Mac Users: BNSF Emulator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Users: BNSF Emulator

I don't know if you all are aware but Apple removed Java 6 and is now using Oracle Java 7 which only works for 64 bit browsers. Chrome is 32 bit so the Oracle version does not work with Google Chrome.

Here are the instructions to disable Oracle Java 7 and enable Java 6.

Java for OS X 2012-006: How to re-enable the Apple-provided Java SE 6 applet plug-in and Web Start functionality
    There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.

If you need Java for certain functionalities such as emulators by all means use it. But if you don't need it, ditch it, or learn how to easily disable and re enable for your browser. It is so full of security holes, it makes swiss cheese look water tight. So enable only when needed and off afterward.
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
      If you need Java for certain functionalities such as emulators by all means use it. But if you don't need it, ditch it, or learn how to easily disable and re enable for your browser. It is so full of security holes, it makes swiss cheese look water tight. So enable only when needed and off afterward.

The link tells you how to disable Java 7 and enable Java 6. Or vice versa.
      There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.

Comment

And if one were really into it he could write a script to automate the enable disable process.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

And if one were really into it he could write a script to automate the enable disable process.
          Could you do that please? Could it disable java 7 and enable 6 when accessing this link, and then when it closes disable 6 and enable 7?

http://www2.bnsf.com:8200/jretest.html lang=en_US&parms=def3270,enhanced,default,,&WCP_US ER=&action=switch.html

Comment

Eh? Automate it? No...I'm not that smart. But if you had Bash as your default shell you could easily write two quick and dirty scripts to use at the appropriate time. You could do it with Mac OS's default shell, but I know Bash somewhat better.

You just put the commands you gave above in a shell script file (can edit in TextEdit), one command for enabling another for disabling. Save them with a .sh extention and store them somewhere in your PATH. You have to enable the execute bit of course.
            Last edited by jonnyseeandoh; 10-31-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Sadly this did not work on my machine and I can no longer access the emulator in any way. Apple support was completely unhelpful and it seems that I have no version of Java 6 chached anywhere.

Fucking ridiculous.

Comment

You can install Java even though Apple no longer includes it. Just Google Java for Mac or something like that. I would avoid it unless I absolutely had to have though. It so full of security holes it looks like swiss cheese.

Comment

well i was gonna buy a 2008 macbook. but forget it now! lol
                  "I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"
                  Emiliano Zapata 8/8/1879 - 4/10/1919

Comment

Go right ahead....they are fine machines, and as I say you can put java on it if you need it. I am using a 2008 model, it had Java, but I removed it since I don't need it. But I can get it back anytime, and once you have it, Apple will patch it as needed.

Comment

I don't know why so many people have issues with the emulator and Mac. It runs on both my Macbooks and my iMac without issues. The HTML version works great on my iPhone and iPad.
                      "I HAVE MADE MY FINAL POST ON THIS FORUM. MY THANKS TO A FEW WHO HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFULL, HOWEVER I AM NOT GOING TO WASTE MY VALUABLE REST, READING AND RESPONDING TO "US vs THEM" VITRIOLIC PEOPLE."

Comment

Originally posted by JohnEasley View Post
                        I don't know why so many people have issues with the emulator and Mac. It runs on both my Macbooks and my iMac without issues. The HTML version works great on my iPhone and iPad.
                        Well Apple stopped using the java version we normally use and are now using their own. Maybe you haven't updated but the last time I updates my mac, after that it would not connect to the emulator. So I used the workaround and put the old java on and emulator works fine but as Johnny said it could be a security risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Honcho View Post
                          Well Apple stopped using the java version we normally use and are now using their own.
                          You have that part backwards.

Apple historically provided its own support for Java on OS X, but in October 2010 began pushing support for Java back to Oracle, with Steve Jobs noting that the previous arrangement resulted in Apple's Java always being a version behind that available to other platforms through Oracle. Consequently, Jobs acknowledged that having Apple responsible for Java "may not be the best way to do it.

It wasn't until last August that the transition was essentially complete, with Oracle officially launching Java 7 for OS X. Java 7 does not ship by default on Mac systems, meaning that many users are not affected this latest issue or other recent ones, but those users who have manually installed Java 7 may be experiencing issues with their systems.
                          ---

Comment

I wish webmasters would just quit using things that need Java. Java definitley needs to die quietly or otherwise.

Comment

I wish webmasters would just quit using things that need Java. Java definitley needs to die quietly or otherwise.
                              May they take Flash out the door with them.
                              html5 forever
                              ---

Comment

Working...
                              X