Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What options are available on new locomotives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What options are available on new locomotives?

In my very short time with the railroad, locomotives have seen good improvements. As far as BNSF goes all new motors have push button handbrakes, high back seats and quiet cabs just to name a few.

Which got me wondering, what are all the options available on new locomotives? i heard microwaves are on CP motors. i wonder what else would be available? beds? stoves? tech upgrades? did a search on GE locomotive options and got nothing.
    "I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"
    Emiliano Zapata 8/8/1879 - 4/10/1919

Partial list (off the top of my head)...

How you want these things to be painted Mr?
    Handbrake style (power or manual) front truck or rear
    headlight placement front & rear (high or low, vertical or horizontal)
    class lights
    ditch lights (long hood end on NS)
    what kind of side mirrors /wind deflectors you want?
    windshield washers (BNSF)
    DPU (several versions / compatibilities of this software -what it will & won't link to)
    CTE - Controlled tractive effort (DPU mode UP)
    ECP - Electrically Controlled Pneumatic brakes
    locomotive weight
    Tall or short rear (long hood) sand boxes
    how many fuel fueling receptacles (& where) BNSF
    fuel tank size used to be an option
    horn
    AC vs DC traction motors
    steerable trucks (GE ?)
    hand brake no fully released / feature / alarm?
    loading software presets /defaults

cab interior:
    arrangement & type of seats
    horn button on the CO side
    conductor get a 1/2 desk or full desk
    style of speedometer on CO side & back wall (maybe)
    layout of knobs & gauges on control stand
    Railcam ??
    what kind of sunshade(s) you want?
    placement of screens
    number of computer screens (NS SD70M-2)
    CN + CP Microwaves, hot plates
    refrigerators / ice boxes
    LSL
    Your style of cab signals (if applicable)
    isolated (whisper) cab or standard
    LED cab interior lighting?
    what kind of toilet do you want?
    want a sink too?

There's probably a list at least 10 times as long, but that's what I thought up in just a few minutes.
    Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

The push button hand brake is great as long as the motor isn't completely dead. (The in cab ones with no brake wheel)

Comment

I would imagine there is no limit to what you can get, so long as you got the money and it can physically be made to fit.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

How about AC that actually works...

Comment

Originally posted by BarDaygo View Post
            How about AC that actually works...

That, and a thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradoplata View Post
              That, and a thermostat.
              "You People" have no idea of the technology that would be required to provide a thermostat on a working locomotive air conditioner. I suppose you want one quiet enough not to damage your hearing,too?

Next thing you know you're going to want an easy-to-clean toilet that actually flushes and removes the waste and odors from the locomotive cab.

Jeez! What do you think this is, the 21st Century? Are you trying to bankrupt the railroads?
              Hire more Rons, not morons.

Comment

Yeah really... poor carrier being asked to equip their own engines (that they've gotten their money's worth from over the years) with an operable AC; BooHoo; they really can't afford such luxuries.

On the serious side, I've seen some roof mounted A/C units with a thermostat, but can't say as I've seen it on any of the new EMD / GE units with "central air." How 'bout y'all?
                Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Oh yeah:
                  Carrier can also specify in software when the want the engine to auto start / stop (time elapsed.) And what kind of POS digital radio they want to thrown in there. Headset jacks on the BNSf ones too.

Comment

Originally posted by More Rons View Post
                    Jeez! What do you think this is, the 21st Century? Are you trying to bankrupt the railroads?
                    Nah, Management will do that one for ya.

Comment

Some of the UP C60's have a sort of thermostat. It just has the regular old GE Heat/AC knob, but underneath that there's a knob that can be set from warmer to cooler air temperature. Works ok. The AC on the ES44's doesn't do crap. The cab gets super warm before it starts blowing cold air again.

Comment

I've seen Magic Marker Thermostats drawn on NS AC units.

Like a lot of railroad things, they don't work, they aren't real but they sure do make me feel better about things.
                        Hire more Rons, not morons.

Comment

Given the fact the AC is provided solely to keep the computers cool, and not in any way for crew comfort....a thermostat would be an afterthought.
                          sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Working...
                          X