Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Book Store (moved from General Discussion)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Book Store (moved from General Discussion)

So what kind of books do you guys like to read (if you do read a lot like I do)

Me I like stuff that is espionage related, mostly WWII novels.
    These are my favorites

Eye of the Needle
    Hornet Flight
    The Key to Rebbecca

All three above are by Ken Follett

I also really liked Hunt for The Red October by Tom Clancy.

A great read that was not a novel was Blind Man's Bluff about submarine espionage in the Cold War.

Other books I have read (not all spy related) are:
    The entire Bourne Trilogy
    Several of Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series, it was good up until "The Twelfth Card" then it started getting a little out there for me.
    Several of James Patterson's Alex Cross series.
    Set Up Running-A great read about Steam Railroading
    October Sky-I've actually met Homer Hickam and had him sign my book.

On my to read list are:
    The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany
    The Caine Mutiny
    The Winds of War
    War and Remembrance
    Lie Down with Lions
    Thick as Valve oil, Black, White, and Tuscan Red
    That's how thick the Railroadin' in my blood is!

Ich sehne mich wieder Meister der Iron Horse werden

Nothing about this is normal!

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

1/20/17

I have read most of Clive Cussler, Hunt for Red Oktober was good, as was a couple of his Splinter Cell series.

Most anything military history. Robert Mason's Chickenhawk was good, and I am told was very close to reality.

Firebirds was a good read, as was Frank Anton's Why Didn't You Get Me Out. The two are tied together....

I have also read many books written about former US Presidents, from both sides of the aisle, good reading as well.
    Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

I like to read DIRTY BOOKS/. you know PENTHOUSE, PLAYBOY, HUSTLER, CHERRY, JUGS, BARELY LEGAL, BLACK TAIL, if it has tits and ass i will gladly browse thru it. other than that my reading is rulebooks, contracts, newspapers, lots of newspapers and contracts.
      --all postings by this poster are public information and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad-for their official position please see the particular carriers website

Comment

I have tried many times, in vain, to sit down and read a good book. Not gonna happen. I would love to be able to, but for some reason I can't. However, I did just learn the library has a decent online collection for downloading books on tape (mp3). I currently have one on my mp3 player and listening to it when I can.

Valkyrie by Philip Von Boeselager.

It is about two brothers involved in the conspiracy to kill Hitler and retake germany who live through the ordeal.

The book is SLOOOOWWW. It uses the first two thirds of the book setting up the main characters. However, it does do a great job of putting you into the mindset of many German's during this terrible time in history. Reminds people that there were two groups of Germans. those fighting for their country and those fighting for Nazism / Hitler.
        All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Not really much of a 'reeder". Although I am now reading Keith Richards autobiography. Also read Hal Blaine bio. Liked Groucho Marx,s book as well. Although that was years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by gsxr1000mxz800 View Post
            I like to read DIRTY BOOKS/. you know PENTHOUSE, PLAYBOY, HUSTLER, CHERRY, JUGS, BARELY LEGAL, BLACK TAIL, if it has tits and ass i will gladly browse thru it. other than that my reading is rulebooks, contracts, newspapers, lots of newspapers and contracts.

Just the good ones...

Don't forget Swank, High Society, 18 Only....

Comment

Non fiction mostly.....sci fi back in the day.....
              sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

I used to read a LOT, but since I retired, I just don't have the time anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
                  Non fiction mostly.....sci fi back in the day.....
                  my favorite nonction is penthouse letters. i actually subsribe to that. new issue was at the house waiting after work last night. useful tool for ideas on things to do....
                  --all postings by this poster are public information and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad-for their official position please see the particular carriers website

Comment

Originally posted by gsxr1000mxz800 View Post
                    my favorite nonction is penthouse letters. i actually subsribe to that. new issue was at the house waiting after work last night. useful tool for ideas on things to do....
                    Yeah..... I'm not convinced most of those are non-fiction or what.
                    All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

I don't read books a lot, mainly magazines. But when I do read books, it's mostly about RR history. Here's my book list for christmas:

The Men Who Loved Trains: The Story of Men Who Battled Greed to Save an Ailing Industry (Railroads Past and Present) - Rush Loving

End of the Line - Kem Parton

Working on the Railroad - Brian Solomon

The Railroad Never Sleeps: 24 Hours in the Life of Modern Railroading - Brian Solomon

The Boomer: A Story of the Rails - Harry Bedwell

Set Up Running: The Life of a Pennsylvania Railroad Engineman, 1904-1949 - John W. Orr

The Wreck of the Penn Central - Joseph R. Daughen
                      Last edited by nsrlink; 12-02-2010, 04:05 PM.
                      Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Between all the active members on YL, we have hundreds of combined years of service in several crafts. One would think we could put together one hell of a good, at least amusing, book on railroading.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
                          I don't read books a lot, mainly magazines. But when I do read books, it's mostly about RR history. Here's my book list for christmas:

The Men Who Loved Trains: The Story of Men Who Battled Greed to Save an Ailing Industry (Railroads Past and Present) - Rush Loving

End of the Line - Kem Parton

Working on the Railroad - Brian Solomon

The Railroad Never Sleeps: 24 Hours in the Life of Modern Railroading - Brian Solomon

The Boomer: A Story of the Rails - Harry Bedwell

Set Up Running: The Life of a Pennsylvania Railroad Engineman, 1904-1949 - John W. Orr

The Wreck of the Penn Central - Joseph R. Daughen
                          I've read most of those, and I am not even foamer....the stuff actually makes for pretty good drama.
                          sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Anyone that likes to read war/military books has to read We Were Soldiers Once and Young. It is one of the few books I have read that I couldnt put down. I am sure you have seen the movie. The book is waaay better.
                            Warning: Post made by MWR and BOK may cause slight discomfort or irritation!
                            Take care of yor vest and it will take care of you!
                            :usa:

Comment

Originally posted by memphis2857 View Post
                              Anyone that likes to read war/military books has to read We Were Soldiers Once and Young. It is one of the few books I have read that I couldnt put down. I am sure you have seen the movie. The book is waaay better.
                              This is really true of most. This may sound silly, but when I was in the 6th grade the first Batman movie came out. I read the book and it really WAS much better. Obviously not good enough to keep me reading books.

Comment

Working...
                              X