A Heritage appetizer on Thanksgiving day

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Heritage appetizer on Thanksgiving day

Thanksgiving day around the Bell house is always a good one..when you have such an accomplished chef such as my wife, it cant be anything BUT good. We got up and went to work in the kitchen, and by Noon I had the turkey in the oven (one of the only things she lets ME cook) , she had the other stuff well under way, and we had about 5 hours to relax. I had not really intended on leaving the house....but..

The Interstate Heritage unit (NS 8105) has been bouncing back and forth between Norfolk and Louisville now on the 22A / 23G circuit for close to a month. It has been through here several times, but never when the sun was out or I had a chance to get out and shoot it. Early yesterday afternoon we got word that it was the DPU on 23G and had left Louisville around 1400 headed my way.

After calculating the running time and trying to figure out what he would have to meet along the way, I figured I might be able to get out and get a couple of shots before dinner was ready. Luck was on my side, and the train got a pretty good trip across the Louisville district, allowing me to run out and shoot them twice, and get back home just in time to carve the Turkey. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had been 10 minutes later getting home.

Check the link for the results of my calculated risk..First Three shots on top of the page. >>> NS Louisville District 2013 Photo Gallery by E.M. & Carmon Bell at pbase.com

My First shot was just down the road from home here in Salvisa KY. My good friends Robert James and Gordon Brandenburg always put on a HUGE display of Christmas lights and other holiday stuff at the James Farm, and that just happens to be right by the tracks. As a side note, if you live in this area, be sure to come over this way at night and check out the display, it gets bigger and bigger every year and is probably one of the most well done (privately) in the state! This is less than 1/4 mile from our house, and the glow in the sky at night is amazing These guys pull out all the stops (including a radio station with Christmas music) These daytime shots don't do it justice!

Eastbound 23G passes the James Farm at Salvisa, KY 11/29/13

And the Interstate 8105 again, reflecting in the waters of Town Branch Creek at Harrodsburg, Kentucky
    E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
    Salvisa, KY
Working...
X