Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody shoot benchrest?

here are a few of my rifles.

6ppc. panda action Krieger heavy varmint barrel. nightforce 12x42x56mm scope.

.22lr hall action right bolt left port. lilja calfee 4 groove tight bore barrel with a r.v.a. barrel tuner. night force 12x42x56mm target scope. don stith birds eye maple br stock.

Suhl 150 standard in a don stith br stock made of fiddle back maple. weaver t-36 target scope with a 7x booster. hoehn tuner.

I have other custom long range rifles. there are much better rounds than the .308 or .338 lapua magnum for long rang shooting. the problem is barrel life on the better rounds.

I have to recant the scope on the hall. It now has the night force on it. In the picture I think it was a Tasco 36x scope with no booster. The suhl has the weaver t-36 with the 7x booster.

Comment

Hmmm....lot's of goodies....I use the forest service shooting range to zero...that's all the bech rest shooting I do. Everything else is as Uncle Sugar taught me.
      sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

I seem to be trapped shooting score. For testing at 100 yards it had best be one ragged tiny hole with 5 shots. I do a lot of hunting and normally use old fashioned iron sites that I grew up using. if i'm hunting over the fields (corn,soybean or hay) I have a .300 win mag I custom built I use. I zeroed it at 500 yards with hornady 220 grain eldx bullets over 75.5 grains of h1000 powder with Winchester magnum primers. I had to seat the bullet so far out I load it like a single shot rifle. it has been punching just under 2 inch groups at 500 yards so I am happy with it(it won't win any matches shooting that bad, but it lays the smack down on deer). the barrel is a old take off stainless varmint tapered fluted barrel I hand lapped and rechambered and recrowned. I have a brand new shilens select match grade blank for it when this barrel starts going south.
        Last edited by gotta go jo; 05-13-2016, 09:38 PM.

Comment

better hide that RAYYYYYSYST flag that's displayed in your pics.
          Je ne suis pas Charlie; Je suis armé!

Comment

If I see a racist flag I will burn it. So far they have all had this big x with no back ground do or stars on them anyplace!

Comment

Never have pursued the bench rest game. I used to shoot position target rifle both small bore and high-power. (more small bore experience). I also used to compete in bullseye pistol. I still enjoy practical precision rifle shooting, but bench rest in my mind does not count as such. Unless you carry a bench rest every where you go I don't see what field useable skill is being developed.

Comment

Sure it is. You learn to read the wind in ways you never will in any other sport. Reading the wind when you are aiming at a tiny dot means everything. I have found my wind reading skills have even made me a better hunter by placing get the bullet exactly where I want it in the animal I am pursuing.

Comment

Originally posted by gotta go jo View Post
                  Sure it is. You learn to read the wind in ways you never will in any other sport. Reading the wind when you are aiming at a tiny dot means everything. I have found my wind reading skills have even made me a better hunter by placing get the bullet exactly where I want it in the animal I am pursuing.
                  That is the thing I learned the most from Nat'l Match, reading the wind.
                  Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

Working...
                  X