Nest Thermostat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheAbrasiveOne View Post
    One power company down here gives one to you for signing a 2 year deal...

I've contemplated it
    In other words you commit to purchasing your power from that utility? One thing I will not do is put in one of these so called 'smart' thermostats that gives the utility control of my heating and cooling at certain times for discounts. Thanks, but no I will do that myself.
    sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
    ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

Comment

Originally posted by TFB View Post
      In other words you commit to purchasing your power from that utility? One thing I will not do is put in one of these so called 'smart' thermostats that gives the utility control of my heating and cooling at certain times for discounts. Thanks, but no I will do that myself.
      Thars right, but I think you misunderstand the other thing you're talking about.
      ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

I don't know why you have to sign a two tear deal....like there is any other place to get electricity from without moving? I've heard some places do allow competition, but haven't figured out how that works when the original supplier owns the poles, lines and power plant and is still pumping it out to you.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
          I don't know why you have to sign a two tear deal....like there is any other place to get electricity from without moving? I've heard some places do allow competition, but haven't figured out how that works when the original supplier owns the poles, lines and power plant and is still pumping it out to you.
          I sign the two year deal, and I get a Nest thermostat for free...

I'm not sure how it works, but one company owns the poles and lines, then you pay a different company for the electricity... and yes, there is dozens of companies to choose from
          ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

Weird man.
            sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

There are even some companies with out their own generating station. But anyways the gist of how it all works is there is the power grid that everyone pumps into and then pulls from. So then if you sell more then you produce you buy from the grid, if you produce more then you sell, you sell the extra to the grid. I.e. your company a produces 3 GWh in a month but collectively all of company a's customers use 4 GWh then company a buys 1 GWh from the grid, mean while company b is producing 7 GWh but b's customers are only using 5 GWh so b sells 2 GWh to the grid
              Thick as Valve oil, Black, White, and Tuscan Red
              That's how thick the Railroadin' in my blood is!

Ich sehne mich wieder Meister der Iron Horse werden

Nothing about this is normal!

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

1/20/17

Comment

Weird man.
                Power to Choose: About Electric Choice
                ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

I dunno....the wires in my house go out to a pole, and hooks to wires going to a transformer and those wires go to a trunk and the trunk to a substation, and the substation to the generating plant. I just can't figure where an alternate provider can get involved. Yes I know what T51 said, but it's a sham. There's one source of power, the local end of the grid, and one drop to my house. The idea that anybody but the producer of power can sell me electricity is an illusion, a total illusion. Now if one of those guys can give me a rate cheaper than the producer, of course I'll pay him for it. But I'm not fooled....it's still the producer's power. And they could give me that rate or even cheaper without that middleman....so why don't they? If a third party wants to sell me some juice, I want his wires coming from his transformer, but he doesn't have any of that, so see, it's just a friggin illusion.
                  Last edited by jonnyseeandoh; 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I dunno....the wires in my house go out to a pole, and hooks to wires going to a transformer and those wires go to a trunk and the trunk to a substation, and the substation to the generating plant. I just can't figure where an alternate provider can get involved. Yes I know what T51 said, but it's a sham. There's one source of power, the local end of the grid, and one drop to my house. The idea that anybody but the producer of power can sell me electricity is an illusion, a total illusion. Now if one of those guys can give me a rate cheaper than the producer, of course I'll pay him for it. But I'm not fooled....it's still the producer's power. And they could give me that rate or even cheaper without that middleman....so why don't they? If a third party wants to sell me some juice, I want his wires coming from his transformer, but he doesn't have any of that, so see, it's just a friggin illusion.
                    I liken this to way back when AT&T laid all the copper phone lines. They "built" the infrastructure & that was it until their ordered breakup. Now, somehow, though AT&T may be your local (bell phone) carrier, you can get Acme internet service over wires installed by AT&T.
                    Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
                      I liken this to way back when AT&T laid all the copper phone lines. They "built" the infrastructure & that was it until their ordered breakup. Now, somehow, though AT&T may be your local (bell phone) carrier, you can get Acme internet service over wires installed by AT&T.
                      I'm hip on that farce too.....I for my part was dead against the break up of Ma Bell. I'm as pro competition as any red blooded American, but public necessities should be exempt from anti-monopoly policy. Yes, they should be quite regulated so they don't get greedy of course. And yes I know that telephony would not have advanced much had the real AT&T stayed a monopoly. Actually it wasn't a total monopoly, GTE had some lines.

Comment

So I seen one of these Nest thermostats in Best Buy for $250. Will you recoup $250 in savings in a years time? I have thought about trying out an outlet monitor that measures use. So that you can see what appliances are sucking the most juice in your home.
                        There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Honcho View Post
                          So I seen one of these Nest thermostats in Best Buy for $250. Will you recoup $250 in savings in a years time? I have thought about trying out an outlet monitor that measures use. So that you can see what appliances are sucking the most juice in your home.
                          How will an outlet monitor save you any money? You will always save money by limiting usage, and unplugging things when not in use.

Its pretty much common sense what is sucking the most juice, especially if you have a smart meter where you can look at the hour by hour usage in your house.
                          ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

I think they are mainly to teach you what sucks the juice...sure the fridge, electric range, and what not. But those wall warts are sucking up a little even when no device is connected. It's the electromagnetic nature of transformer. If the input can't be passed to a device the juice just evaporates in the form of heat.
                            Last edited by jonnyseeandoh; 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I think they are mainly to teach you what sucks the juice...sure the fridge, electric range, and what not. But those wall warts are sucking up a little even when no device is connected. It's the electromagnetic nature of transformer. If the input can't be passed to a device the juice just evaporates in the form of heat.
                              Hell... The wall adapters are easy enough to figure out with a little math.

I don't need a little meter to tell me. I'm just glad that its almost time to get rid of these damn christmas lights.
                              ][ ][ ][ %

Comment

Originally posted by TheAbrasiveOne View Post

How will an outlet monitor save you any money? You will always save money by limiting usage, and unplugging things when not in use.

Its pretty much common sense what is sucking the most juice, especially if you have a smart meter where you can look at the hour by hour usage in your house.
                                Don't have a smart meter. You'd probably be surprised what drains the most. I'm like Hitler with the electricity around here but I'd be interested in knowing the stats. I'm a gadget addict.
                                There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.

Comment

Working...
                                X