Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linksys Router, DD-WRT, and a giant network.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Router, DD-WRT, and a giant network.

So I think I'm bald now after the past week. So here goes, I want any and all input the three instances where I've pulled my hair out.

First: Linksys=No Internet
    Last Monday I get up, no internet, hmmm??? Power must have blinked... Well when the power blinks I have unplug both cable modem (some brand I've never heard of, I'd like to get a Motorola Surfboard)and router (Linksys WRT54G V8), then plug the Modem back in, wait for it to come "online", then plug in the router. well this time nothing... just Local only
    So I fooled with it for an hour and gave up. Decided to unplug them both while a go on a couple hours of running (Piano lesson, grocery store, and to the local shortline smozeing trying to get a job) get back home plug everything up, again no luck, did a hard reset of the router, nothing. Did out the spare (my "travel" router) router that is a Linksys WRT54G v8.2, plug it up and got my Internet. So I set the old one aside. we will get back to it in a moment, in another subject.

Second: A Giant Network
    This Saturday I went to a Centennial celebration in Boyce, VA where I "work" helping to restore the train station (I'm actually the Network administrator) Make a log story short I had a hell of a headache combining two separate networks into one network with to subnets. Here goes we have a Server machine and the Wifi Access Point on one network, the other network consist of a "camera server" which is connected to all the security cameras, and takes care of the motion detection, recording, etc. the two networks used to have two separate Internet connections. We have since gone to just one. hence the combining to allow the camera server Internet access. (I use LogMeIn to manage things from home). So to get things organized I have a "204" subnet for the server machine, and wifi. and a "205" subnet for all the Camers stuff and the camera server. The trouble is that I have to use tow routers and static routing to allow the camera server access to the internet as I cannot specify a 255.255.0.0 subnet in the Linksys router that we have (which is an ancient wireless B router so not DD-WRT compatable, and both router there are the same). I have decided to upgrade to one router with DD-WRT on it, as DD-WRT allows me to set the Subnet mask

Third: DD-WRT confusion

So remember that Router that wouldn't let me on the internet? Yeah you guessed it. I did DD-WRT on it today while watching the Raven and then the Redskins at a friends house. At first when I did I could get to the Internet using a LAN ports only not Wifi, fooled with it for three hours before I decided I had a brick when it came to a wireless router, but a good wired only router. Then later I went back home and DD-WRTed my router here, same damn thing, fooled with it for an hour and a half before I reverted back to the Linksys firmware. but wait... Same damn thing! then I realized I had not changed all my W-NIC setting from working at the station yesterday. Fixed it and Volia, so I tried the DD-WRT router that I though had dead WAN-Wifi connection, Volia it works now. It will pass internet through. DD-WRT fixed the problem it had on Monday. But Now I have a minor issue in DD-WRT (I'm a perfectionist) I have DHCP Enabled with a Range from 11-35 which is what I always keep mine at, anyways normally I would end up with and IP of .11 but no it starts at .21, so I neved the range to 100-124, yeo it starts at .110, any clue on this?

Now I'm going to bed!
    Thick as Valve oil, Black, White, and Tuscan Red
    That's how thick the Railroadin' in my blood is!

Ich sehne mich wieder Meister der Iron Horse werden

Nothing about this is normal!

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

1/20/17

Firstly, use anything but Linksys.....that said, whenever you find your wireless router not doing what it clearly used to do, do a hard reset. Some setting has gone wrong, and it cause some function not to work. How a setting gets changed without your intervention, I don't know. But, getting back to base factory settings allows you to rebuild your setup from the beginning.
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

I'll play the role of Mr. Obvious here, but one should really have their modem & router on a UPS, especially if you have VOIP.

Besides, my theory is never turn the computer stuff off & it will keep on chugging.
      Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
        Firstly, use anything but Linksys......
        Linksys routers are good.... for DD-WRT only which is what he has setup on them.

Comment

Linebacker, any clue what the DHCP Deal with DD-WRT in the Router is?

1/20/17

Comment

Originally posted by Linebacker71 View Post
            Linksys routers are good.... for DD-WRT only which is what he has setup on them.
            Sorry, but only in a pig's eye would that be true. No offense at all, but I been there...they are junk junk junk. Cisco should be ashamed putting their trash out in public and then charging money for it.
            sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Even $15k Cisco and Foundry enterprise routers have their share of problems. If money is tight, the DD-WRT firmware is definitely very helpful, some are definitely worse than others though. I have had to use a lot of these cheap Cisco routers for commercial purposes without much problem, but they definitely made me sweat wondering when it would bring down a few key point of sale systems! At my last job, we had a training suite of laptops served by one of these newer cheap units, the ones with the smoothed edges. That one was definitely a piece of crap, constantly needing to be reset.

I have a little Linksys WRT54GC that I have been using as my home router for probably over 5 years now. I wish I could flash it with DD-WRT firmware, but the signal strength is still strong enough in the places I have lived.

As for the problem, I have never come across a router that arbitrarily starts assigning addresses from the middle of the range. What happens when you try to assign the first available address?

Comment

Originally posted by trainman51 View Post
                I am wondering if it has reserved the first set of .11 thru .20 for specific devices? Staticly speaking.

How long is the lease for your IP adresses?

I have not messed with DD-WRT since my old Linksys wr54tg router, so I do not remember a lot of the menu layouts and functions.

I am currently running on a NetGear WNDR3700. Great router!!
                Last edited by Linebacker71; 10-04-2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
                  I'll play the role of Mr. Obvious here, but one should really have their modem & router on a UPS, especially if you have VOIP.

Besides, my theory is never turn the computer stuff off & it will keep on chugging.
                  Agreed! I used to live in an area with frequent 30sec power outages. I never had to reset the modem or router again after I put them onto UPS systems.

Originally posted by trainman51 View Post
                  What version and build number of the DD-WRT firmware are you running? Some of the custom build's do some real oddball things.

Comment

Sorry, but only in a pig's eye would that be true. No offense at all, but I been there...they are junk junk junk. Cisco should be ashamed putting their trash out in public and then charging money for it.
                    Hack Attack: Turn your $60 router into a $600 router

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1GjZedUlbg&feature=related"]YouTube - Router Hack: Install DD-WRT Firmware on your Router[/nomedia]

Comment

Putting different firmware may indeed help, but it's still putting lipstick on a pig.

Comment

The IP was something as stupid as My printer. I had to reset it the other day and evidently it switched it back to DHCP instead of Static. But it is still weird that the Router gave my printer 11 the phone (my Droid) 13 and the computer 21. After resetting the Printer to a Static of 5 and a router reboot I ended up with 11 on the laptop and 12 on the Droid which is Normal. Werid!

Now can anybody tell me a decent Gigabit Wireless N router that I can put DD-WRT on?

1/20/17

Comment

The trouble with gigabit ethernet, is that you have to upgrade everything not just your router, you need your cables, your nics and all. That said...Apple Airport Base Station does have gigabit etehrnet, and wireless a/b/g/n with dual radios to serve g and n simultaneously with no fallback. I am using two of these on my network, serving ten devices over a broad range.

Comment

The trouble with gigabit ethernet, is that you have to upgrade everything not just your router, you need your cables, your nics and all. That said...Apple Airport Base Station does have gigabit etehrnet, and wireless a/b/g/n with dual radios to serve g and n simultaneously with no fallback. I am using two of these on my network, serving ten devices over a broad range.
                            Thanks Jonny,

Now what cables are needed for Gigabit? I am trying to switch the 100mbps system at Boyce to a Gigabit system. Yes the Cameras are still 100Mbps but I ave learned from when put two Gigabit switches in and a Gigabit NIC in the camera Box that there was a night and day difference in speed.

1/20/17

Comment

Um, I think cat 6 is right....go higher if you can spring for it. And if you want to get the Airport Base, it comes with Windoze software too so you can set it up. You can do manual or auto setup, as you seem to prefer static IP, and maybe some DMZ stuff, you will want manual setup. You will have a choice for your internal network being on 10.0.0.X or on 198.162.0.x, and you can tinker with specifics.
                              Last edited by jonnyseeandoh; 10-06-2010, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X