Carputer Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer Suggestions

So I'm thinking about getting a carputer (Car Computer) to replace my factory radio in my car (which is getting semi flakey).

I'm looking for a Double Din carputer, that has AM/FM CD and compatibility for Sirius. I've found some that include USB GPS receivers but I don't need one as I already have one for my laptop that I can use. I'd like to grab one with Windows on it XP Pro, or Vista business, or 7 Pro preferred, this way I can install my programs that I use in the car (DeLorme Streets & Atlas 2008 +, Topo USA 7, and some Data packet programs that work with my ham radios)

Can anybody tell me anything about these things?
    Thick as Valve oil, Black, White, and Tuscan Red
    That's how thick the Railroadin' in my blood is!

Ich sehne mich wieder Meister der Iron Horse werden

Nothing about this is normal!

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

1/20/17

You live closest to the biggest place left in the mobile audio business in C'ville - Crutchfield's.

I have never heard of what you're looking for.
    Hire more Rons, not morons.

Comment

I got enough doodads in my car to make a body wreck and it doesn't even have an LCD screen. But, I would think Crutchfield should either have or be able to get what you are after...frankly I didn't know you could get Windoze into a double din box, and if you can, you really would want Linux, but then you'd have to do some hacking so....anyway Crutchfield is not too far from you, and their prices are usually pretty good.
      sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
        I got enough doodads in my car to make a body wreck and it doesn't even have an LCD screen. But, I would think Crutchfield should either have or be able to get what you are after...frankly I didn't know you could get Windoze into a double din box, and if you can, you really would want Linux, but then you'd have to do some hacking so....anyway Crutchfield is not too far from you, and their prices are usually pretty good.
        I guess I should goto Crutchfield's then head to Wild Wing Cafe for some Wings on the roof w/Beer and check out the hotties...

1/20/17

Comment

Throw me down a dozen with some honey barbecue when I go by...........
          sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Throw me down a dozen with some honey barbecue when I go by...........
            I will unless my eyes are glued to the Waitress...

Hell if I had taken the apartment in Staunton I was looking at (Actually was going to but some lady beat me by 10 mins on turning in the application...grr...) I'd tell you to stop by for some BBQ Chicken or a Steak. Place was in the Historic District which is where I wanted to go, just happened to be about 50 yards form the Bridge at Middlebrook Rd, where the BB lead into the flats comes over.

And I had no Luck with Cruthfield's! That were lost well almost, routed me to a web site in the UK
            Last edited by trainman51; 09-18-2010, 10:58 PM.

1/20/17

Comment

Why on Earth would you want a computer where your radio should be?
              All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

I built mine. I made a case out of a 50MM plastic ammo case, put a Lilliput 7" touchscreen in the dash, and use Centrafuse to handle the navigation and media software.

Do your homework and if you can save quite a bit of money.

Comment

you guys make me sound like an old fashioned dumbass.

My 98 Dodge still has the cassette deck in it, my sat radio is a roady XT...
                  Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

I can talk to my car..........and it listens....sometimes it sasses me back.

Comment

It thinks I don't really mean what I say, so asks me to repeat....as if I would say something else.

Comment

It thinks I don't really mean what I say, so asks me to repeat....as if I would say something else.
                        Must be that Damned Ford SYNC system that I have in my Explorer. I Love & Hate it at the same time...

1/20/17

Comment

That's the one.........I have a bunch of Spanish music on my iPod, and I can't call any of it up by name, cause SYNC doesn't speak Spanish, and doesn't understand when I talk to it in Spanish.
                          Last edited by jonnyseeandoh; 09-26-2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

That's the one.........I have a bunch of Spanish music on my iPod, and I can't call any of it up by name, cause SYNC doesn't speak Spanish, and doesn't understand when I talk to it in Spanish.
                            Try making Phone calls... I have also realized that it seems to think things sound different, like when it says rap is says "trap" trapt is "ttrapt", etc

1/20/17

Comment

Working...
                            X