Fitbit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitbit

Just got one as a gift and thought it would be a good way to keep track of work/miles walked while working.
    Question is, anybody have experience with these at work? And if the officials will take exception to them as electronic devices?

They probably will take exception. On the other hand, if it's only link to the outside world is through your phone, which is off, then all it can do is tell time, and count steps I guess. BUT, you might have to get whomever is checking to agree that it is primarily a timepiece. If it can draw your attention to ANYTHING but the time while you are working I imagine they aren't going to like it.
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
      Just got one as a gift and thought it would be a good way to keep track of work/miles walked while working.
      Question is, anybody have experience with these at work? And if the officials will take exception to them as electronic devices?
      I would ask before I wore it. And if they say it is ok, get it in writing!

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
        They probably will take exception. On the other hand, if it's only link to the outside world is through your phone, which is off, then all it can do is tell time, and count steps I guess. BUT, you might have to get whomever is checking to agree that it is primarily a timepiece. If it can draw your attention to ANYTHING but the time while you are working I imagine they aren't going to like it.
        I kinda thought that, however, this particular fitbit is the "Flex" which is the low end one that doesn't have time or Bluetooth so all you really see are the bracelet and up to 4 small led lights when you reach your goal.

But, I think I am going to take rrbobs advice and check with the terminal GM and get it in writing.

Thanks

Comment

Interesting question & I would not have thought about that. On Black & White RR, they have a program administered through Virgin Health, where VH gives you a pedometer that counts your steps. The more steps you take, the more money you make, up to $500 a year. I see plenty of people wearing these damned things in all crafts & everyone from grunts to boss people & never heard of anyone getting in trouble for wearing one, though they are an electronic device, other than a watch.

I don't have a fitbit (only seen them in stores) nor do I have one of the pedometers, so I can't compare the two, other than one goes on your wrist, the other goes on a belt loop. I kinda think it would be BS to be able to wear a pedometer & not a fitbit, what's the real difference between the two, they are both battery powered electrical devices, then again, I'm not the one doing the rules checks. I don't know what the answer to your question is.

EDIT: Could you wear the fitbit on your ankle, covered by your pants instead of as a bracelet? Doesn't address the "is it legal" part, but maybe it hides it better?
          Last edited by nsrlink; 01-12-2015, 11:49 AM.
          Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

I don't think so... It states in the setup which wrist you are putting in on (dominant or non-dominant).
            I can see some of the more advanced fitbits being sketchy with the rules with Bluetooth capability and much more functionality right on your wrist. But the one I have needs to be linked to a smart phone or tablet to see or change any settings.

Comment

I'm just waiting for Apple's watch to come out. I'll bet that Bnsf puts out a general order the next day reminding that electronic devices are a no no.

Comment

I have the original Galaxy Gear. I have worn it at work, and it is so hobbled without it's bluetooth connection you really don't WANT to do anything but look at the time! Samsung's app market for the thing is really barren and what is there is all in Korean! I like South Korea and all, but I don't read a word of the language!
                sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

You know the Apple watch will integrate with an iPhone seamlessly. I won't get one, at least not the first generation. But it's going to happen, someone will have their iPhone stored in their grip but on and their new Iwatch will light up with a picture of mom calling and the trainmaster will say what's that?

Comment

Spoke with the GM today, he said that since there isn't any way of communicating on it he doesn't see why I couldn't wear it.

Comment

That makes sense to me. My Gear watch will take and make calls, but ONLY when it is connected to my phone. It's just a Dick Tracy trick since you'd probably really want to use the phone itself for a call.

Comment

I personally wouldn't unless, as others have said, you can get it in writing. While the electronic rules from the FRA were intended to prevent us from using cell phones and laptops, the rule is broad enough that they needed to specifically exclude a stand alone calculator, a stand alone camera, and medical devices (that are required for medical fitness for duty). They even specifically prohibited the use of GPS devices when the unions requested to be able to use them.

The argument of not being able to communicate with it doesn't hold water either. According to the fitbit website, the Flex does have Bluetooth capability, and is the only way it can communicate with a storage device. Furthermore, it doesn't look like you can turn it off so it would be constantly trying to connect with other bluetooth devices. You can't communicate with devices such as laptops, PSPs, MP3 players, IPod Touch, etc. but those are obviously not allowed.

Your only argument for "smart watch" type devices is that they have such limited functionality on their own. But those devices are essentially small computers on your wrist, regardless of them lacking a large display output or keyboard input. IMO, if you wear a "smart watch" at work you're just asking for it as it's not even in any gray area. Even if it was a simple pedometer that is "company supplied" such as nsrlink mentioned, it would still be covered under the provisions of Use of Personal Electronic Devices since it's not used for an authorized business purpose.

Considering how heavy handed the company and FRA are with electronic rule violations (rightfully so at this point), I will continue to play it safe and not use devices such as these.

Link to the relevant CFR:
                        Subpart C - Electronic Devices

A couple of links that kinda serve as a Q&A:
                        http://www.distraction.gov/download/...Final-Rule.pdf
                        http://bleupnr.org/ELECTRONICDEVICES.pdf

Comment

Yes, the statement made about not being able to communicate with it is pretty weak considering what else is banned.
                          Regarding the Bluetooth capability of the flex... Yes it is the only way to connect to a storage device, but it does need to sync with the particular device with the app running. You can search for Bluetooth devices and it'll show up but you won't be able to link to it or see what is stored unless you have the app and its running.
                          I'm going to keep it stowed until I see something in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                            he doesn't see why I couldn't wear it.
                            After he recovers from his case of amnesia, he'll claim he was having eye problems when he said this.
                            Failing to manage. Managing to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by NSane View Post
                              After he recovers from his case of amnesia, he'll claim he was having eye problems when he said this.
                              You have no idea how funny this statement actually is!

Comment

Working...
                              X