In the middle Sunday afternoon blizzard on the CNO&TP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the middle Sunday afternoon blizzard on the CNO&TP

I have been waiting all winter for a good snow, and although we have been teased by Mother Nature a couple of times, it has been a rather dull winter for Kentucky.

That all changed this past Sunday (02/19/12), and Carmon and myself made the most of it. The weather people had really been talking up how much snow we where going to get all of that week, with steadily increasing predictions of 3 to 6 inches for most of the state. I was getting excited, and we where ready to go early Sunday morning...problem was, when we rolled out of bed at dawn there was not a single flake to be seen. After consulting with a good buddy who is about the only weather man I trust, we took his advice and headed South. I had not figured on going to far away from the house, but his predictions where spot on.

By the time we got down to the Somerset / Burnside area, the snow had started. The further South we went, the heavier it got, and by 1:00pm, everything was covered in heavy, wet snow. Just to add to the fun, it was foggy in the valleys, and the roads where almost impassable at times. It seemed like the only things moving where the trains, and us. The afternoon proved to be very busy on the RR, and we slowly moved around trying to shoot as much as we could. The weather and total lack of sun also opened up the chance to shoot a lot of the Northbound's in spots that would not be usable if it had been a sunny day.

It turned out to be a worthwhile trip in the end. We both love to shoot in weather that others would not even think of getting out in, and came away with what I think is some decent material. With the way our weather has been, that might have been our only chance to see any snow this year....but you never know!

I added 20 new Images from the day to my 2nd District Pbase gallery, if yall want to take a look. Just follow this link 2nd District of the CNO&TP Photo Gallery by E.M. & Carmon Bell at pbase.com

Here are a few samples. The stuff at Pbase is a lot higher quality.

Northbound NS 114 rolls through the cut that bypassed tunnel #11, at Parkers Lake, KY

Heavy, wet snow clings to the tree's as 223 rolls South. This storm would knock out power to Thousands later in the day

NS 168 dashes through the winter wonderland at Parkers Lake

A loaded rail train sits in the new yard at Burnside, as a Southbound gets on the move after a crew change

A Northbound rolls across the Cumberland River bridge in a mix of snow and fog. Not much was moving besides the trains this day.

Carmon is about the most colorful thing there was in the otherwise bleak landscape of Southern KY...this gives you an idea of just how crappy the roads got to.
    E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
    Salvisa, KY

Great pics, as usual.

HB
    "Never argue with an idiot; people watching might not be able to tell the difference".

Posts by Hornblower are merely opinions of Hornblower and are for entertainment only. Hornblower does not represent any railroad anywhere. Feel free to pass over any post that offends you.

Comment

Have to chuckle. That is just a small dusting of snow. A blizzard you have to crawl out the second story window of your house onto a 20 foot drift, spend 3 days digging your car out, travel by snowmobile and snowshoe, winds so strong you can't stand up in and trains barely move.

Nice pictures though.

We have been pretty lucky up here, only had a few "good" snows, nothing SUPER. But then again, we are use to lake effect and what is really heavy wet snow. All this means is next winter we will get dumped upon.
      I see the "moron meter" pegged you! It never fails...EVER!

Comment

nice pics as usual....
        Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

Awesome photos as always; thanks for braving the conditions.

I really like the last two in this update: 224 @ Norwood.
          Wish there was a little more snow there, but excellent composition.
          Hot pigs in the snow....NS 224 at Norwood photo - E.M. & Carmon Bell photos at pbase.com
          Northbound 224 is about to top over Norwood hill, as the snow starts to wind down photo - E.M. & Carmon Bell photos at pbase.com

One thing I noticed in around 1/2 the pictures: At least some of the engineer's had enough sense to stuff the MU hoses behind the plow & hang the air hose up. It's such a pain in the ass to thaw those things out once they get clogged up with snow & ice!

NS 215 passes under the intermediate signals at "Cumberland Chair" photo - E.M. & Carmon Bell photos at pbase.com
          I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but isn't this one of the "center sill" signal bridges the Southern home built? 'Nother thing that strikes me about this photo that is lost on today's generation of railroaders: the offset intermediate. The offset was used to indicate that the next signal would be a controlled signal. Whenever "they" do a signal replacement, these days, the signals are just on top of each other vertically. I've always thought that the offset intermediates were a "good thing." (I won't get in to my disappointment with modern signal placement & arrangements, as I think all too often cost & ease of installation out weighs "standardization." (Signals on the left, rip out a 3 track signal bridge & replace it with a 2 track signal bridge & a ground signal, (WTF?) etc. )

At Burnside:
          There are two main tracks, how many yard / holding tracks have they built there?
          Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Throttle, that's probably not a lot of snow for a lot of places, but around here...it was a blizzard. Folks tend to go ape shit at the first mention of a few flakes, clean out the stores and huddle together at home waiting to die from the white death When we get the snow, the most dangerous thing about it is all the idiots that cant drive to begin with, trying to get around in it!

Rlink, they only added Two new tracks at Burnside. They stretch from the CP at Burnside, South to a new control point called 'General". NS had to have spent a ton of cash on those Two tracks, with a couple of BIG cuts that had to widened, and all the signal changes. I don't see how all that is saving any money...Burnside seems to be a black hole that swallows trains and crews for days at a time.
            E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
            Salvisa, KY

Comment

Originally posted by EM Bell View Post
              Burnside seems to be a black hole that swallows trains and crews for days at a time.
              You obviously TAKE excellent pictures. Unfortunately, you're not SEEING the big picture.

The Black Hole is working because the guys who dreamed it up say it's working. It's almost time for SPIRIT Awards and some quality of life initiatives.
              ---

Comment

Mr Bell is a former rail...if not a current one? So he like we shall never see any big picture....there isn't one, they just tell there is so we will feel inferior. Out to work upon my rest......gonna get my starts....or not.
                sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by EM Bell View Post
                  Throttle, that's probably not a lot of snow for a lot of places, but around here...it was a blizzard. Folks tend to go ape shit at the first mention of a few flakes, clean out the stores and huddle together at home waiting to die from the white death When we get the snow, the most dangerous thing about it is all the idiots that cant drive to begin with, trying to get around in it!

Rlink, they only added Two new tracks at Burnside. They stretch from the CP at Burnside, South to a new control point called 'General". NS had to have spent a ton of cash on those Two tracks, with a couple of BIG cuts that had to widened, and all the signal changes. I don't see how all that is saving any money...Burnside seems to be a black hole that swallows trains and crews for days at a time.
                  Detention time everytime I go there.

HB
                  Last edited by nsrlink; 02-28-2012, 11:58 PM. Reason: fixed [/quote]
                  "Never argue with an idiot; people watching might not be able to tell the difference".

Posts by Hornblower are merely opinions of Hornblower and are for entertainment only. Hornblower does not represent any railroad anywhere. Feel free to pass over any post that offends you.

Comment

Former is the Key word. 13 years service before I moved on to bigger and better things (for me anyway). From a personal standpoint, it was the best move I ever made, and yet I still miss the JOB everyday....the rest of BS not so much. . I think that for most rails, if you like your job or not, it gets in your blood and stays there.

The big picture is, and always has been, an abstract. It just depends on how you are looking at it. The painter will always think its a masterpiece, the rest will know the truth.

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
                    Mr Bell is a former rail...if not a current one? So he like we shall never see any big picture....there isn't one, they just tell there is so we will feel inferior. Out to work upon my rest......gonna get my starts....or not.
                    E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
                    Salvisa, KY

Comment

Working...
                    X