X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFB
    started a topic Nest Thermostat

Nest Thermostat

Anyone have one of these in their home or know of anyone that does? I am curious of personal experiences versus what I read thru review boards.

• Razor
    replied
    Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
    OK, all you Nest Thermostat users, how about an update??
    Do you like it? Does the "learning" part of it learn anything with our crazy RR schedules? How long did it take to "learn" if it did learn anything? Are you saving money in a noticeable amount? What sucks about it?

I don't think I'll buy these things, but I was considering Honeywell some WiFi connected thermostats you can control via an app or the web that are only around $40. One thing I read about those was they were "too sensitive" in that they tended to cycle your system on & off if the temp varied by ONE degree from the setting & that, to me, seems like a lot of cycling for any system. I'll ask how the Nest handles such (or is it programmable by the user?) On that note, can anyone recommend any WiFi T-stat you have that doesn't cycle so frequently or is user programmable (temperature variant.)
    The one degree cycling will keep you at a more uniform temperature, which will save you money in the long run. With a wider temperature swing it's more tempting to keep messing with the thermostat yourself.

Leave a comment:

• TFB
    replied
    Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
    Do you like it? Does the "learning" part of it learn anything with our crazy RR schedules? How long did it take to "learn" if it did learn anything? Are you saving money in a noticeable amount? What sucks about it?

I don't think I'll buy these things, but I was considering Honeywell some WiFi connected thermostats you can control via an app or the web that are only around $40. One thing I read about those was they were "too sensitive" in that they tended to cycle your system on & off if the temp varied by ONE degree from the setting & that, to me, seems like a lot of cycling for any system. I'll ask how the Nest handles such (or is it programmable by the user?) On that note, can anyone recommend any WiFi T-stat you have that doesn't cycle so frequently or is user programmable (temperature variant.)
    I have been pleased with mine so far as I have them on all three floors of my home. They do most of their 'learning' in the first 3 weeks of use. After that, you kind of modify the schedule to what may be more fine tuning.

It has definitely helped me to save money primarily due to two reasons. One, the auto away feature and two, you naturally pay more attention to where your thermostat is. I check it frequently away from home and sometimes adjust based on my arrival home.

All in all it is a well thought out device. The only two issues I have written to Nest requesting future updates too, as they do modify the software based on customer input, is a temperature hold feature and to make the learning process a continually ongoing thing. It does not really seem to learn much after about a month even when you do new manual adjustments more often. WE shall see.

Leave a comment:

• nsrlink
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TFB
    replied
    Finally picked the blasted Nest thermostat up a week ago. Only took about 20 minutes to install and about the same amount of time to do the initial setup. It is still in its learning phase, but it is already become handy as I can turn it down from bedside even more if need be. Just have to get 2 more now for the other zones and see where it goes from there.

Leave a comment:

• bamaNS
    replied
    If you know about what time you will leave and be home they are worth the money....have 2 and they ran about $50 each and have paid for themselves.....if you are pretty handy they are not hard to put in.....most come with directions and put in very simple terms to follow......and mine also have a setting for the weekend if you are so lucky to be there when normal people are......

Leave a comment:

• jonnyseeandoh
    replied
    My new (to me) house has a whizzbang Honeywell tstat. So far with fierce wind, dire cold, and a snowstorm, the temp has hardly budged from 72. Well OK that's really the furnace doing that part. But I can get a phone app for it, and I can set it to go from heat pump to oil by using the outside temperature. Works a treat!

Leave a comment:

• nsrlink
    replied
    Originally posted by dpi View Post
    Being a single guy on a through freight turn, I am constantly changing the setting on my thermostat when home and when leaving on a trip. Many a time I've forgotten to change the temperature setting before leaving home. I hate the feeling that I'm either heating or cooling my house and no one is there to enjoy it but the goldfish. I've been checking into a wifi/iPhone compatible thermostat called a Nest to install. Supposedly using the App on your iPhone and the wifi in your house you can change the setting from anywhere. Anyone have any experience with this product or know of any other similar device. This one is fairly cheap $200 with up to $50 energy rebate from the electric company. I'm leaning really hard into buying one.

Thanks.
    DPI,
    I moved your post / thread in to this existing discussion in the Tech Forum. Read through some of the posts above; hopefully those will be of some help to ya.

Leave a comment:

• AHotPigTrain
    replied
    My brother owns his house and has one of his high school buddies as a room mate.
    the buddy is a big fucker, and is always hot. 30 degrees outside and he's walking around in shorts ans a t-shirt. My brother came home from work on day and the t-stat was set on 65 degrees in the middle of july. He went that day and bought a programmable t-stat like what your talking about, His has a password protection on actual t-stat itself. Just like what you said he can control it with his Iphone, and it seems to work pretty good for him. and seems like its easy to use.

Leave a comment:

• dpi
    replied
    Programable thermostat

Being a single guy on a through freight turn, I am constantly changing the setting on my thermostat when home and when leaving on a trip. Many a time I've forgotten to change the temperature setting before leaving home. I hate the feeling that I'm either heating or cooling my house and no one is there to enjoy it but the goldfish. I've been checking into a wifi/iPhone compatible thermostat called a Nest to install. Supposedly using the App on your iPhone and the wifi in your house you can change the setting from anywhere. Anyone have any experience with this product or know of any other similar device. This one is fairly cheap $200 with up to $50 energy rebate from the electric company. I'm leaning really hard into buying one.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• TinLizard
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    So I seen one of these Nest thermostats in Best Buy for $250. Will you recoup $250 in savings in a years time? I have thought about trying out an outlet monitor that measures use. So that you can see what appliances are sucking the most juice in your home.
    They have Gen 2s out now. Look for sales on the Gen 1, it's currently $198 at Lowes.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Honcho
    replied
    Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
    I think they are mainly to teach you what sucks the juice...sure the fridge, electric range, and what not. But those wall warts are sucking up a little even when no device is connected. It's the electromagnetic nature of transformer. If the input can't be passed to a device the juice just evaporates in the form of heat.
    Yes we all know about the necessities. It all amounts to something.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Honcho
    replied
    Originally posted by TheAbrasiveOne View Post

How will an outlet monitor save you any money? You will always save money by limiting usage, and unplugging things when not in use.

Its pretty much common sense what is sucking the most juice, especially if you have a smart meter where you can look at the hour by hour usage in your house.
    Don't have a smart meter. You'd probably be surprised what drains the most. I'm like Hitler with the electricity around here but I'd be interested in knowing the stats. I'm a gadget addict.

Leave a comment:

• TheAbrasiveOne
    replied
    Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
    I think they are mainly to teach you what sucks the juice...sure the fridge, electric range, and what not. But those wall warts are sucking up a little even when no device is connected. It's the electromagnetic nature of transformer. If the input can't be passed to a device the juice just evaporates in the form of heat.
    Hell... The wall adapters are easy enough to figure out with a little math.

I don't need a little meter to tell me. I'm just glad that its almost time to get rid of these damn christmas lights.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyseeandoh
    replied
    Last edited by jonnyseeandoh; 12-27-2012, 05:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X