30-06 Hunting cartridge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-06 Hunting cartridge

Recently, I picked up a Ruger American chambered in 30-06. I may use this for whitetail hunting and the wife may use it as well. Any recommendations on a factory load that will be great out to about 100 yards and not blow her shoulder out? And before I get any shit on the chambering, I got the rifle and a metric shit ton of ball ammo for a price that I couldn't refuse. You know, "just in case"....
    "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." - Confucius

150 or 165 factory loads are great, if you handload you can back it off a bit. I like that rifle, keep us posted on what load you wind up with.
    Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

Originally posted by jetboater View Post
      150 or 165 factory loads are great, if you handload you can back it off a bit. I like that rifle, keep us posted on what load you wind up with.
      Okay, I'll get some of those and have her try it. Thanks for the advice! BTW, I read a review of the American on the "truthaboutguns" website and it is pretty negative. I got the impression that the reviewer was comparing this rifle to $1k plus rifles, sorry, not the same!

Comment

Take what you read with a grain of salt, Ruger builds rugged basic weapons, generally they work every time, and will hold 3" at 200 yards with most factory ammo, and most people shouldn't be shooting farther anyways.

Let us know how you come to like it.
        Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

I have a 30.06 and mostly use Remington Core Lokt in either 165 or 180 grain. I'm not into the fancy rounds. Over the years I have found the ability to get a good shot placement, remaining calm, and getting a good sight picture to be far more important than the ammo.

When I went by the deer processer, I was surprised at the amount of gut shot deer I saw. Shit, these hunters must have thought just getting a shot anywhere in the body was ok. I like to hunt humanly. If I can't get a good shot, I don't take the shot.

Centerfire Ammunition - Rifle Ammunition - Core-Lokt Ammunition

Comment

I ended up trying a box of Core-Lokt 125gr managed recoil. Works good!

Comment

Working...
            X