US Virgin Islands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Virgin Islands

I'm planning a trip to the US Virgin Islands... anyone been, have any suggestions on real nice places to stay, must see points of interest etc?
    Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

I will be watching this one closely as I have thought the same.
    sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
    ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

Comment

Heeey that's my favorite place. I like Sugar Bay resort. Very nice hotel. Saint John is a good place to spend the day. Coki Point beach is gorgeous that is on Saint Thomas. Lots of folks like Magens Bay as well.

Comment

St John is a good place to spend at least a week! Much more laid back and safer than St Thomas and Croiux. The snorkeling and beaches are awesome. Booking a trip there in April. Booked villa on VRBO website in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by 8isenough View Post
          St John is a good place to spend at least a week! Much more laid back and safer than St Thomas and Croiux. The snorkeling and beaches are awesome. Booking a trip there in April. Booked villa on VRBO website in the past.
          We stayed at Sugar Bay on St. Thomas & really enjoyed it. It is one of the last all inclusive places in the USVI. We wanted to go over to St. John, but we stayed busy & enjoyed relaxing at Sugar Bay. The Westin is available on St. John, but generally speaking, the lodging options were fewer & a little less to do there. 2/3 of St. John is a park / nature preserve. And, after traveling with the wife all day (flew down,) I don't know if she could have handled a ferry ride from St. Thomas to St. John... and if our plane was late, causing us to miss the last ferry, she would not have been pleased.

I did get the feeling it was best to stick to the tourist areas or on the resort, as after dark, there were some sketchy looking areas on St. Thomas. St. Croix was out... I think it's like 40 miles / 40 minutes away & not much comparatively to do there.

In general, I hate the beach, the sand, the heat, & humidity... but I'd go back there in a second.
          Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
            We stayed at Sugar Bay on St. Thomas & really enjoyed it. It is one of the last all inclusive places in the USVI. We wanted to go over to St. John, but we stayed busy & enjoyed relaxing at Sugar Bay. The Westin is available on St. John, but generally speaking, the lodging options were fewer & a little less to do there. 2/3 of St. John is a park / nature preserve. And, after traveling with the wife all day (flew down,) I don't know if she could have handled a ferry ride from St. Thomas to St. John... and if our plane was late, causing us to miss the last ferry, she would not have been pleased.

I did get the feeling it was best to stick to the tourist areas or on the resort, as after dark, there were some sketchy looking areas on St. Thomas. St. Croix was out... I think it's like 40 miles / 40 minutes away & not much comparatively to do there.
            I'm planning a March/April trip to St John with my wife. St john is really laid back, but it's paradise. I got 8 kids and don't want any crowds or assholes on a tour bus when I'm on vacation! The west end of St John is Cruz Bay, that is about the only town on the island. It has everything you need. We stayed in Coral Bay, 2nd biggest town and not much to it! We rented a car in St Thomas at the airport in our 07 trip and loaded our luggage and took the ferry to St John for 10 days. I wouldn't do it without a car, well worth the money to be able to cruise the island and beach hop. The snorkeling is awesome and we pretty much hit a couple beaches a day and kicked back at night.
            I have about 10 rentals saved in my favorites to consider for our trip, rates from $800-1200 a week. I find them on VRBO and Homeaway websites. Most of the beaches had very few people, we had many to ourselves. The east end of the island is beautiful. My wife doesn't want to be woke up before like 9:00, so I would get up early and explore solo. I can't wait to go back!
            I want to feel safe cruising or walking an island, I felt totally safe on St John. I felt like we would be killed a couple times during our 2 days on St Thomas! On St John you have the Westin and Caneel Bay for all inclusives.
            Last edited by nsrlink; 12-11-2011, 10:30 PM. Reason: Fixed [/quote]

Comment

I'd go to one of those Carribean Islands if I could find one that isn't eat up with tourists and tourist traps. When I travel, I like to find places only locals know. Go to towns that aren't very noted. It's refreshing to see everybody do the same thing I do....work...work....work...sleep a little....work.
              sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
                I'd go to one of those Carribean Islands if I could find one that isn't eat up with tourists and tourist traps. When I travel, I like to find places only locals know. Go to towns that aren't very noted. It's refreshing to see everybody do the same thing I do....work...work....work...sleep a little....work.
                Sounds like St John. No crowds or big towns and tourist traps. I get a car and explore on my own and most beaches we were alone on.
                I'm buying my airfare very soon for an April trip! My wife keeps bringing up cruises, I have NO desire to be on a big boat with a bunch of people for a week!! That won't happen!

Comment

Alaska cruising is the way to go for that......everybody so much more easy going.
                  sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Trip is booked! Airfare paid and deposit set on villa. $1024 total villa cost for 8 nights, not bad.
                    Jonnysee-It doesn't get much more laid back than St John! Its 75% national park. if your looking for nightlife and touristy shit then St John is not for you. You want no crowds and the most beautiful beaches around, St John is it!
                    Beach walking distance from the villa, sound like I could see sharks in this bay while snorkeling!

this trunk bay, don't see many big hotels, crowds or billboards here!

Comment

Hmmmm....that ...a cabana with a veranda....and a bar worthy of Hemingway........yup that's the place for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X