NS Santa trains at Decatur..Classic covered wagons and Heritage power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS Santa trains at Decatur..Classic covered wagons and Heritage power

Yall have already seen my pics from the IC and Keokuk Junction Santa trains, and here is part #3, the NS Illinois Div Santa train out of Decatur.

While I thoughly enjoyed shooting the IC and KJ trains on Saturday, the NS train on Sunday (12/09/12) was a real treat, with the Monticello RR museum providing a Wabash F7 and CN Alco (ok..MILW) , plus several coaches. The EMD/Alco pair lead the Westbound trips, while NS 1070 (The Wabash Heritage unit) led the Eastbound moves. The weather was nothing short of craptastic (as it had been all weekend) with thick fog and a lot of rain, but I think that just added to the images.

NS has not disappointed us this year with all of the cool stuff they have done, and this was a great way to end the year. Where else can you go and shoot classic diesels AND heritage power in one place! The folks with NS and the Monticello museum where as nice as you would find anywhere, and after shooting 3 trips on Sunday morning, I started the long trip home in the rain on 6 hours sleep in the past 4 days, and smiled all the way. My Illinois jinx was broken!

Below are a few samples from our morning with the NS Santa train. The entire set can be found at this link. >>> Norfolk Southern Illinois Div Santa Train Photo Gallery by E.M. & Carmon Bell at pbase.com

Wabash 1189 sits in a cold rain at the NS Decatur shop early Sunday morning (12/09/12) as the crew prepares the train for the days work. Soon, the man in the red suit would board, and they would be ready for the passengers.

The 1189 leads the First trip of the day at Niantic, IL

NS 1070 leads the train East past a set of well maintained Wabash searchlight signals at Righter, Il.

Classic EMD and ALCO power races down the valley of grain elevators at Niantic.

Wabash 1070 looking good in the fog.

Wabash 1189 brings the train around a (rare) curve on the outskrits of Decatur. A curve, fence, tree's in the background...scenery almost unheard of in Illinois!
    E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
    Salvisa, KY

I'm so used to curvy tracks, I'd fall dead asleep if I had to run my train across endless tangent!
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Ah... Curvy, straight; Being a straight shooter I like my women with curves, and my run doesn't matter, as long as it earns me pay, and doesn't put me asleep. Nice pics there though... thanks for sharing sir Bell !!!

Comment

But I do say those period liveries look sharp indeed!
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Working...
        X