Color in the trees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color in the trees

Despite the rain, I went out to shoot a joint CP/VRS/NECR/PW VIP passenger extra this past Wednesday (10/19/11). Here the train is traveling over the Providence & Worcester's Willimantic Branch through Lisbon, CT among some of the changing fall foliage. The train began its journey earlier in the day at Rutland, VT, and was touring the Green Mountain Gateway route, joining CP at Whitehall, NY with the Port of Providence, RI.

[ATTACH]4114[/ATTACH]
    -Tom Nanos
    Lebanon, CT

That train is just a daub overpowered I'd say....makes for terrible handling.
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Perhaps, but I'm sure the choice of power was purely aesthetic in nature. Since this was a run with the big-wigs of all four railroads, the PW wanted their newest and shiniest toy in the lead. And this was it...recently acquired from BNSF (3 in all) and the latest out of the paint booth. I'm sure train handling never came into the decision making process...
      -Tom Nanos
      Lebanon, CT

Comment

Locomotive Engineers invariably ending up regretting such decisions made in a vacuum!
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Neat, that looks like the place where my boys and I used to take the dogs when the boys were little. (Many years ago...LOL) It was way back behind property we owned on a deadend road between the river and the Rt 138 overpass.

So I'm gonna fathom a guess that that is somehere between Rt 138 and Rt 169 on the Willli branch. It looks too wooded to be on the Norwich Main, of course I could be wrong.

Comment

Nuuby-

Willi Branch it is. Ross Hill Road is where I'm standing - which runs between 169 and 138. This spot is closer to the 169 end.
            -Tom Nanos
            Lebanon, CT

Comment

Gotcha, I lived on the next side street after Ross Hill, going west on 138. Of course way back then the only train on that line came in at night and only switched at the Mills in Baltic/Versailles. There were no trains going any further than that as the line was in pretty poor shape...LOL

Me and the boys ran the dogs back then daily bordering the tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by bshrdr View Post
                Perhaps, but I'm sure the choice of power was purely aesthetic in nature. Since this was a run with the big-wigs of all four railroads, the PW wanted their newest and shiniest toy in the lead. And this was it...recently acquired from BNSF (3 in all) and the latest out of the paint booth. I'm sure train handling never came into the decision making process...
                You've mentioned they recently acquired 3 engines. Do you know what they are & what model is the one we see in your photo? Nice photo BTW.
                Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
                  You've mentioned they recently acquired 3 engines. Do you know what they are & what model is the one we see in your photo? Nice photo BTW.
                  All three, including the one here, are B40-8Ws. Don't have the original numbers off the top of my head, though, but can look 'em up if you'd like... I know this one came on the property with a faded warbonnet scheme, which is why it was first into the booth. The other two have decent BNSF paint - now patched with a big "PW" on the nose & long hoods.

And thanks!
                  -Tom Nanos
                  Lebanon, CT

Comment

B40-8Ws are what I wanted to know, thanks!
                    Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

I liked the regular cab B40-8's.....they couldn't hold the rail worth crap, but the cab was way up in the air...you could actually see down in front of you.

Comment

They've got the standard cab B40s too - off the NYSW. I think it's 4 of 'em.
                        -Tom Nanos
                        Lebanon, CT

Comment

CSX got a lot of those Suzy-Q's in some kind of power swap, but they might have been traded off by now. They were put to some use first however. The single clasp brakes made them clumsy for switching though....that on top of the less than enthusiastic loading that is the hallmark of all things GE.

Comment

Cool shot, Thanks for posting it

Comment

Here it is, pre-paint booth. Ex BNSF 561.

Last edited by TinLizard; 03-30-2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X