A month of busy TTI action, Old GE's, Rock and Coal trains in KY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A month of busy TTI action, Old GE's, Rock and Coal trains in KY

I have spent about every free day for the last month and a half out shooting the TTI (Trans-Kentucky Transportation) between Paris and Maysville. , The line has seen a recent surge of activity after being VERY slow for the past 2 or 3 years. A new coal contract, plus a series of test trains of scrubber stone have had them running 3 or 4 days a week since August, and the past month has been particularly busy. The almost regular trains plus some great weather have kept a lot of us around here on the road between Paris and Maysville,KY a lot. Early mornings and a lot of driving have been the norm, and very much worth it. While I used to shoot the TTI a lot back 15 years ago or so, I had not done much with them since then, and its been great to be able to shoot some of the old spots and enjoy some of the new.

While its not entirely clear yet, it seems that they will be back to low traffic levels over the winter, and things will start slowing back down next week. When your business revolves around coal and power plants, it can be a toss of the dice as to what you might have to haul from month to month. Its been fun while it lasted, and hopefully it wont be to long to they are back running every day.

I finally finished up processing on well over 80 new images going back to the middle of September, and have them all uploaded to my gallery. Here are a few teasers, but be sure to check out the entire set at this link >>>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/tti15

On a perfect sunny morning, the TTI crews pumps air on 60 cars of limestone in the yard at Paris.

On the CSX (C&O) main along the Ohio River in Maysville, KY

The brown corn of Fall and Blue & White GE's near Clark, Ky

Passing the Maysville Catholic Cemetery on the C&O main , Maysville, KY

Southbound empties head down the valley at Clark, Ky under a big sky.

TTI 5815 leads a Southbound across the placid waters of Stoner Creek in Paris, Ky
    E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
    Salvisa, KY

I thought that all the old GE like that were gone...well a few Uboats on Pickens railroad.....man what a dinosaur....and I kinda miss 'em....just a little bit.
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Great shots like always!

Comment

Thanks guys. There are still a lot of those B36-7's around, but I think TTI probably has the largest fleet of them in service. Those things are better suited for short, fast pig trains than they are for lugging 90 car coal trains up 2% grades, but they get by with them the best they can. Put 5 or 6 or 9 on a train and go for it.

They also the last remaining (running) U28B, which switches the barge facility in Maysville. As far as I can find from research, its the only one in the world left running.
        E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
        Salvisa, KY

Comment

I actually liked running them, I don't know why, they load like they are just getting ready for a nap....and the wheelslip is wretched....but something about them. Once you got them going, they went!
          sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

What I disliked the most about the old GEs, besides their poor throttle response, was the cab. The thing looked and felt like it was actually designed for small children to occupy.
            "A guy can't just sit around." Lawnchair Larry

Comment

As usual, awesome pictures, that last one though, is winner winner chicken dinner my man! Those old GEs might be cool to photograph & watch, but I don't miss running them. I agree with Coyote, those cabs were so small & the damned narrow doors & "straight up" steps to get on & off sucked. The cabs always smelled like old hot piss too with that tiny "bathroom."
              Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

All the bad stuff all have mentioned is truly earned by those pigs, and very much the truth....but they were strange beasts that could delight you in some odd way sometimes. It was also with a warped death-wish that I would retreat to the backside of the electrical cabinet to read the annunciator and figure out which electrically charged relay to poke my paw into to reset it. These engines were designed by electrical engineers and not locomotive engineers, and you darn near had to be an electrician to figure a recalcitrant one out. But as I say, when they wanted to go, they got up and went. There was never any rhyme or reason as to whether they would, just sometimes, they did.

Comment

Johnny, most common GE fault of that era: f#ck the Hot Diodes light is on AGAIN!!
                  Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Or the LOPHR or LWPHR needed to be reset where you had to go outside and behind the cab in the "electrical room" to reset them....

Comment

BTW Nice pics EM, was down there a few years ago and they were pretty busy, some friends recently went and they're not so busy as they once were.......

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
                        Johnny, most common GE fault of that era: f#ck the Hot Diodes light is on AGAIN!!
                        Dash 8's can do that too! Had one a couple months ago.....Arrrrrgh!

Comment

Working...
                        X