Windows trouble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows trouble

For some reason, out of no where, my VOLUME CONTROL, NETWORK ICON AND BATTERY METER is missing from my notification area. That little space ext to the clock at the bottom.

I tried "right clicking" the task bar, going to "Notification Area" and putting it back with no luck. The options are there, but they are greyed out and I cannot select them.

I have volume and obviously internet, so this is apparently just the icons that have been removed.

WHY? And how do I get them back?
    All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Windoze doesn't boot things in any particular order and sometimes certain things never get initiated if the boot cycle is busy. This is poor housekeeping on M$'s side. Try booting repeatedly and you'll see a different assortment of items that don't appear. You can try slimming down the number of things that start automatically at boot, to make the process less intense.
    sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
      Windoze doesn't boot things in any particular order and sometimes certain things never get initiated if the boot cycle is busy. This is poor housekeeping on M$'s side. Try booting repeatedly and you'll see a different assortment of items that don't appear. You can try slimming down the number of things that start automatically at boot, to make the process less intense.
      So this may just be something that windows put in a different boot order and just forgot about?

Thanks.
      All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Never was sure how this could even happen, after all the process that the icon represents does load, but it's icon doesn't sometimes. And I only noted it was related to how hard the computer seemed to be working while booting. There was once a freebie utility that claimed to be able to reorder your boot time processes to make them more efficient, but it didn't do much that I could see. The only cure I know is to remove some items that start automatically and start them manually if you really need them after booting is complete. The volume icon BTW is the one that most often fails to load, and any third party app could fail to load it's icon at any time. Personally I believe strongly that Windoze is a poorly written OS, and was never properly debugged or optimized. The excuse that it has to run on any computer is a red herring. Linux does too, and it boots in seconds, and never crashes.
        Last edited by jonnyseeandoh; 09-26-2009, 11:47 AM.
        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Go to Start/Run and enter msconfig. Go to startup tab and only disable the stuff you do not need. Then re-start. When the box popup after restart just check it and close out of the box.

This may help.
          There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.

Comment

I'd make sure that I had run an antivirus program such as Spyware or other such program to ascertain there is not a viral infiltration that has screwed the registry. Recently had an attack that redirected several icons to itself or nowhere and stopped a couple of applications like the clock.

Damn windoze anyway! Too easily comprimised!

Comment

Its back.

I disabled the few programs that I recognized and new I would be safe disabling, did a regestry scan and re booted.

I dont know what did it, or if just re-booting did it, but I thank you guys for your help.

This really IS what makes this site so great.

Comment

I'd recommend this site as the cost is minimal ($29) and it's a lifetime signup for support and upgrades. Has been fairly effective.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

Comment

OK, now that we fixed that problem.........

Tell me what kind of laptop/notebook to buy the wife for christmas. All she can tell me is that it must be the color green. Dont that freekin help?

All she does is surf the web and load pictures from her camera. Occasionally she will change songs on her Ipod.

I drive myself crazy when I look at sites like Dell and try to customize. Why? Because I dont know what the F____ Im doing.

She dont need the fastest processor on the market, yet I dont want her to feel like she is on dial up either.

I dont know.............

Comment

Hmm. BOK, a cheaper Dell sounds good. Multi core chip, Core 2 Duo is nice, 2nd up from the slowest they got. 64 bit Windows 7, wait till they are actually shipping, no wait for upgrade, and here's why: in my Compaq I have a 8.7 gig partition that has the original system image from the factory. If everything else fails I can do a system restore from that, basically automatically formatting the C drive wiping it off and copying the original image back on to it. Pain in the ass to update from scratch and reinstall everything, but you get your computer back like new. Dell might do something similar, or they may give you all that stuff on disc anyway. Get 4-6 gigs of memory, wireless everything inc. bluetooth, and both VGA style [analog] and DVI [digital] video outputs, capable of outputting 1080P signals. HDMI is nice too. Built in webcam/mic is good. Gigabit ethernet is better than 10/100. You can buy MS office and 3 yrs. of antivirus/malware at this time too. I use open office to open docs from the web and I like it a lot for that, no need to struggle with with the MS license for Word, Excel, PP stuff. If she works for a fair size company, find the corporate guidelines for portable computers, she may want to hook up at work and they WILL have policies!! Full boat support for 2 yrs. w/call in and return to sender. I use and recommend AVG free antivirus, Ccleaner is handy to modify startups, uninstall, do basic registry cleanup, and clear all your caches and temp files in one fell swoop. Secunia scanner finds and helps you update unsecure software that Win updates doesn't get, like flash and reader and winamp and all that stuff. A second updater I use as well is the updater from filehippo.com Startup monitor Mike Lin's Home Page is very handy, when you install something it gives you the option of letting the startup options or not. Generally I don't, unless it's for the update portion of important things like Java, which is too hairy to check and update manually. Caught malware with it in the past, stopped stuff from loading in the boot cycle! To sum: in boot/startup, you let Windoze boot with core system functions, your network stuff and internet connection, and your protections AND THAT'S IT. I got 2 folders called Utilities and Multimedia on my desktop where I keep the shortcuts for everything else, and I call up something manually when I want it. Hope this helps.
                    Last edited by Dogbearbyter; 09-27-2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I have a Dell Mini 9 that is lime green....costs a little extra coin but looks cool. And it doesn't do windoze! Also, it's well made.

Comment

Another trick to look for bugs is too go to Start/run and type MRT and hit enter and run the Malicious Removal Tool built into windows.

If running vista just type MRT in the search box by the start button.
                        There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.

Comment

Windows coming out with their own free version of Antivirus. Already available.

Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials Free Antivirus App Leaves Beta - Microsoft security essentials - Lifehacker

Comment

Interesting development with Google Chrome caught by El Reg: Chinese whispers hint at early Chrome OS release ? The Register If it's lighter and fleeter than windows, might bring up the usability of these bargain machines to something bearable, esp. with multimedia and social networking and such.

Comment

I love the Chrome browser and if you use the developer channel which I do you can install extensions and scripts.

All you need to do is download the chrome channel switcher and run it and change to the developer side then you have extensions and you can sync your bookmarks across all computers.

Chrome Channel Changer

Then go to the wrench in the right hand corner of the Chrome browser and click the About Chrome and update to the latest and greatest.

You can get some extensions in this forum:

Google Chrome Plugins and Themes

Go to the forum.

Here also:

Google Chrome Extensions

Comment

Working...
                              X