Wifi killing modem??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifi killing modem??

Is it possible that a wifi router can cause your modem to drop out? I have had a nightmare with my modem dropping constantly and this last week I have had nearly zero Internet connection. The last people here kept questioning me about my wifi and if it was dropping too. Nope, I stay connected to that butmy modem is regularly dropping out.

Long story short I have been hard wired for several hours now with absolutely no issues.

Coincidence?
    All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh
    Not that I've heard, but if you have Linksys equipment of any kind, well....I wouldn't wish their stuff on my worst enemy. I wouldn't rule out some sort of problem in your wifi router causing the modem to switch off to protect itself, but I can't imagine what's going on. Perhaps as a test you could borrow someone's wifi router. Also, what the heck? Do a hard reset on the wifi router. There should be a tiny little hole somewhere into which you can stick a pin, and of course you'll have to redo your passwords and all that, for resetting makes it just like when you took it out of the box.
    Netgear and if memory serves me correct I bought it about the time the internet started acting stupid. I may be wrong about that though. I still have my old one and will hook everything back up through it tomorrow if tonights tests keep going well.

I am wondering if I am not DDOSing myself in a sense....... I will see after I hook up the old router. I am thinking the problem really is on their end and I have such a weak signal that it cannot handle when other devices connect? I have tried to just have this laptop on and it still does it, but who knows. I'm grasping at straws here.

I'll have to look into the modem and see. I really don't like the flashy controls that Netgear came with, but still little control of your connection. Why don't they give you a simple ONE CLICK option to kick people off your wifi?
    All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Password protect your wifi.
      Done since day 1 and I don't broadcast my SSID
      And if you determine a specific mac address is unwelcome you can indeed block it.
      I know. It bothers me that some devices it will only show what IP it is connected to and I have to dig for a MAC address. It should have a one click kill option.
      As for flashy things. As long as they flash relatively the same all the time, things should be as they have ever been. See new colors or new patterns, or everything goes out, well now you look for a problem!
      Of course. I am refering to the huge program that comes with the Netgear router that is all flashy with little controls once you really look into it.
      I am wondering rather strongly if you don't have a bad network cable socket. But as I am awake 27 hours now, I may be.....well.....any ideas anyone?
      I have had a few drop outs surfing around on the net in the past few minutes so I think my theory was correct. I am overloading a weak connection. Hardwired it just comes back a HELL of a lot quicker and the modem does not go retarded.

Comment

I assume you have a connection like...

outside world internet | modem | router | devices

Check your router's settings for a "keep alive" [connection] or "time out after" or "connection lease. Perhaps some setting got messed up & the router is dropping your connection(s) after a period of inactivity. You may notice ethernet comes back quicker, but that's due to the hard wire & it acquires an IP address from the router faster than WiFi. I had this sort of thing happen to me back in the DSL days. Router got rebooted & "forgot' it was suppose to keep the connection (lease /IP address) cause the keep alive was set really low. Good luck.
        Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
          I assume you have a connection like...

outside world internet | modem | router | devices

Check your router's settings for a "keep alive" [connection] or "time out after" or "connection lease. Perhaps some setting got messed up & the router is dropping your connection(s) after a period of inactivity. You may notice ethernet comes back quicker, but that's due to the hard wire & it acquires an IP address from the router faster than WiFi. I had this sort of thing happen to me back in the DSL days. Router got rebooted & "forgot' it was suppose to keep the connection (lease /IP address) cause the keep alive was set really low. Good luck.
          Yeah, I checked all that. When it drops out the modem itself is dropping and all its lights are going out mostly and it is constantly looking for a connection.

I am about ready to hardwire everything I can in the house through a switch in the attic and only have wifi for what must have it.
          Last edited by BadOrderKing; 07-31-2013, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
            Yeah, I checked all that. When it drops out the modem itself is dropping and all its lights are going out mostly and it is constantly looking for a connection.

I am about ready to hardwire everything I can in the house through a switch in the attic and only have wifi for what must have it.
            Gigabit switches & network controllers are pretty cheap & well worth it if you don't mind the wires. My desktops are gigabit hard wired & the file transfers between machines are blazing fast.

Time to give AT&T U-verse another shot BOK??
            Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

You haven't told us what you're working with yet.

Comment

Well it's shit again! My modem is going stupid looking for a connection. Wasn't the wifi doing it.

On a side note I was able to access the admin controls on my modem and it really doesn't have a log. My last modem has a log that I could see when it was dropping out.

Comment

Have cable come out and bring you a new modem.
                  Well I'll be damned. I was on the phone demanding they bring back my old modem and take this piece of shit out and the guy told me that I was the only one in the area with no connection....... what the?

Long story short, they may have actually fixed the issue but did not connect the cable very well when they installed the new modem which would explain why it was 10X worse after they left. I reseated it and all is working great again for the first time since early this morning.

We will see...........

Comment

Ah Ha! Seek and ye shall find.
                    Not so fast..... It dropped again. I did the same thing. Remove coax from modem , reconnect and Internet comes back.

????? Bad cable maybe?

Comment

Well, they do go bad, and cheap enough to replace.
                      Hell I don't know. I walked around the house and found a few with corrosion on them at the connections even though they are pretty new. I also believe I have too many splitters but they say the levels are good.

I'm calling them to come back out and take an honest look at the wiring. I have had no less than 20 techs out and they all claim the house is good but there is obviously line trouble however the guy on the phone today tells me that I'm the only one in my area not connected????? I am assuming he pinged everyone's routers.

Anyone still use the phone company? Are there speeds bearable?

Comment

Apple just released new airport/time capsules with wireless ac band. As is normal with Apple products they are pricey. But I can say I don't ever have any problems with my 4 year old AirPort Extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by lear View Post
                          Apple just released new airport/time capsules with wireless ac band. As is normal with Apple products they are pricey. But I can say I don't ever have any problems with my 4 year old AirPort Extreme.
                          Thats a wifi device right? I can't keep the internet going to the one I have. While I don't subscribe to the iMac craze, in fact i think it is insane to buy one, I do strongly admire other Apple products like the iPhone and such. Price keeps me from touching anything else though.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
                            Hell I don't know. I walked around the house and found a few with corrosion on them at the connections even though they are pretty new. I also believe I have too many splitters but they say the levels are good.

I'm calling them to come back out and take an honest look at the wiring. I have had no less than 20 techs out and they all claim the house is good but there is obviously line trouble however the guy on the phone today tells me that I'm the only one in my area not connected????? I am assuming he pinged everyone's routers.

Anyone still use the phone company? Are there speeds bearable?
                            I had problems with my modem after a storm knocked out service. Turned out the modem was fine but a circuit at the junction box for my subdivision had a short and was causing an echo on the line. The echo made it look like my modem was sending feedback into the system. The diagnostic card in the junction box would periodically shut off my connection in attempt to cut the echo. After swapping out modems, cables, and a lot of service calls the company finally traced it back to their junction box.
                            I didn't do it, was nowhere near it, and you can't prove a thing.

Comment

Sorry BOK I didn't read your first post clearly enough. Thought you were having wifi problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X