My favorite laptop passed away today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite laptop passed away today

I was in the middle of an always brilliant retort on a Facebook news feed and the damn thing just freezes. I give it a second and nothing. Wouldn't respond to anything. I forced it to turn off and that was pretty much the end of her.

Won't even bring up BIOS. Power button lights up but it just lays there lifeless. Acts like a computer with bad ram. I tried swapping that with no help as well.

Tomorrow I go in and try to at least access my hard drive. I had a shit ton of stuff I had been working on but never thought it to be important enough to back up. I kinda want it back now.

No I don't keep traditional back ups. I know I know... I should have already learned that lesson. If I think something is important like family pics or music I keep redundant copies on a separate hard drive. I just wish I had copied all the ones I'm talking about.

Crap
    All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Stick it in the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by TinLizard View Post
      Stick it in the oven.
      for fun?
      All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

re we having a funeral/ I am thinking your son could use it for target practice. You two could do it together, help develope some masculine tendencies...
        Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
          for fun?
          No, for reals. Google it; reflow. Only as a last resort of course.

Comment

Originally posted by jetboater View Post
            re we having a funeral/ I am thinking your son could use it for target practice. You two could do it together, help develope some masculine tendencies...
            Funny. Real funny.
            Originally posted by TinLizard View Post
            No, for reals. Google it; reflow. Only as a last resort of course.
            I'll have to look that up. I've heard about putting a bad hard drive in the freezer to I guess shrink the metal and freeing the disks so you can gain temporary access if damaged.
            Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh
            Well, you can read the hard drive by sticking it in another computer. Problem is, it is marked as a boot drive, and it may confuse the computer you put it in. The solution is go into the BIOS of that computer and remove your drive from the list of boot choices. Or at least move down it so that it's last in the list of possibilities. This way the computer will try to boot first from it's own drive. (You should use a desktop computer, since they often have extra drive bays, and cable in there to hook them up.) Then when running, you will be able to browse your drive and slurp wanted material off of it, just as the same as you browse a floppy (anybody remember those?) or a CD that you stick in. New laptops are available at screaming good prices. If you must stay with windows try to get one with Win 7, and they are still out there. Win 8 is beyond weird so it seems.
            oh I know. All my laptops, except this one, are getting way up in age and it's time to invest in a few more. Really the only issues with others is battery discharge time and it gets too hot to do anything that requires it to work too hard. And the other has a bad charging pin. Too much trouble dismantling the it completely when the thing is close to an antique.

Right now I'm stuck with the wife's netbook which I have hooked up stationary to a monitor and keyboard. I HATE that tiny thing. My Acer was as big as a freakin table and I loved it.

Anywho.... I will most likely dismantle the external hard drive and use it's connections to hook this one up to another via USB and do some digging.

Comment

Get you a usb drive dock. They are super handy in cases like this.

Coolmax® Drive Dock 3-in-1 Adapter With USB3.0, Black, (15433) | Staples

Comment

Well it worked. The hard drive works fine and I'm able to access it with ease.

Comment

I must add that it took a couple hours to change the permissions on all my files to allow my wife's netbook access. That doesn't even make sense. If I am able to grant the access remotely, why doesn't it just assume the permission without having to run through each and every damn file?

Comment

I must add that it took a couple hours to change the permissions on all my files to allow my wife's netbook access. That doesn't even make sense. If I am able to grant the access remotely, why doesn't it just assume the permission without having to run through each and every damn file?
                    c:\> attrib -r -h -s
                    Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
                      c:\> attrib -r -h -s
                      Yes, I guess that might have been quicker if that is what it looks like. Changing the attributes of read/hidden and shared files??

Comment

BLAH! I got it the easy "Click here for dummies" way. LOL

Comment

Ever used XTree? It started from command line on my computer. And yes I found a few short cuts using comand line and that was an accomplishment considering your alternative of hunting down the right executable file.

Comment

Ever used XTree? It started from command line on my computer. And yes I found a few short cuts using comand line and that was an accomplishment considering your alternative of hunting down the right executable file.
                            XtreePro/Gold was the shit for file management. If you are a Unix guy, UnixTree is pretty close.

Comment

Yes, I guess that might have been quicker if that is what it looks like. Changing the attributes of read/hidden and shared files??
                              Exactly!!

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh
                              You have to specify which files too, when using that command, or just use wildcards. Like *.*.
                              While true, & I did leave *.* out of my post, I'd like to think if I were typing that I would have remembered that, just because that command is hard coded in my memory. That or I'd have figured out I needed that when the command didn't do anything!
                              Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X