Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nest Thermostat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nest Thermostat

    Anyone have one of these in their home or know of anyone that does? I am curious of personal experiences versus what I read thru review boards.
    sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
    ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

  • #2
    A low watt bulb always worked for me. You don't want to cook the critters so placement has to be kept in mind.....oh! not birds nest......well, just a regular programmable thermostat has always been good for me. I don't like setting away temperatures, since when I will be back is a matter of gross uncertainty, so day and night routines are all I need. The ability to control it from afar? Well, that seems like technology for technology's sake.
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

    Comment


    • #3
      What I like about what I have read is that it learns your routines and adjusts for them automatically. No need for programming which is what I like.
      sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
      ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, a significant other, and a teenaged girl mean there is no routine here. That thermostat would be hopelessly confused.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
          A low watt bulb always worked for me. You don't want to cook the critters so placement has to be kept in mind.....oh! not birds nest......well, just a regular programmable thermostat has always been good for me. I don't like setting away temperatures, since when I will be back is a matter of gross uncertainty, so day and night routines are all I need. The ability to control it from afar? Well, that seems like technology for technology's sake.
          Maybe not. Think about your uncertain schedule and it is 2 degrees. You have your air set just above pipe freeze. You dial that sucker up a few hours before you get home and you walk into a warm house that has not been keeping itself warms and empty for days.

          EDIT: In our case, think of it being 110 outside.
          All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
            Maybe not. Think about your uncertain schedule and it is 2 degrees. You have your air set just above pipe freeze. You dial that sucker up a few hours before you get home and you walk into a warm house that has not been keeping itself warms and empty for days.

            EDIT: In our case, think of it being 110 outside.
            I think he was too busy pontificating to see the possible benefits of said technology.
            BUT, as hot as it gets down your way, I doubt it'd ever get comfortable in the house till after dark maybe. The damned air conditioners run practically 24/7 in the humid summer it seems.

            TFB, if it can learn my routine with the sh!t train lineups & random-ass hours, I'd maybe be interested. Then again, if a thermostat can figure out that stuff, they need to take the brains outta that thing & put that stuff to work in the chief's office.
            Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
              I think he was too busy pontificating to see the possible benefits of said technology.
              BUT, as hot as it gets down your way, I doubt it'd ever get comfortable in the house till after dark maybe. The damned air conditioners run practically 24/7 in the humid summer it seems.

              TFB, if it can learn my routine with the sh!t train lineups & random-ass hours, I'd maybe be interested. Then again, if a thermostat can figure out that stuff, they need to take the brains outta that thing & put that stuff to work in the chief's office.
              From everything I have read online about it, it has many sensors built in plus initially it does learn from manual inputs by you over time and then begins to build a schedule around that plus apparently it is sophisticated enough to know when you are away.

              The house I am in process of closing on in a week has 3 zones. My plan is to put one of these in every zone as they learn to work together as well and reports are anywhere from 15 to 20 percent annual savings on energy use. In my case that pays for these things in the first year alone.
              sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
              ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

              Comment


              • #8
                I have one. I haven't used it yet due to my house still being built. I like the remote function of it because my wife is real cold natured (80 outside and has a jacket on) and turn the air off. I come home and it's 90 degrees in the house and my dog looks like he is one the verge of having a heat stroke. So I won't have to worry about that anymore.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Speedy Claxton View Post
                  I have one. I haven't used it yet due to my house still being built. I like the remote function of it because my wife is real cold natured (80 outside and has a jacket on) and turn the air off. I come home and it's 90 degrees in the house and my dog looks like he is one the verge of having a heat stroke. So I won't have to worry about that anymore.
                  Let me know how it works out for you. I should have my first one installed in a couple of weeks.
                  sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
                  ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, gosh....I just keep the house about 72 winter, 75 summer, all day and night, maybe a little nudge this way or that as needed. I dunno....if somebody had one of those things and told me what it was doing for them I might be swayed. But I just can't get a grip on it just from a web page.
                    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
                      Maybe not. Think about your uncertain schedule and it is 2 degrees. You have your air set just above pipe freeze. You dial that sucker up a few hours before you get home and you walk into a warm house that has not been keeping itself warms and empty for days.

                      EDIT: In our case, think of it being 110 outside.
                      110, damn, you should turn that Tstat down.
                      Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One power company down here gives one to you for signing a 2 year deal...

                        I've contemplated it
                        ][ ][ ][ %

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hmm...If they gave me one, I'd try it.
                          sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
                            Hmm...If they gave me one, I'd try it.
                            I've thought about it, but I would be locked in for 2 years at $.12/ kWh, when I'm currently only paying $.079-$.109 per kWh.
                            ][ ][ ][ %

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
                              Well, gosh....I just keep the house about 72 winter, 75 summer, all day and night, maybe a little nudge this way or that as needed. I dunno....if somebody had one of those things and told me what it was doing for them I might be swayed. But I just can't get a grip on it just from a web page.
                              I will let you know as I go because I do plan to get three of them. One for each zone.
                              sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
                              ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X