New NS EMD's in the Kentucky Snow on the Gut Line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New NS EMD's in the Kentucky Snow on the Gut Line

This past weekend was a great One here in Central Kentucky if you like EMD's and bad weather. We had another round of winter Saturday morning, with 2 or 3 inches of new snow (on top of the 17 inches from earlier in the week) followed by several hours of sleet and freezing rain that put a nice frozen crust on everything.

With the roads being bad, I didn't head out till Saturday afternoon, and didn't get to far away from home when I did. My main focus for that little adventure was Westbound train 22A on the Louisville District with a Year old SD70Ace leading. 22A almost always has a solid set of GEVO's for power, so this was a nice change. The dark cloudy day and snow lent itself well to shooting a Westbound in the early afternoon...you can really do that on a sunny day.

Sunday, I headed out again for a few trains, including 375 with a 3 month old SD70Ace, and then M67 with a SD70M-2 followed by 223 with a nice SD60E, KCS combo. With as much traveling as we do, it was nice to be able to shoot all that (and in Snow!) and never get more than 5 miles from home.

Here are a few samples, and be sure to check out the whole set (in full size) at this link>>>> NS Louisville District 2015 Photo Gallery by E.M. & Carmon Bell at pbase.com

Saturday 02/21/15

A mix of sleet and rain was falling hard as Westbound 22A worked through the big dip at Convoy, KY. At this point, the head end is about 3/4 of a mile away and starting down the dip.

Coming up the other side of the short but steep 1.4% grade. The entire Louisville District is riddled with territory like this....they dont call it the gut line for nothing!

A few minutes late (after a brief pause at Talmage to meet a Eastbound) 22A crosses the creek in Salvisa, KY just down the road from our house.

Sunday 02/22/15

Westbound 375 comes into East Talmage, KY behind a 3 Month old SD70Ace

As soon as 375 was in the hole at Talmage, M67 comes East with a SD70M-2 leading

223 between Vanarsdale & Talmage, KY with a SD60E leading.
    E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
    Salvisa, KY

Love the telephoto compression effect of the rolling hills. I operate over territory similar to that in places & it is challenging going through the roller coasters.
    Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Working...
    X