Malware - What next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
    I do believe Malwarebytes found the issue. The rundll32.exe is associated with a file that it believes to be a Trojan virus. Told me I would have to restart to finish removal. I restarted and Windows told me that something could not open properly (The file MB found as a virus). I looked in the system configuration under the start up tab and there it is with a check in its box. I assume this means it is still active?

Labeled:
    Start up item - Okuharukururulip
    Manufacturer - Unknown
    Command - rundll32.exe "C:\Users\Computer name\AppData\local\ijelawet.dll", Start up

I have googled "ijelawet.dll" and "Okuharukururulip " and found not even a close match to anything computer related.

I believe we found it. What next? How do I make sure it is dead? What the hell is it?
    It appears it was just coincidence that I saw that file when the system config started. I later found that the program that failed to open was Malwarebytes itself. Windows blocked it. I got it open and it finished its work. After a full scan that same file was found and removed.

Everything is now working as it should. Went through CCleaner and MSConfig and the file is not there any longer. Windows appears to be running normal again and all updates have finally loaded without failing.

As always, you guys have been a great help and I appreciate your time and expertise.
    All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

I would also suggest...

To prevent reinfection of what you just cleaned off,

Turn off the system restore, so that it will delete the system restore points where the computer was previously infected. (Since the scanners cannot search inside the restore files.)

Once you turn it off, and hit Apply, they should be deleted.

Then you can turn system restore back on, hit Apply, and it will create fresh restore points on the now clean computer.

Comment

And with that, if you take regular backups...delete all backups you now have and start a new full backup.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
          And with that, if you take regular backups...delete all backups you now have and start a new full backup.
          Yeah, thats what advice I will give him when I return it. Well that and to allow the virus scan to RUN and occasionally run CCleaner and the Malwarebytes.
          All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

4 essentials for any cpu/laptop:

1. AVG Anti Virus 2011
            2. CCleaner
            3. SuperAntiSpyware
            4. Malwarebytes

I've fixed a lot of old heads laptops using those four programs. Anyone care to guess how they got viruses and trojans?

Comment

Originally posted by mad dog View Post
              4 essentials for any cpu/laptop:

1. AVG Anti Virus 2011
              2. CCleaner
              3. SuperAntiSpyware
              4. Malwarebytes

I've fixed a lot of old heads laptops using those four programs. Anyone care to guess how they got viruses and trojans?
              I would add Combofix to that list of essentials. Excellent virus/malware repair program, just in case something gets by one of the protectors.
              NS should not require warm up exercises. We get enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running down our bosses,knifing friends in the back, dodging responsibility and pushing our luck.

Comment

Got Mac? Got Linux? Don't need none of those, just some antivirus so you don't become a carrier.
                sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Welcome to yesterday!

Comment

Oh, Mac, iOs, OSX, Android and Linux have their problems too these days: http://www.theregister.co.uk/software/os/

Comment

Working...
                    X