Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nuclear Missile Silo Tour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nuclear Missile Silo Tour

    This last week I was in southern Arizona and got to tour a retired nuclear missile silo. It's called the Titan Missile Museum and it was really interesting to see. First you sit through a short ten minute video that explains a little about nukes and the Cold War. Then you proceed underground several stories to check out the complex through a guided tour. The guides carefully walk you through explaining the function and history of everything you see. The main two parts of the tour are the launch center and the missile silo. The whole thing is roomier than I would have imagined and it doesn't even feel like you're underground. It's really worth checking out.

    Titan Missile Museum website
    ....wasn't allowed to post website but it can be googled easily

    Also the National Park Service runs a similar one in South Dakota
    ...Minuteman Missile National Historic Site

  • #2
    Originally posted by Cornly View Post
    This last week I was in southern Arizona and got to tour a retired nuclear missile silo. It's called the Titan Missile Museum and it was really interesting to see. First you sit through a short ten minute video that explains a little about nukes and the Cold War. Then you proceed underground several stories to check out the complex through a guided tour. The guides carefully walk you through explaining the function and history of everything you see. The main two parts of the tour are the launch center and the missile silo. The whole thing is roomier than I would have imagined and it doesn't even feel like you're underground. It's really worth checking out.

    Titan Missile Museum website
    ....wasn't allowed to post website but it can be googled easily

    Also the National Park Service runs a similar one in South Dakota
    ...Minuteman Missile National Historic Site
    I went through it in Feb of 2011. Very interesting. Our guide actually worked as a command officer in that silo when it was active. The silo doors are welded open so that the Russian satellites can confirm that it is deactivated. We went through a mock launch. Go see if you get the chance.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rrbob View Post
      I went through it in Feb of 2011. Very interesting. Our guide actually worked as a command officer in that silo when it was active. The silo doors are welded open so that the Russian satellites can confirm that it is deactivated. We went through a mock launch. Go see if you get the chance.
      The tour guides I met were knowledgeable, but it would have been real interesting to have the command officer as a guide. I would have loved to ask what his plans were after turning that key! They never mentioned on the tour if they had any directives or if they should just sit there with fingers crossed.

      Oh I know...group hug!

      Comment


      • #4
        If WWIII should ever start, stay away from Minot ND, Great Falls MT and Cheyenne WY.

        Aim Points in the U.S. Nuclear Arsenal | Center for Strategic and International Studies

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cornly View Post

          The tour guides I met were knowledgeable, but it would have been real interesting to have the command officer as a guide. I would have loved to ask what his plans were after turning that key! They never mentioned on the tour if they had any directives or if they should just sit there with fingers crossed.

          Oh I know...group hug!

          As for after the key turn. Ever wonder why sealed in launch officers carried?
          Norfolk Southern:
          Reinventing Faliure. Everyday

          Comment

          Working...
          X