Tracking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking

i'm curious how tracking works when you are using different wi-fi systems. For example, if i am at a Holiday Inn in Kalamazoo, and access the net using their wi-fi, and then travel to Coon Rapids and use the wi-fi at the Super 8, is my IP address going to be the same, provided i use the same tablet each time? Or will it change, since i am using a different provider?
    Je ne suis pas Charlie; Je suis armé!

Different gateway, different IP.
    All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
      Different gateway, different IP.
      Same cookie
      ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

Originally posted by TheAbrasiveOne View Post
        Same cookie
        Well yeah....... More people should explore ways to avoid being tracked. Not in the criminal sense that most people think of when you bring up that kind of stuff, but for your own safety and freedom.
        All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Well yeah....... More people should explore ways to avoid being tracked. Not in the criminal sense that most people think of when you bring up that kind of stuff, but for your own safety and freedom.
          Most browsers have some sort of a private browsing mode.

Also, you can use proxy servers, VPN, TOR, etc...
          ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

Good Info for a start at fighting back.

No warranty from me, so proceed at your own risk.

DoNotTrackMe - Protects Your Privacy By Blocking Online Tracking

http://news.yahoo.com/video/block-we...040014226.html

How to Stop Facebook from Tracking You - Yahoo! Finance

This is a good privacy oriented search engine that I use. Note the https ... That means a secure encrypted link....

https://duckduckgo.com/

and lastly, the motherload.....

http://prism-break.org/

Brasspounder.
            Last edited by brasspounder; 06-24-2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Same cookie

Same MAC address. How many didn't know what a MAC address is?

MAC Addressing - Introduction to the MAC Address

Brasspounder..

Comment

Originally posted by brasspounder View Post
                Good Info for a start at fighting back.

No warranty from me, so proceed at your own risk.

DoNotTrackMe - Protects Your Privacy By Blocking Online Tracking

http://news.yahoo.com/video/block-we...040014226.html

How to Stop Facebook from Tracking You - Yahoo! Finance

This is a good privacy oriented search engine that I use. Note the https ... That means a secure encrypted link....

https://duckduckgo.com/

Brasspounder.

One thing I noticed... Do Not Track Me percieves Google Analytics as "tracking software".

I use Google Analytics

Google Analytics is generally used for generating statistics on your visitors. We use it in conjunction with our online shopping cart to see what products more people are interested in.
                ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

Brasspounder..
                  Meh....

MAC Address isn't passed through HTTP data. It is almost exclusively used to identify a certain machine on a network. For example, Most DHCP networks assign an IP address to a certain MAC address behind a modem, instead of to the modem itself.

Granted MAC Spoofing is easy to do, it is somewhat pointless unless you don't want the hotel to know your tendencies, which I don't think I have ever found a hotel that does track your online behavior. Either way, good reason to use VPN.
                  ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

Brasspounder..
                    MAC address isn't passed on in Internet Protocol, it's more of a subnet thing (ethernet protocol) that won't get any farther than your router.
                    Last edited by TinLizard; 06-24-2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TinLizard View Post
                      MAC address isn't passed on in Internet Protocol, it's more of a subnet thing (ethernet protocol) that won't get any farther than your router.

Depends on who is looking... ;-)

Brasspounder...

Comment

Originally posted by Black Rifle View Post
                        i'm curious how tracking works when you are using different wi-fi systems. For example, if i am at a Holiday Inn in Kalamazoo, and access the net using their wi-fi, and then travel to Coon Rapids and use the wi-fi at the Super 8, is my IP address going to be the same, provided i use the same tablet each time? Or will it change, since i am using a different provider?
                        You'll get a different IP at every hotel you're at. Each hotel location sources their internet through whomever they want locally. They typically buy a routers from one of the several hospitality IT companies that offer turnkey/personalized access gateways and the associated home page. It's not unusual for you to get a different internal IP address each time you associate with the hotels internet as most keep the DHCP lease times low based on the transient nature of their clients.

Now, your publicly visible IP address will be almost always be the same each time you are at the same hotel as they will typically have a single IP public address being NAT'ed to all the internal customers. Each hotel you stay at would be a different external IP.

As for tracking on the websites, it's much like TAO said, the cookie. Unless you use one of the private browsing modes, or clear your cookies each time you browse, you'll be tracked.

Comment

Most browsers have some sort of a private browsing mode.

Also, you can use proxy servers, VPN, TOR, etc...
                          I use TOR from time to time depending on what I'm doing. I also use an adon that helps block third party shit from tracking you when you visit a site. For example I went to the UTU website a while back and it showed over 50 trackers. I think the site was compromised since it didn't pull up worth a damn.

Also worth noting that your free proxy sites and TOR nodes usually are flagged as spam IPs and are blocked from some sites. A few "Anons" are even having trouble with it on Facebook some times.
                          Last edited by BadOrderKing; 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I use TOR from time to time depending on what I'm doing. I also use an adon that helps block third party shit from tracking you when you visit a site. For example I went to the UTU website a while back and it showed over 50 trackers. I think the site was compromised since it didn't pull up worth a damn.

Also worth noting that your free proxy sites and TOR nodes usually are flagged as spam IPs and are blocked from some sites. A few "Anons" are even having trouble with it on Facebook some times.
                            The free proxy sites are riddled with nasty shit.
                            The easiest proxy server to use is to tether to your cell phone. You'll have the same public IP address as tens of thousands of other people. Your cell phone is buried under several layers of NAT.
                            ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

The free proxy sites are riddled with nasty shit.
                              The easiest proxy server to use is to tether to your cell phone. You'll have the same public IP address as tens of thousands of other people. Your cell phone is buried under several layers of NAT.
                              I like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X