Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetboater
    replied
    I have found a source for cheap brass. local recycler has a 4x6 bin that gets filled from the ranges out on Gowen, 3.08 a lb.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyseeandoh
    replied
    If you think you can do it well, by all means do it. I'll send you a ton of 5.56. brass! That stuff is real spendy.

Leave a comment:

• throttle
    replied
    Originally posted by Penguin View Post
    If you don't reload then either caliber would be completely insufferable to shoot much, and so expensive to shoot you could never get proficient unless you were independently wealthy.
    I've never reloaded. Had a buddy that did this and we would just chip in and get primers powder and lead. He passed away a couple years back and his wife sold all his stuff off as I didn't want it (was old and well used) I've debated getting into it, with the cost of ammo now, it might be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Penguin
    replied
    If you don't reload then either caliber would be completely insufferable to shoot much, and so expensive to shoot you could never get proficient unless you were independently wealthy.

Leave a comment:

• throttle
    replied
    Originally posted by jetboater View Post
    He had a Field Grade 454, and it was too much for his wrists, or so he says. He believes the 500 will kick a ton less, maybe when I suggested to him he was nuts thats what pissed him off?
    A 500 less than a 454? Well, I owned a Alaskan and a buddy has a 500. I'll take the casull even out of the short barrel.
    Noticed I used the past expression of ownership.

Leave a comment:

• Penguin
    replied
    He had a Field Grade 454, and it was too much for his wrists, or so he says. He believes the 500 will kick a ton less, maybe when I suggested to him he was nuts thats what pissed him off?
    First thing to do with a field grade FA .454 is get rid of the rubber grips because they don't allow the gun to roll and dissipate some of the recoil.

The next step is to start hand loading, full powered rounds are not pleasant to shoot in volume. Use IMR 4227 or Alliant 2400 to make some reasonable field loads. By reasonable I mean push a 300gr bullet along at 1350-1400, or a 360gr bullet along at 1250-1300. Brass will drop right out of the cylinder, recoil will be energetic but not painful especially in the heavy FA. This is about what you would expect power wise from a full house .44 Magnum, except to me they seem to recoil less.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyseeandoh
    replied
    They are the same size class give or take, I reckon with a similar type gun you'd get more or less the same kick. Does anybody make semi autos for either round?

Leave a comment:

• jetboater
    replied
    Originally posted by Penguin View Post
    He doesn't want a .454 or just didn't realize that they are not that expensive compared to a S&W X-Frame?

Leave a comment:

• Penguin
    replied
    When I talked to Dad the other night, he related to me he had been trying to buy a 500 Smith and Wesson. He told me how much, I offered for what he was gonna spend he could buy a 454 Casull. Thats what set him off, not sure why, but was kinda funny...
    He doesn't want a .454 or just didn't realize that they are not that expensive compared to a S&W X-Frame?

Leave a comment:

• throttle
    replied
    A friend has a Kimber CDP he is talking about selling. I have shot it and it's extremely accurate, we shall see if he decides to go through with the sale.
    There is a nice prize.
    I wanted to go to the shop today, but just don't feel like it.

Leave a comment:

• jetboater
    replied
    A friend has a Kimber CDP he is talking about selling. I have shot it and it's extremely accurate, we shall see if he decides to go through with the sale.

Leave a comment:

• RadioGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by throttle View Post
    Walked into my local shop and he had a really nice Kimber laying in the main display. Wife was with me and she said "you aren't spending that much on a gun!"
    She sure is pretty though, its small enough I believe to carry IWB but I'd not want to put that in a holster!!!
    Hah, years back I went to a beauty supply shop to pick up some gifts for a gal I was dating at the time and the owner was a friend of mines mother. I walked in and she saw my NRA hat on and she started asking if I liked to shoot and what not, when I told her I did, she said had a CCW permit and carried all the time. I asked her what she preferred and she proceeded to pull a custom stainless Kimber 1911 out of her waistband I never expected that 5'2" woman to be packing that...

Leave a comment:

• throttle
    replied
    Throttle, I still want one. Every time I get close I have something other that needs my cash more.
    Walked into my local shop and he had a really nice Kimber laying in the main display. Wife was with me and she said "you aren't spending that much on a gun!"
    She sure is pretty though, its small enough I believe to carry IWB but I'd not want to put that in a holster!!!

Leave a comment:

• jetboater
    replied
    When I talked to Dad the other night, he related to me he had been trying to buy a 500 Smith and Wesson. He told me how much, I offered for what he was gonna spend he could buy a 454 Casull. Thats what set him off, not sure why, but was kinda funny...

Leave a comment:

• Penguin
    replied
    I enjoy mine. Between the two cylinders I can go from mild to insane levels of power all on one frame. It may be my favorite handgun that I own now. So versatile and accurate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X