AT&T U-Verse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T U-Verse

You may have read I was signing up for AT&T U-verse, so for those interested, here's the report:

AT&T Line Tech (Communications Workers of America Union) comes to the house, gives me a new phone network interface box outside. Kills the DSL (as expected.) He wired the PNI box in to the existing cable box. AT&T uses their 4 pair copper wires to hop to the existing coax in your house to get the signal throughout your home. (Additionally, I had & still have an AT&T land line / bell line in service.) He told me when he measured my line speed at the box outside my house, I was capable of 54mbs download & 49mbs upload & I am only 1506 feet from the neighborhood AT&T box down the street. (I was told one must have at least 32mbs arriving at their home to be considered "full signal.") (My internet package I signed up was "only 12mbs.")

Later on a Prem Tech (Premise Technician, non union guy,) shows up to hook up all the shit inside the house + wire up a few things in the cable interface box. Inside & upstairs, he had to run a coax cable to the Residential Network Gateway (manufactured by 2wire for AT&T, a box that controls everything,) since I didn't have a coax outlet near my computer command center. From that one outlet, he spliced off 2 coax connections for the two TVs / two Set Top Boxes.

The Residential Network Gateway
    is the brains of the operation. This one box has built in Wireless G, 4 ethernet ports, a broadband port (unused,) coax in (from the closest coax wall outlet,) 2 phone ports out, 1 phone port in, & a USB port (unused.) All of the Set Top TV boxes communicate with the 1 DVR so they can "pull" recorded TV off the DVR & play it in any room. Additionally, the Set Top TV boxes & DVR communicate with the Residential Network Gateway box to get the TV guide info & some interactive content crap.

He plugged up the Residential Network Gateway & one PC via ethernet & got it going via the internet. Next to setup was the VOIP phone, which was no big deal at all. Then he went around the house hooking up 1 DVR & 4 other receivers that the DVR would communicate with. Most TVs got new coax cable from the wall to the box & new coax from the box to the TV. He was here a little over 2 hours I'd guess. Left me a pile of quick user guides, channel lineups, & gave me a bunch of HDMI, component, & S-Video cables, & ethernet cables off his truck.

There are 6 computers here at command central: 3 are wired up with gigabit ethernet connections, 1 desktop & 1 laptop connect through G Wireless, and a second laptop connects through A or B wireless. I knew going in to this that anybody AT&T sent out here would have no clue as to how to get my network going as it was with DSL. So, I had to fend for myself on how to get the Routers, switches, & wireless access points (yeah, all plural,) to talk to all the devices & PCs on the network again & get on the internet.

We had a long ski weekend planned after install, so I didn't have a lot of time to find an answer. But I did notice over the next few days that most of the TV boxes failed to communicate with the DVR & would not play the recorded programs from the DVR. The boxes would freeze up & require a reboot. Sometimes this reboot solved the problem, sometimes not. I also noticed the internet would go down from time to time. I was like WTF did I just sign up for!!??!!

Back from the ski trip, I had a little more time to tinker with things. ....Meaning that somehow the whole fucking ball of wax failed that evening: no landline, no internet, no live TV, to VOIP-phone, no nothing. Rebooted everything I don't know how many times & called the cum-quats at AT&T. Ran through a bunch of useless tests & rebooting everything over & over. Dude tells me they'll have to send a land line tech and a Prem. Tech out in the morning. Great.

Well, somehow, I managed to get everything going (naturally,) during the night before they got here. Land line guy shows up, says he finds no problems. Had him come up stairs & replace the phone jack nearest the computer command center. Working fine.

Later the Prem. Tech shows up. Somehow, this time, I got a guy who was a Sr. Prem. Tech for my state. He took one look at the wiring upstairs & shook his head. He couldn't believe anything was working at all - ever!! So he goes out to the cable box on the outside of the house, couldn't believe that shitty job either. He re-wired some stuff in the cable interface box outside & came up & rewired 3 of the connections upstairs.

The Residential Network Gateway (brains) must have a dedicated coax in from the wall he said. Oh, he was also disgusted by Prem. Tech A's TWO splices in the "one" coax cable from the wall to the Residential Network Gateway as well. So, he ran one solid cable from the outlet to the Residential Network Gateway. Then, to drive my 2 TVs in proximity to my computer command center, he ran ethernet from the Residential Network Gateway to a gigabit switch & then wired up the two TV boxes with cat 5 ethernet from said switch. (Here's a view of the connections on the back of the DVR & Set Top TV Boxes.) Everything was working well when he left & he apologized profusely for Prem. Tech A's shitty job the entire time he was here.

Finally had time to read & SEARCH on dslreports.com to find the answer I needed on how to setup my network behind the Residential Network Gateway box from AT&T. (Thank god I found the answer!!) The solution I chose to deploy was to set my network devices & PCs ("behind the gateway") to 192.168.2.xxx instead what many consider the norm of 192.168.1.xxx
    I allowed the Residential Network Gateway to have the traditional 192.168.1.xxx addresses (though it has 2 other preset ranges one can select from or the ability to enter a custom address.) The gateway assigns the DVR & Set Top Boxes an IP address to communicate amongst themselves on 192.168.1.xxx (or whatever you specify,) and it has DHCP built in for this purpose. (Also, your IP address to the internet for the whole ball of wax is dynamic, though for a nominal fee, AT&T can give you a static IP address at your home.)

So, now everything has been running smooth for 3 or 4 days around here & I suppose I'm ready to pronounce everything "stable." With regard to the internet connection I'm testing at 11.5mbs download & around 1.5mbs upload. (I'm not using the Residential Gateway Box for anything other than to "feed the internet" over to the routers.) The internet connection is fast & more importantly reliable, but it doesn't "feel like" wow, holy shit this is fast, it just feels faster. Keep in mind though, I don't do a lot of downloads or streaming audio / video, which is where one could really "feel" the potential. I'm just an impatient fuck.

The VOIP phone is fine & does have better quality than Vonage. I will say with the faster connection I can be uploading / downloading & not notice a choppy conversation as I did with my previous set up of 6mbs AT&T DSL + Vonage. Then again, I haven't talked on the VOIP that much.

Concerning the TV, as the misses wanted, we now have 450 channels of mostly bullshit to watch. Though, admittedly, there are a few offerings I wasn't getting previously that I'm starting to watch. The Set Top Boxes pulling a show off the one DVR is a pretty good deal (just pray you don't have any networking issues like I did to start with.) We have a rear projection HDTV downstairs as our only HDTV (for now,) & the HD stuff looks very good & clear. If you get one of the larger channel packages, you'll get a larger capacity DVR too. The DVR & Set Top Boxes have a multitude of ways to hook them up to your TV & I've upgraded some of the connections from standard coax. (Here's a view of the connections on the back of the DVR & Set Top TV Boxes.)

Anything you wanna know / comment about, go for it. Overall (and so far,) I'd recommend the service, just watch your Prem Tech / installer like a hawk. I would recommend you ensure he uses or leaves you the best cabling from the Set Top Boxes / DVR to your TVs, they have a shitload of stuff on their trucks. Also, if you have a complex computer network, you might want to do a little research before hand to get an idea of what to expect "after the tech is gone," and you're on your own.
    Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Its funny you mention the U-Verse mess. My parents had Comcast for 15 years and Southwest Bell for 25 before signing on to U last year. They have had 3 service calls since it was installed 8 months ago for phone or internet not working yet in the previous 25 years of Ma Bell they had 1 call in 25 years. My dad is about ready to hang it up and go to DirecTV for video and back to bell for DSL service. I tried to tell him U was an exercise in futility. I hope you have better luck.

By the way, loved the detailed description of all that happened. I could visually see it all the way through. Reminds me of some home theater tech installs I used to have to go out and fix after they got done.
    sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
    ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

Comment

Thanks. Failed to mention Premise Tech A failed to leave the AT&T provided battery backup unit for the Residential Network Gateway (to keep your VOIP phone going for a bit in the event of a power failure.) Premise Tech B gave it to me.

Same here with regard to the copper phone line through Southern Bell / Bellsouth / AT&T... they have never been here for anything during the 15 years I've been here, it has always worked. I can't say anything bad about Southern Bell / Bellsouth DSL either, it worked & was rarely down or slow... and I had that since the week it was available here. Our local cable provider is Time Warner & they can suck my juicy asshole for raising the price of cable over the years & not offering anything else in return. Ya hear that Time Warner?? FUCK YOU!!! So that leaves Dish or Direct TV & MawBell's DSL as alternates.

I hope the U-verse service is reliable too since it's all humming along now, but we shall see. An AT&T guy (executive type) my step-dad plays golf with admitted the service had some complaints about reliability & customer satisfaction issues. (No shit??!!)

Oh & supposed to get a $400 gift card to offset the cost of all this stuff, we'll see if that happens.

Tell your pops to keep AT&T's ass out there till they get it right & demand a concession on his monthly bill too while he's at it. Good luck.
      Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

When my father made the call to them, he told them he had about had enough and they did offer him a $20 a month credit for 6 months for now and that they would work hard to resolve any further issues.

I am not so sure part of the problem here is that maybe AT&T got in over their head with the technology and not enough qualified staff to deal with the fiber and related issues.
        sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

Comment

I'd be interested in U-verse but its not offered in my territory as of yet. Are you in a big city NS?
          There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Honcho View Post
            I'd be interested in U-verse but its not offered in my territory as of yet. Are you in a big city NS?
            Yes, largest city in the state.
            AT&T, Verizon, & others are rolling this out as fast as they can go & with good reason: the cable companies have been taking them to school having TV, VOIP, & internet in one wire. AT&T (Bellsouth) was offering bundled VOIP, DSL, & Direct TV packages to counteract the cable companies. AT&T needs to be aggressive with their deployment, service, reliability, & price point to gain market share since they have been sitting on their can when compared to the aggressiveness of the cable companies deployment "all in one" service."

Comment

Methinks AT&T may be learning as they go....hope they get better so their product will truly be a competitive offer.
              sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

We talked about it, but found out its not here just yet. Its up the road a ways though.
                One of my buddies got it installed and really likes his.
                However one of the guys here at work hates his and is going back to Directv.

We have Directv and cable internet.

I'll stay this route.

I do remember my neighbor getting the VOIP through Insight and he had more trouble with it.
                I see the "moron meter" pegged you! It never fails...EVER!

Comment

Update:
                  Last week all of the televisions quit (one by one.) The shitty thing is none of the set top boxes could communicate with the "Network Residential Gateway," so all we got was what I call "The Orange Screen of Death" (OSOD.) Hell, the DVR unit wouldn't even play the stuff that was recorded! The internet & VOIP Phone worked though.

I rebooted the "Network Residential Gateway," DVR, & set-top boxes to no end & with no luck. Called AT&T, they dispatched a premise technician the next morning. What do you know, it was "Prem. Tech. B." who came to our rescue after the first guy fucked up the initial install. He tells me, oh, looks like you've been upgraded to a 32MB profile which means if / when AT&T offers a faster internet, you'll be able to get that if you want it & you have more bandwidth. I told him right then & there that was bullshit, I've had that reading on my coax to the "Network Residential Gateway" from the jump. He said he didn't remember that. So I pulled out the on screen printouts I got the day it was installed. Huh, he was in disbelief - sorry I didn't recall that.

So, he tells me the coax going in to the "Network Residential Gateway" wasn't showing enough bandwidth. (Funny, it worked fine for about 3 weeks after he came in & "corrected everything.") So, he ran a new coax from the box outside the house upstairs to where all my PCs and the "Network Residential Gateway" reside.

Been almost a week now & everything is still up & running. My theory is the techs that come out (least around here,) plug the shit in & hope for the best. If they see something amiss, they hope like hell it doesn't break.

So far, the customer service is lacking; though when you call in they try to be helpful & will send someone out right away at no cost. But damnit, do it right the first time & people will be happier & the word will spread. Having repetitive issues like I'm experiencing aren't good for business.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your misadventures as the one thing a rail wants is to be able to relax with watching tv and not having to fight it. Hope it works out better for you. I have to imagine at some point DirecTV will start looking better. Mine has since I signed up in 1995 and never looked back.

Comment

Thanks & hopefully, "this is it." I sure am not paying Time Warner a damned time for cable... they can totally kiss my ass for raising their rates all these years & not giving any additional channels with the same package I had. I've always had phone & internet with AT&T / Bellsouth / Southern Bell since it was available & it was so reliable - never any issues. DirectTV could be an option for television - seems the lesser of two evils when compared to Time Warner. My parents have Direct TV & like it just fine.

Comment

comcast is my cable provider, gave up their internet as i tether thru verizon on my blackberry $15 month works anywhere the cell phone does. my home phone is att with no caller id no long distance i can make local calls and get calls. costs me less than $19 a month with tax. my cable is worthless. if the wind blows or its raining like their commercials say about satelites the cable goes out. i sure as hell would not give up my $19 a month line i get called to work on for a p.o.s cable based phone that will cost me double or more from comcast. i am about to drop the cable as i am paying $57 a month now for basic and expanded cable no premium channels (total about 60 channels) not a digital box. comcast is becoming xfinity which is just another way for them to raise our bills. they are all shitty. i am staying with my copper based phone until thy pry it from my dead hands.
                        --all postings by this poster are public information and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad-for their official position please see the particular carriers website

Comment

GSXR, I agree. My copper bell phone / land line with no extras (only the RR has that number,) and it is a dedicated line is less than $20 per month with taxes. It always works & I'll never give that up either!

Sounds like Comcast in your area is the same as TimeWarner here. That's exactly what I had: about 70 cable channels (extended basic I think they termed it,) no boxes, no movie or premium channels. I remember when that same package used to cost $37 a month. Now it's over $60. The cable here is generally pretty reliable; though I won't forget a winter snow storm several years ago where phone & power worked, but the cable was out for over 2 weeks.

Comment

AT&T U-verse.... Anyone using this?

Long story short, my cable internet is so damned unreliable that I must try something else. My mother and grandmother have nothing but good to say about U-verse so I ordered on their say so. Appointment is next Monday for installation.

I damn near hung up on the moron who sold it to me since he sounded like a used car salesman and knew almost nothing about the equipment. When i asked him simple stuff like what band does it broadcast on on I got answers like, "Man, that's technical stuff. You are gonna love this lighting fast thing we are sending you!"......
                            ME: Really? Compared to what?
                            MORON:"To everything, man". ...........
                            ME: How the fuck do you know?
                            MORON: "Man, it can do everything and your coverage will be so much better than what you have now". ....
                            ME: Wow, it'll reach four blocks over? (LOL).......
                            MORON:"I'm not sure". ........
                            ME: Does it have a USB on the back so i can plug in an external hard drive......
                            MORON:"I'm not sure".............
                            ME:Then how do you know it'll be so great and do everything I need it to do?.......
                            Frustrated MORON: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Yeah, it's all I could do to keep going forward. If I can get a reliable 10 mbps of the 18 I am paying for it will be worth it.
                            All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Apparently a student at Berkley was frustrated enough to find out the specs and answer a lot of technical questions that AT&T and Motorola couldn't or wouldn't. He must have talked to the same moron I did.

Motorola NVG510 help page for AT&T U-Verse users | Ron Berman @ Haas
                              All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X