Vermont

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont

Just saw a documentary about Vermont. Looks like a pretty amazing place. Thinking me and the Mrs. might want to make a trip in the fall. Anyone been?

HB
    "Never argue with an idiot; people watching might not be able to tell the difference".

Posts by Hornblower are merely opinions of Hornblower and are for entertainment only. Hornblower does not represent any railroad anywhere. Feel free to pass over any post that offends you.

I lived there for 3 1/2 years. Very nice place to vacation, not so much to get a job.

Comment

Go in the fall, rent a motorcycle......colors are something if you've never been.

Comment

Went a couple of years back, flew into Burlington and rented a car and made all the sidetrips from there. Had a great time and I would like to do it again.
        Suggest seeing the Shelburne museum (Burlington), driving up to Canada (real close). St. Albans (Civil War site), Montpelier (capital) some neat shops not much else though. The Stowe/ Waterbury area have stuff to do as well (i.e. Ben and Jerry's)

I went in the first week of October (2009) while there was snow (higher elevations) the leaves were @ 60%.

If you go, have a good time. If you plan on going to Canada it helps to have a passport too.

Comment

What about hospitality? Here in the south people fall all over one another to take care of you, would I get friendly treatment up there?
          sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by Hornblower View Post
            Just saw a documentary about Vermont. Looks like a pretty amazing place. Thinking me and the Mrs. might want to make a trip in the fall. Anyone been?

HB
            Dad used to take my brother & I on vacation there, sometimes twice, EVERY summer. Kind of a tradition for him going back 50 years or better including my half-siblings.

I would recommend fall, as I saw one poster already did. The colors are surreal around the first week in October. If you're not burned out from trains at work, take the Green Mountain Railroad excursion up along the Connecticut River from White River Junction, VT. I'm sure they'll run some lengthy trips for the leaf peepers in the fall months.

If you care to "sled" or snowboard, the winter months are usually worthwhile. You have Stratton, Smugglers Notch, Killington, Bromley and Sugarloaf all in the Green Mountains.

Also, don't forget Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory near Waterbury, VT (about 25 miles north of Montpelier).

More shit in that little state than you can see in a year. Shame the only railroad who pays worth a damn is the New England Central (Future Hogger might have a copy of their agreement, but I'm thinking over $22/hr, OT after 8?).

Most of the smaller towns have totally rejected chain hotels & stores in favor of rural living. There are a variety of motels along US 7 between Rutland and Bennington (another Revolutionary War town). Manchester has shopping for the Mrs, and I'd recommend the drive to the top of Mount Equinox. If you're never been there, it'll take you to a special "happy" place, lol.

As the bumper stickers used to say, "ILOVERMONT". PM me if there's a particular interest you have, Hornie. It's practically home when I go to visit my folks, who retired up there 20 years ago.

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
            What about hospitality? Here in the south people fall all over one another to take care of you, would I get friendly treatment up there?
            From the native New Englanders...probably, yes. Think "Newhart" if you're that old.

From the metro-DC jerkoffs up the coast to metro-NJ and NYC scum who build vacation homes & need a fucking Walgreens or Walmart every 20 miles?...not so much.
            Last edited by knuckledragger; 07-08-2011, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X