Trace IP Address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trace IP Address

Maybe some of my Brothers ans Sisters who are more technologically advanced can help me with this...

I currently use HughesNet as my service provider and use a router in my home. I keep getting alerts that a certain IP address has signed onto my network. Although they are unable to get into my computer I would like to find out if this is one of my neighbors piggy-backing off my router. Can anyone tell me how to find the location/identity of a an IP address?

Thanks,
    DJ
    Labor is prior to, and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor and could never had existed if Labor had not existed first. Therefore Labor is superior to Capital, and deserves much higher consideration.

while I am unable to answer the trace question, I would seriously suggest password protecting the network to make it secure.
    Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

Yes password protect it or you could really screw them up by doing this:

Turn your wifi piggybackers' internet upside down

Upside-Down-Ternet

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=turn+internet+upside+down#hl=en&q=turn+wireles s+internet+upside+down&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= &pbx=1&fp=728ef3750cf3a29c]turn internet upside down - Google Search[/ame]

Why not have some fun?
      There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.

Comment

Google the following terms...."WHOIS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" X's being the IP address you are picking up. It will bring a number of free whois sites which do a reverse DNS query and with the information supplied you will see who the provider is for that IP. You will probably find it's your own carrier if it's a piggy back, for you are the provider in that case, and you would be looking at your own outward facing IP. It might just be someone pinging you looking for a hole in your network, or they are advertising something, perhaps a peer to peer node. Ya never know, but that WHOIS query can get you started. And if your network is not password protected, you might well put a sign in your yard advertising free wireless...for you are certainly giving it away.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Thanks for the tips and the good advice from all of you. I password-protected my wi-fi today, but I am still having trouble with the "WHOIS" Google search. I will keep fooling with it until I figure it out. Thanks again Brothers!
          Labor is prior to, and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor and could never had existed if Labor had not existed first. Therefore Labor is superior to Capital, and deserves much higher consideration.

Comment

Working...
          X