What is all that stuff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is all that stuff?

Since the day I started work I have always carried the same type of bag to work.
    6TVCAVYCOSGCAUYSKX0CAHEQHWJCAGS95ARCA1UF58OCABZYRQKCALO5SRVCA5B6A3BCAXR1DSNCA7HBK6ICA66HGLVCA6W0.jpg
    Many of the guys I work with or see some days have bags as big as me! Or carry multiple bags crammed full.
    So my question is, other than the obvious RR required stuff, what else do you carry with you? Ive wondered this many times. Wondered if they carry something that may be a good idea that I havent thought of.
    So tell me, what is all that stuff??
    Duck tape is silver, silence is golden.

Originally posted by ktbugg196 View Post
    Since the day I started work I have always carried the same type of bag to work.
    [ATTACH]586[/ATTACH]
    Many of the guys I work with or see some days have bags as big as me! Or carry multiple bags crammed full.
    So my question is, other than the obvious RR required stuff, what else do you carry with you? Ive wondered this many times. Wondered if they carry something that may be a good idea that I havent thought of.
    So tell me, what is all that stuff??
    I have often wondered that myself kt.

When I was on the road, way back when we still had cabooses, one bag with a change of clothes and my shaving gear was enough for me. Of course back then we didn't have laptops, playstation2's, xboxes, or all the other electronic gadgets your generation has. The rule book back then fit in your back pocket, and the timetable was about the size of one of the silly-ass pamphlets the carrier mails us from time to time.

I would venture to guess most of the stuff you refer to is a lot of electronic gear and maybe TWO changes of clothes since the carrier tends to let you guys rot at the away from home terminal a lot longer than they let us.

GOC

Comment

clean change for the trip home. workout clothes. shaving kit.thermos.blow up doll.......just the usual stuff.
      -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

1) brief case style bag has all BNSF required materials in it. This bag goes on all trips short and long

2) lunch box - cooler

3) backpack with change of clothing, usual shaving gear, laptop.

Comment

I carry what I need. Money, keys, comb, wallet, lighter, hanky, pen, cigarettes, contraceptives, vaseline, whips, chains, whistles, dildos and a book.
          "I HAVE MADE MY FINAL POST ON THIS FORUM. MY THANKS TO A FEW WHO HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFULL, HOWEVER I AM NOT GOING TO WASTE MY VALUABLE REST, READING AND RESPONDING TO "US vs THEM" VITRIOLIC PEOPLE."

Comment

I take a change of underwear, a laptop (so I can get on yardlimits at the hotel), my iphone, rule books, medicine kit, a book (always have a book), a travel type coffee mug, a flashlight, and all manner of little crap the clutters up my bag.

Which reminds me, I better clean this sucker out before I go to work today!

I manage all this in one backpack and a binder. I see guys making the same trips that I do carrying several bags and I also always wonder just what is in all that crap that they can't live without for 24 hours?
            I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and to bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I see some guys carrying so much shit, they look like they are going on a Safari.
              "I HAVE MADE MY FINAL POST ON THIS FORUM. MY THANKS TO A FEW WHO HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFULL, HOWEVER I AM NOT GOING TO WASTE MY VALUABLE REST, READING AND RESPONDING TO "US vs THEM" VITRIOLIC PEOPLE."

Comment

Since I have been out here, I've always carried one big duffel bag with all my RR crap in the main compartment, a changef underwear, socks,and T-shirt in one of the end compartments, and a couple of books, magazines, and some non perishable snacks in the other.

The only problem was, that sucker was heavy as hell when its fully loaded. And it makes trying to climb up the narrow steps and platform a pain in the ass to get into the cab. Not to mention its hurts my shoulder and my back if I have to carry it for any distances.

I think whenever I get back to work, I am going to get me one of these tool cases from Harbor Freight Tools to keep all my RR crap in, and I'm going to get a much smaller duffel for my clothes and hotel reading materials. Finally, Im going to start carrying my Coleman Cooler as well, for my snacks and meals, because eating out at toxic diners is really packing the pounds on me.
                Attached Files

Comment

When on road duty,I carry a leather messenger bag with required company material,and another for change of clothes,and bath kit,I think I'm also gonna start carring a cooler. Have carried a laptop a few times-gonna check out one of them little ones wal-mart is selling for 350 just for getting on-line at AFTH.
                  I may not be king..But..ITS GOOD TO BE QUEEN

Comment

Originally posted by JohnEasley View Post
                    I see some guys carrying so much shit, they look like they are going on a Safari.
                    we have a hogger that carries everything in Walmart bags. hell, he'll have 6 or 8 of them. takes two trips on & off the engine to load them all.
                    -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy View Post
                      When on road duty,I carry a leather messenger bag with required company material,and another for change of clothes,and bath kit,I think I'm also gonna start carring a cooler. Have carried a laptop a few times-gonna check out one of them little ones wal-mart is selling for 350 just for getting on-line at AFTH.
                      fyi, i have one and it is great! i got a dell through sams for 250. its small enough to fit in my purse, which i do carry at work.
                      Duck tape is silver, silence is golden.

Comment

Originally posted by Hog&Tow View Post
                        we have a hogger that carries everything in Walmart bags. hell, he'll have 6 or 8 of them. takes two trips on & off the engine to load them all.
                        We have a hogger who carries a portable Coleman Grill with two burners and his own little gas tank along with it. He is about the cheapest bastard we have out here, but man can he cook!

Comment

Since I don't work the road I don't need a large grip.
                          I have a small grip with my thermos, foodbag, rule books, extra flashlight, batteries and things I found I needed over the years.
                          Nope, Mr. RFE, that isn't a shim....nope, no shim here.

When I worked the road I carried 2 grips, 1 with the same stuff I carry now and then another with food and clothing. But no, I never carried those big bulky boxes.
                          When the metal ones started coming out, I witnessed a conductor drop his engineers box right on his face! To this day I won't assist a conductor with metal grip....LOL
                          I see the "moron meter" pegged you! It never fails...EVER!

Comment

One High Sierra computer bad for all required stuff from NS and CSX plus extra 1043 BTs, Dynamic Brake forms, rubber bands (for sanders), extra pens, and my "notebook" of other useful info. such as track charts, RR phone numbers, etc.

Small "gym" bag with change of clothes, shave kit, "medicine kit", and some snacks for return trip.

Small lunch box that only "Team Linwood" was given for my "real" food. May need to start using the bigger lunch box/cooler the road guys finally got so I can take more food and quit spending so much money on the road.

If my "buddy" isn't around to help and no one else is watching I can safely carry all three at one time and still dismount the motor.

Use to have one conductor that everything and I mean everything in one bag. Dang thing weighed nearly 70 pounds. I was afraid it was gonna pull me off the engine when I would try to be his "buddy" or that he was gonna drop it on me before I was ready. Attached is a picture of him trying to put the bag on the engine by himself one day.
                            Attached Files
                            "Question with boldness, hold to the truth, and speak without fear." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I still don't get it. When I was a conductor, I still carried everything is a small bag, and that included the food! How many track warrant books does a guy (or girl) need?

Comment

Working...
                              X