-type stuff (flashlight, spare radio battery, et cetera) and a paperback book. If I bring something to eat, I have a separate lunch bag for that. The runs at my crewbase are short, so extra clothes and stuff usually aren't necessary. As it's getting into winter, though, I may want to start packing an extra layer or two, and the bag I have now can be tough to get into if I need to look at bulletins or something. I'm giving some serious consideration to picking up one of those Red Oxx bags- they've gotten pretty rave reviews, from what I've read. Pricey, though, and dragging one through the snow may not be as easy as having a backpack.

Comment

Originally posted by FaustianSlip View Post
        I only marked up about three or four months ago, but for the moment, I'm using an Osprey backpack that I got on sale during training. It's light and durable and holds all of the rulebooks Amtrak wants us to carry, some first-aid and essential-type stuff (flashlight, spare radio battery, et cetera) and a paperback book. If I bring something to eat, I have a separate lunch bag for that. The runs at my crewbase are short, so extra clothes and stuff usually aren't necessary. As it's getting into winter, though, I may want to start packing an extra layer or two, and the bag I have now can be tough to get into if I need to look at bulletins or something. I'm giving some serious consideration to picking up one of those Red Oxx bags- they've gotten pretty rave reviews, from what I've read. Pricey, though, and dragging one through the snow may not be as easy as having a backpack.
        Don't worry about toting that Red Oxx, the strap on that things holds onto your shoulder and never lets go. I love mine.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

That's good to hear- although I just checked out the Red Oxx site and discovered that they now have a rucksack designed for railroaders. The price is decidedly not cheap, but jeez, that thing looks fantastic. I may have to start putting some money away for a future purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by FaustianSlip View Post
            That's good to hear- although I just checked out the Red Oxx site and discovered that they now have a rucksack designed for railroaders. The price is decidedly not cheap, but jeez, that thing looks fantastic. I may have to start putting some money away for a future purchase.
            Yeah when I was working in Montana there was a guy at my terminal that was testing that rucksack for them. This guy was crazy about Red Oxx. He had all the Red Oxx shit even the phone case.
            Is that you John Wayne??? Is this me???

Comment

I recommend the Red Oxx bags too! I've had mine for 2 years and it's still going strong. I pack a new change for the trip back home or if I get soaked out while working in the rain, workout clothes, toothbrush, pens, a book, snacks, and the phone charger.

Comment

I must be one of the guys who over pack, but in my opinion never over prepare. I'm just short of being ready for Doomsday with all the supplies I carry. I'm often asked what the heck to you got in there? I when someone uses the buddy system and says hand down my grip, I warn them that it's heavy. Usually, they don't ask to use the buddy system next trip out.
                I'm thinking of going with a rucksack/backpack and figure that would be better than using a shoulder strap bag. I've broken several shoulder straps off of bags since I hired on the RR.
                sigpic

Comment

I carry a pair of jeans, 2 changes of socks and underclothes. The 2nd pair is mainly if I get soaked enroute and a need a dry change (or for when I rot at the afht). bathroom kit. Rule books and miscellaneous forms, timetables, etc. a small lunch pail. raincoat. Thermos. radio and lantern also. I don't carry a computer since I'm able to do most things on my phone.
                  In wintertime I carry more and it is bulkier.
                  I usually can use just a mid-size duffel and my lunch pail for everything. I like and use the red-oxx bag, mostly because I can organize it decently (lots of pockets to dedicate to various types of things).

Comment

What's in YOUR lunchbox?

Notepad (for my inspired thoughts)
                    Pretzels (out of the hardshell for display)
                    Cellphone (nonfunctional - stolen from stepdaughter after she went joyriding in my car)
                    Pacset battery (cuz I don't feel like waiting for you to go back to the shanty for your spare)
                    Phone charger (120 VAC in the shanty only)
                    Spare glasses (in case mine jump off my head)
                    Aleve (cuz this place gives me a headache)
                    Bug spray (Houston. I'll say no more)
                    Earbuds (that I never use)
                    Flashlight
                    Extra gloves
                    Hand sanitizer
                    Itch relief (for eyes, pollen drives me crazy)
                    Zippo flints (cuz the wife keeps hiding them)
                    Reverser
                    Air gasket
                    Catch-22 (one of the best books of the 20th century)
                    Super glue (to be used with safety pins...)
                    Safety pins (... to repair old lunch box)
                    Corkscrew (for AFHT use)
                    Hardshell (to protect the pretzels, crackers, chips, etc)
                    Spare pens (can't have too many)
                    Smarties (cuz)
                    Hawaiian Punch (cuz)
                    Ear plugs (in case I forget)
                    MW Authority to Occupy Main Track No. 1384183 (I don't care what the GN says about TYE having their own one size fits all, you NEED this)
                    TY&E Track Bulletin Restrictions Form No. 1326196 (oh, just use the blanks on your wheel)
                    BNSF gift card (nothing rewards safety like $25 at the company store)
                    Trash bag
                    Crossword puzzle (half finished)
                    Paper (Arbitration awards, contract excerpts, etc)
                    Silverware (enough for the entire crew, cuz I eat well)
                    Time book
                    Pickle pouch (????)
                    Kindle (yes, it does have GCOR, ABTH, etc.)
                    Sudoku book (shh...)
                    Misc. track charts (rrmaps.com is the bomb!)

My food goes in the other compartment...
                    And the White Russian is not included.
                    Attached Files
                    "Stupid's in the water these days
                    They're gonna drink it anyways"
                    Chris Knight

Comment

Knew a guy that packed all clean sheets and a pillow for the hotel. Always wore gloves. Three huge bags every trip. Germ freak.

Comment

Originally posted by 8'nsandman View Post
                        I must be one of the guys who over pack, but in my opinion never over prepare. I'm just short of being ready for Doomsday with all the supplies I carry. I'm often asked what the heck to you got in there? I when someone uses the buddy system and says hand down my grip, I warn them that it's heavy. Usually, they don't ask to use the buddy system next trip out.
                        I'm thinking of going with a rucksack/backpack and figure that would be better than using a shoulder strap bag. I've broken several shoulder straps off of bags since I hired on the RR.
                        so you revived this thread from 2009? damn. I work with some guys that carry. you know....."carry" ..... & I can't blame them one damn bit. it's one of the unwritten rules of the road. "I don't ask & you don't have to tell me." just thought I'd add this to the list of things we may not need but sometimes include. as you were.
                        -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
                          Knew a guy that packed all clean sheets and a pillow for the hotel. Always wore gloves. Three huge bags every trip. Germ freak.
                          Was he called Straubio?

Comment

Working...
                          X