Media closet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media closet

I'm building a house and am preparing a closet to become a media closet. I've marked for 110 outlets, cable& cat 5. I'm also planning to drill holes through the top plates where Ill probably run wires in the future.

I'm stuck on a good exhaust fan for cooling it. I'll put a vent through the door at the bottom and want a fan like in a bathroom at the top. I just expect it to be quiet and have a thermostat.

Do they make those fans with a thermostat?

They do make them with thermostats built in but selection is fairly limited. Get yourself a line voltage thermostat (like WP15149 Line Voltage Thermostat - Grainger Industrial Supply) and then you can find a much better fan (IE really quiet).

Comment

Originally posted by RadioGuy View Post
      They do make them with thermostats built in but selection is fairly limited. Get yourself a line voltage thermostat (like WP15149 Line Voltage Thermostat - Grainger Industrial Supply) and then you can find a much better fan (IE really quiet).
      Thanks. How exactly does it work? Would it go in the line like a switch which I assume that it basically is?

Comment

Originally posted by BOK View Post
        Thanks. How exactly does it work? Would it go in the line like a switch which I assume that it basically is?
        That's pretty much it, it's basically just a switch. They're how we run all of our exhaust fans. Just instead of quiet ones we go for ones that can move a ton of air

Comment

I went by the house today and they took it upon themselves to run all of my cat5 and cable line to the closet I mentioned. At first I didn't like it because in using it as a normal closet for a while, but then it hit me that everything now had a direct line to it. The only thing lacking is HDMI cables.

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with IR repeaters for controlling hidden equipment?

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with IR repeaters for controlling hidden equipment?
              Lotsa... I did home theater in a previous life.

Out the gate though, my suggestion is to upgrade to RF remotes. Much more flexible. If you stick with IR remotes, all the equipment I used to install was Xantech. Damn near bulletproof.

Comment

I do have a few questions before I attempt anything.....

1. Does the single IR sensor relay all of my remotes or do I need to invest in a single universal? I know it's best, but is it a must?

2. Do they have wired sensors or do most all of them just relay my signal in RF? For some reason I'd kinda like to try the wired.

3. If it's wireless will the signals cross? If I change channels on my cable box in my room will I change everyone in the houses channel who is also using a repeater? I guess I'm asking if they come in a range of frequencies.

Kinda related question......

How would you suggest running HDMI to all rooms from this one closet?

Comment

Check out some of the Logitech universal remotes. They have IR / RF & are a good bang for the buck. My step dad has one for the man cave & one for the other home theatre set up.
                  Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
                    Check out some of the Logitech universal remotes. They have IR / RF & are a good bang for the buck. My step dad has one for the man cave & one for the other home theatre set up.
                    That brings up another series of questions. Why would I go to an RF remote? I know RF can go through walls, but how do my IR electronics receive the input? Same as the IR repeater without the need for a local sensor? Which again brings up the signal crossing question.

Comment

I do have a few questions before I attempt anything.....

1. Does the single IR sensor relay all of my remotes or do I need to invest in a single universal? I know it's best, but is it a must?
                      They'll accept signal from any IR source, including a smart phone.

2. Do they have wired sensors or do most all of them just relay my signal in RF? For some reason I'd kinda like to try the wired.
                      The most reliable IR repeaters/extenders are wired. A remote receiver wired to a control box which then has the emitters wired to it for each of your devices, like cable box and DVD player.

3. If it's wireless will the signals cross? If I change channels on my cable box in my room will I change everyone in the houses channel who is also using a repeater? I guess I'm asking if they come in a range of frequencies.
                      That depends on the IR system and how you're running your cable/sat boxes. For most people, the gear is in the same room as the TV and they're using single zone IR repeaters to pull the IR signal into a cabinet in that room. In that setup, you'll only change what that single IR system can see.

If you try to use a one zone IR repeater with multiple IR receivers and you put emitters from it on to two physically seperate cable boxes but of the same make, then yes, both boxes will respond to commands from either input.

If you're planning on putting all the cable/sat boxes in the closet I'd suggest getting a multi-zone IR repeater which keeps each IR receiver tied to specific IR emitters. I will warn you, most of those IR repeaters are really strong. You'll need to cover the emitters with electrical tape if two boxes of the same make will be nearby in the closet.

Kinda related question......

How would you suggest running HDMI to all rooms from this one closet?
                      Depends on the footage. Less than 50' I'd just run a long HDMI cable, places like Monoprice sell them. Most of them won't be certified but they'll run 1080p. The next choice for me is the HDMI over coax extenders. They always worked much more reliably than the HDMI over CAT5/6 baluns.

Comment

Thanks. I just looked at HDMI on mono price and damn HDMI has become affordable. 25' high speed 22 awg is like $30. Nice.

Comment

Thanks. I just looked at HDMI on mono price and damn HDMI has become affordable. 25' high speed 22 awg is like $30. Nice.
                          Yeah, they're insanely cheap now. You don't need all that insulation that Monster Cable tries to sell you :P :P

Comment

I'm building a house and am preparing a closet to become a media closet. I've marked for 110 outlets, cable& cat 5. I'm also planning to drill holes through the top plates where Ill probably run wires in the future.
                            I went by the house today and they took it upon themselves to run all of my cat5 and cable line to the closet I mentioned. At first I didn't like it because in using it as a normal closet for a while, but then it hit me that everything now had a direct line to it. The only thing lacking is HDMI cables.
                            Does this mean that you are (finally) coming out of the closet?

Comment

Working...
                            X