Find My iPhone - iCloud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My iPhone - iCloud

Find My iPhone is absolutely awesome. I finally played with this today and it is one feature that Apple got right! When I logged in, it instantly showed me my phone's location within what looked like feet from where it was sitting. I sent it a message and the phone dings until you cut it off. Great feature if it's lost in the couch. This would have been good for my iPhone that I lost, but if I had found it I would still be stuck with a 3G. So, it came right in time.

All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

I guess that's handy if you have a computer & the internet & no other phone. Otherwise, I'd just call the thing & listen for it to ring. Could be useful if it is on silent / vibrate -- does the locator thinggy make it ring even if on silent? What if you left it over at Jim Bob's house, does it show you on a map where you left your phone?
    Last edited by nsrlink; 12-04-2011, 10:37 AM.
    Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

I'm going to play with it some more tomorrow. Hopefully the phone survives. Lol.

Yeah, if I drop it somewhere, the map should show me exactly where it is.

About calling the phone. The message system is meant to get someone's attention so they can read the message. It just pings until unlocked. I think calling would probably use up a lot of needed battery too quick.
      All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

When my phone receives a call it only rings 4 times then goes to voicemail, so you have to keep dialing over and over untill the phone is found.

Comment

The most important part about this is that if your phone is lost or stolen you can possibly retrieve it. If it gets stolen the feature is useless if you do not have a pass code enabled. No pass code means that if it is stolen the perp can access the phone and shut the location services off. With pass code enabled they're going to have a difficult time bypassing the security and shutting off "FindMyiPhone".
          There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Honcho
            The most important part about this is that if your phone is lost or stolen you can possibly retrieve it. If it gets stolen the feature is useless if you do not have a pass code enabled. No pass code means that if it is stolen the perp can access the phone and shut the location services off. With pass code enabled they're going to have a difficult time bypassing the security and shutting off "FindMyiPhone".
            Excellent point. Since I lost my last phone, I not only lock it but have it set to erase if the code fails ten times.

What I want to tomorrow is exactly how the remote wipe function works. Will it work if the phone is off? Will it put the phone in a "showroom" state? I know I can probably read all that, but what is the fun in that? Lol.

Comment

I almost forgot about this...... Looks like its going to be a long night tonight.

Test 1 = FAIL....kinda

1. I turned the phone off.

2. Logged in to iCloud (Showed phone where it was at 0300 last night)

3. Message sent

4. 5 minutes later phone turned on.

5. iCloud updated location instantly without me having to refresh or anything.

6. Message alert heard, but could not see it without unlocking phone. When I sent the message with phone on, it showed the message over the unlock screen.

This kind of defeats the purpose of sending the message in hopes that someone turns the phone on and reads the message.

Comment

For your next test try actually losing your phone & see how easy it is to track it down again.
                Or toss it in a random car at work & try to track it in 3 to 5 days.
                That'd be fun & a realistic test too!
                Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
                  For your next test try actually losing your phone & see how easy it is to track it down again.
                  Or toss it in a random car at work & try to track it in 3 to 5 days.
                  That'd be fun & a realistic test too!
                  If I was one of those with the money to blow, I would try it. Especially in a car with F'ed up doors headed to industry that I know will be rejected and soon returned.

Comment

That was a first.

Plugged in to iTunes and it would not connect because the phone has a pass code. :thinking:

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing
                      That was a first.

Plugged in to iTunes and it would not connect because the phone has a pass code. :thinking:
                      Why are you plugging it in? It all works wirelessly for syncs and updates. It will sync wirelessly with your computer through wifi. You can cut the cord.
                      There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Honcho

Why are you plugging it in? It all works wirelessly for syncs and updates. It will sync wirelessly with your computer through wifi. You can cut the cord.
                        Good point. I was going the tried and true method of backing up my phone to the computer before I went any further and tested out anything that may cause me grief or cause you guys to do a face palm when I come back crying about losing everything. Lol

Comment

Syncing with wifi sux battery...plugging in charges battery while sync proceeds.
                          sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh
                            Syncing with wifi sux battery...plugging in charges battery while sync proceeds.
                            Who cares? If you're at home sitting on the couch and you sync your phone over wifi.

Comment

Ummm...I care...call me loco but I gotta do certain things a certain way. And my head shrinker says I can sync with the cable if I want to.
                              sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Working...
                              X