No announcement yet.

Mac Users: BNSF Emulator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web connect now works after Java security update was installed and system restarted.

Also loaded Windows 8 and Parallels on and so far I am very impressed that a Mac can run a virtual machine operating system, and less impressed with Windows 8. Glad it was on sale for $70.00. Can't believe Microsoft wanted almost $200.00 for it when it was released, $70.00 is the max I would be willing to pay for it.

Comment

A mac can run pretty much whatever. I've even had Linux running on this one at one time. Ran fine.
      sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Windows 8 sucks shit. Glad I'm not stuck using it all the time.

Comment

Haha, Apple takes away the largest programming language platform in existence because of some security flaws? They really break it off in people's asses by not telling anyone about the blacklist. Java is not dying, it is not going anywhere. It is as I said, the most popular programming platform in the world. I cannot believe the shit that people accept to be part of the Apple nanny state.

Comment

Problem is fixed now, which is more than I can say for Microsoft when their operating system didn't want to work with a program. My Windows experiences mostly consisted of me being constantly pissed off trying to fix shit on my own because there was zero support available that was worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin View Post
              Problem is fixed now, which is more than I can say for Microsoft when their operating system didn't want to work with a program. My Windows experiences mostly consisted of me being constantly pissed off trying to fix shit on my own because there was zero support available that was worthwhile.
              I've dealt with so many users of both OS's in my last career field to know that in most cases the user is to blame no matter what it is they are using. I've personally never run into a program that does not work on Windows as no OS builds in legacy hardware and software support like Windows, which is also their Achilles heel in trying to provide such broad compatibility. My guess is if you really had issues with Windows, give it time and you will also have issues with OSX. It's just bull shit that Apple blacklists such a prevalent aspect crucial to many people with no warning at all. What's even worse is when people defend such behavior. But like you said earlier, they are a terrible choice for enterprise. This move fucked a lot of businesses.

Comment

My guess is Apple wanted to blacklist the buggy hole filled Java to defend MacOSX's position as a secure OS. Of course it's not impregnable, but they do take an active role in trying to make it so. And as for trouble with MacOS, I can say after five years I have not had one second of difficulty with it. I had made myself comfortable with UNIX like environments before getting a Macintosh so was not afraid of getting under MacOSX's hood. But the day to day front end that is MacOS is so user friendly and simple enough that one never feels the need to putz with it. It just works. (and putzing is fun)
                sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

I've had Windows 8 loaded now for about 2 days, and already I have had to screw with it to get it registered properly and take care of a few other issues. It is already (in my opinion) a pile of steaming shit as an OS, not terribly user friendly, laid out stupidly, and accessing some functions like the start bar or control panel are infuriatingly slow to bring up on the side of the screen.

Comment

But say if Photoshop had a security vulnerability, the proper thing to do is NOT blacklisting the program with no warning. It shouldn't even be blacklisted at all, ever. Java is used in many programs that Apple users pay for. There is no defense. Apple fucked everyone hard and deep.

Penguin. I can come over and help you program your vcr clock if you ever need help. Judwging aside, why on earth did you purchase 8? Reviews aren't good for it. You should have researched it. It will flop like Vista and 7 will remain the dominant OS unless major changes are made to 8. Windows 7 is the best OS that I have ever used.

Comment

If I could have found a clean copy of 7 for a reasonable price I would have picked it up. 8 was on sale, yeah I know you get what you pay for...

I may find a copy of 7 and use Parallels to load it and get rid of 8. 8 seems to really be geared for personal users that do a lot of social media type activities that I don't really care too much about. For my limited use 8 is probably enough though once you wade through all the crap.

I agree that programs like Java shouldn't just be black listed. I am not sure why Apple did not program Mountain Lion/Safari to simply alert me that there were security risks, and let me decide. That was and is maddening. Odd thing is that the emulator HTML version would launch after messing around with the Java control panel after an update, but would then no longer work after a restart despite the changes to settings remaining the same.

I'm sure Apple and Oracle got an earful about it, not only from me (oh yeah, I called and chewed on some Apple Support ass...). At least it is fixed. For now.

I still really wish that BNSF would adopt a more modern interface for the emulator or a similar program. It would be nice to have something that is more easily adaptable to multiple operating systems and devices accessing it.

Comment

I just got my first Mac and can't get the emulator to run. It works fine on my iPad but nothing so far on the mac. Im not a computer genius so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Comment

http://www2.bnsf.com:8200/hc/parms=wc0000018

Works with latest mountain lion 10.8.5
                          Last edited by lear; 10-12-2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

it didn't work at first, but then a few hours later I tried it again and like magic it works. I was not going to like to have use my old crappy Dell to log on every time I wanted to look at work. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by meangreensir View Post
                              it didn't work at first, but then a few hours later I tried it again and like magic it works. I was not going to like to have use my old crappy Dell to log on every time I wanted to look at work. Thanks guys.
                              It just works! You can't explain that

Comment

Mine is now working with the emulator again with Safari as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X