The Bumblebee on the CNO&TP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bumblebee on the CNO&TP

Last Friday evening, I had watched the heads up about the VGN 1069 leading train 117 South, but it got into Sharonville Ohio at such an early hour that evening that I figured it would be a night time train across the CNO&TP. I had to go into work for a bit Saturday morning, and figured that 117 was long gone by then anyway. A text that morning from a friend suddenly had me changing plans and getting gone from work quick..

After a rather expedient trip back home to grab the camera and pick up Carmon, we headed south at a High rate of speed. 117 was almost to Danville Ky, and we missed the shot of the VGN and NYC side by side at North Wye by maybe 10 mins, but would have plenty of time to make up for that as it turned out. 275 and 295 where ahead of the 117, and by the time both of those got fuel, we where in place for the rest of the day.

As luck would have it, 275 had a train separation as they left the yard at Danville, which tied things up for over an hour. 117 sat behind the 275 at South Danville, and we waited. By the time 275 was back on the move, 229 (the hottest train on the RR) and 215 (pretty dang warm itself) had arrived at Danville, and our 117 got to sit some more for those two trains to fuel and get South. After almost 2 hours of sitting, the piggies and stacks where finally gone, and 117 got a light at South Danville. From there, we followed them all the way to Burnside, and the delay worked in our favor as it let the sun get around some, allowing for some great lighting the rest of the day..

Below are a few samples of my results from the day with the "Bumblebee" on the CNO&TP. The entire set (more than you are seeing here) can be found over on Pbase in stunning technicolor, HD, 4D, with massive sized images big enough to let you count the seeds in the bird poop on the front of the engine...check em out Grin
    >>>> The NS OCS & Heritage units in 2012 Photo Gallery by E.M. & Carmon Bell at pbase.com

117 eases past the signal at South Danville, running "on permission" following 275. They wouldn't get far before they would stop again to let 229 and 215 by. This makes the 4th heritage unit I have shot here with these old Searchlight signals...I hope I can get a few more before these signals are replaced by something more modern

The 1069 brings 117 across the Green River bridge at Southfork, KY. 3 generations of EMD's in #8 with a tonnage train starting up the grade to Kings Mountain.

We beat them from Kings Mountain to Gradison by only a minute or Two, but even with little time to think about it, I still liked the result here. The 1069 brings 117 through the big dip, with almost a mile of train in the shot..

By the time the train got down towards Somerset, they would wind up sitting at waiting again for a pair of Northbounds. When we got to Burnside a Northbound grain train was hanging back on the bridge on #2 track, which wold have blocked the shot. Luck was on our side again, and the Northbound ran first, allowing for this splendid view of 117 coming across the Cumberland River. A couple of fisherman are out on the water, enjoying the 70 degree winters day.
    E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
    Salvisa, KY

That Virgininan unit is already looking a little dirty! Somebody needs to run it through a wash rack!
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Nice work Mr. Bell.
      Graddison is one of my favorite places.

Wish the engineer would have tightened up that front chain on the Virginian unit. Pet peeve of mine to have a chain drooping like that. (And MU hoses "out," trainline hanging freely & front knuckle open. Sloppy.)
      Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

If it's already been calendar dayed you can't touch it! Gotta remember velocity!
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Mr. Bell you made my day be calling the Virginian the bumblebee! I have coined that name for it myself only to have some idiots say it should be the Hornet because the Reading unit has the 'Bee Line Service' with the bee on it.

OH and NICE SHOTS! the Blue Bird (N&W) and the Bumblebee are my favorite Heritage units!
          Thick as Valve oil, Black, White, and Tuscan Red
          That's how thick the Railroadin' in my blood is!

Ich sehne mich wieder Meister der Iron Horse werden

Nothing about this is normal!

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

1/20/17

Comment

Originally posted by trainman51 View Post
            Mr. Bell you made my day be calling the Virginian the bumblebee! I have coined that name for it myself only to have some idiots say it should be the Hornet because the Reading unit has the 'Bee Line Service' with the bee on it.

OH and NICE SHOTS! the Blue Bird (N&W) and the Bumblebee are my favorite Heritage units!
            It's a yellow jacket.
            The Reading unit has a bumblebee on it & it's the bee.

These childish nicknames for engines are flat our retarded....
            ....so it discussing them.
            Just call the thing the Virginian engine, the Southern unit, etc.

Nevertheless, again, great pics Mr. Bell.
            Last edited by nsrlink; 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM.
            Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

And just what is this?
              ---

Comment

It's pretty sharp....that what it is.

Comment

Working...
                X