Computers and cell phones....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computers and cell phones....

So, last week my coveted Casio Ravine gave up. I went to Verizon and got a shiny Samsung Note S4, removable battery, thought it would be the shit, wrong. It is the shit, a handheld POS. Battery life is dismal to say the least, menus overly complicated, and god forbid if you touch that screen and let your finger move, there is no telling what it will do. I swear it is the work of the devil. I played with a friends Motorola Droid Turbo 2, seems easier to use to me, brother really likes his, so tomorrow I am returning the junk Samsung for the Turbo 2.

Computer, I do swear this windoze 10 is from the same people who delivered that Samsung Note, nothing would surprise me more. Now it won't connect to the internet. At first I thought it was a port on the router, so I switched the cable with the one to my blue ray player, BR still streams, PC still don't. HP emailed me some new drivers to install, that's their version of warranty support, my life is a living hell.
    Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Well, switch phones....and then....switch operating systems.....it would be spendy to get a macintosh, but you could can do a dual boot install of say Linux Mint, which is a wonderful operating system that just works. And by dual booting you still have access to Windoze 10...though why you'd ever go there is beyond me.
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Wubi allows you to install Ubuntu inside a Windows partition. While in windows, the linux files sit inside a folder called ubuntu. There is no partitioning or other changes to the hard drive, and the rest of the data is left alone. You pick which one you want to boot on start up. Just upgraded to 16.04 from 15.10, and it runs really snappy now. Don't forget Libreoffice and VLC player for both. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi. Also, DVD or USB drive booting is also available if you just want a PK
      Last edited by Dogbearbyter; 04-21-2016, 06:28 PM.

Comment

There's way to bury Ubuntu in Chrome OS not too dissimilar to the WUBI idea. I do really prefer putting secondary OS's in their own partition though, since my idea is to kill off the primary OS. Windows of course....which should be slaughtered where ever it may be found.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
          There's way to bury Ubuntu in Chrome OS not too dissimilar to the WUBI idea. I do really prefer putting secondary OS's in their own partition though, since my idea is to kill off the primary OS. Windows of course....which should be slaughtered where ever it may be found.
          Well, in that case, multiple hard drives, SSD's for the O/S's, and 3 to 7 slot boxes with fancy spinners and RAID schemes. But that's guilding the lily a bit for regular joes, which is why I held back. 240/270 GB SSD not a bad price now, use 2 in the main beast and an external drive for backups from the O/S's and general data storage and copying. PCIe and M2 internal connections are down to a good price.

Comment

Hmmm RAID......got one in a NAS and using it for local network storage.....need to get a newer NAS box that's TimeMachine compatible. I put an SSD in a Minimac, as a second drive. I am not committed to putting mission critical data on it, cause I don't know what the write limits are on these things. If I find they last as long as a regular spinning hard drive, I will put some in the NAS box....ought to be wicked fast.

Comment

Y'all gave me a headache.

Comment

RAID is good, always. Saved an external drive that way, it was 2 1TB drives set up to present as one in a cheap 'n cheerful mirrored setup. Lost one, still using the other. Going to check out NAS soon myself. As for my next beast, 4 of the fastest PCIe or M2 interfaces that's out there, and speedy 240-320 GB SSD's that works with this. 4 drives in 2 RAID 1 spaces. One for Windoze and one for Ubumtu Linux.

Comment

My current NAS box can do several RAID levels....I have it mirroring now, since one of the drives occasionally just stops going.....but I do like striping!

Comment

Well, HP replaced the mother board under warranty, get it back tomorrow. As far as the phone, I am stuck with it. I could return it and get into the Turbo 2, but because the Samsung was on fire sale it would cost several hundred more to go with the other phone, so I will live with this one for awhile.
                    Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

Working...
                    X