Laptop and internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop and internet

So, my Acer laptop with windoze 7 will connect just fine at home, with either the wireless or ethernet cable, but when I am away it won't connect to the internet.

The connection box shows I am connected to the hotel wireless with excellent signal strength, but when I click to open my browser it says connection problems. So I go to internet connections, it shows no internet available, yet if you map the connection it will show sent and recieved data to the network.

I am pretty sure it is some stupid setting I am missing, any ideas?
    Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Have you asked the hotel staff yet? That data packets you're seeing are probably just basic information to maintain the hardware link and isn't transferring any actual internet content. While there are other possibilities, I think the most likely situation is that you have to go to a certain website which may be the only one that will load and then enter a password to access the rest of the internet. Normally this kind of portal page loads automatically for any address you try to access (like the airport wifi paywalls), but it may not be correctly configured with this network. The receptionist probably has a pamphlet with this information if it is indeed the case.

Comment

I asked last night and they gave me a handout to try later this am, thankyou for the reply.

Comment

I used to have a similar / the same problem with my older laptops on occasion when at the hotels. They would show connected, to the wireless network, but no data / would not "get out" to the Internet.

A) I would just wait, sometimes 30 min & it would magically start working.
        B) I think I recall it's a DNS / caching error.

If you can get to a DOS box on a PC, type IPCONFIG /ALL
        This will show you what's up. Generally, I think the "Internet address" field will be 0.0.0.0.

If you type IPCONFIG it will show you all the reset / diagnostic commands.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ipconfig.mspx?mfr=true

Ipconfig
        Displays all current TCP/IP network configuration values and refreshes Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and Domain Name System (DNS) settings. Used without parameters, ipconfig displays the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway for all adapters.
        Syntax
        ipconfig [/all] [/renew [Adapter]] [/release [Adapter]] [/flushdns] [/displaydns] [/registerdns] [/showclassid Adapter] [/setclassid Adapter [ClassID]]
        Top of page
        Parameters
        /all : Displays the full TCP/IP configuration for all adapters. Without this parameter, ipconfig displays only the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway values for each adapter. Adapters can represent physical interfaces, such as installed network adapters, or logical interfaces, such as dial-up connections.
        /renew [Adapter] : Renews DHCP configuration for all adapters (if an adapter is not specified) or for a specific adapter if the Adapter parameter is included. This parameter is available only on computers with adapters that are configured to obtain an IP address automatically. To specify an adapter name, type the adapter name that appears when you use ipconfig without parameters.
        /release [Adapter] : Sends a DHCPRELEASE message to the DHCP server to release the current DHCP configuration and discard the IP address configuration for either all adapters (if an adapter is not specified) or for a specific adapter if the Adapter parameter is included. This parameter disables TCP/IP for adapters configured to obtain an IP address automatically. To specify an adapter name, type the adapter name that appears when you use ipconfig without parameters.
        /flushdns : Flushes and resets the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well as any other entries that have been added dynamically.
        /displaydns : Displays the contents of the DNS client resolver cache, which includes both entries preloaded from the local Hosts file and any recently obtained resource records for name queries resolved by the computer. The DNS Client service uses this information to resolve frequently queried names quickly, before querying its configured DNS servers.
        /registerdns : Initiates manual dynamic registration for the DNS names and IP addresses that are configured at a computer. You can use this parameter to troubleshoot a failed DNS name registration or resolve a dynamic update problem between a client and the DNS server without rebooting the client computer. The DNS settings in the advanced properties of the TCP/IP protocol determine which names are registered in DNS.
        /showclassid Adapter : Displays the DHCP class ID for a specified adapter. To see the DHCP class ID for all adapters, use the asterisk (*) wildcard character in place of Adapter. This parameter is available only on computers with adapters that are configured to obtain an IP address automatically.
        /setclassid Adapter [ClassID] : Configures the DHCP class ID for a specified adapter. To set the DHCP class ID for all adapters, use the asterisk (*) wildcard character in place of Adapter. This parameter is available only on computers with adapters that are configured to obtain an IP address automatically. If a DHCP class ID is not specified, the current class ID is removed.
        /?: Displays help at the command prompt.

It's been a while but I think I used /FLUSHDNS & then /RELEASE.

Wait one or two minutes, then use
        /REGISTERDNS & then /RENEW

If I recall, you're telling / forcing the PC (or the network card) to forget the last Internet connection it used (flush & release) & get & use new settings (register & renew). This seemed to help my PC, but still, sometimes it would take a few minutes longer than I wanted to acquire the new numbers.

Good luck, let me know if it works for you.
        Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Show off.

Comment

When a device connects to a hotel wifi or any wifi that wants you to go to a logon page it will/should say that a logon is needed and if you click that notice your browser will open. But sometimes that doesn't happen, and if you are familiar with the hotel's process, you know to manually open your browser and attempt to browse to some page. It should then re-direct to the hotel's logon page. But even then sometimes it don't. So click the refresh button on your browser. Between your browsers cache and other caches you may be traversing things can get pretty hairy.
            sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

And did you finally jump on a road job?
              sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Link, that worked. It was trying, if you will, to connect to my home wifi, works now, Thanks guys for all the replies and help!

Comment

Working...
                X