Custom Builders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Builders

I recently purchased a custom lefty AR-15. I am really impressed with this rifle. Do you guys have your own custom builder?

If you want a rock solid custom platform, this is where I got mine: Controlled Chaos Arms. I don't want to break the rules about advertising here but if you have half a brain you can find their site or find them on facebook. On facebook he puts out some model shots that are hot.

Just trying to pass info along but mods please let me know if I have stepped out of bounds here.

Cheaper to build them yourselves. AR-15s are just a giant deadly lego set.
    "Then I’ll be all aroun’ in the dark. I’ll be ever’where—wherever you look. Wherever they’s a fight so hungry people can eat, I’ll be there. Wherever they’s a cop beatin’ up a guy, I’ll be there."-The Grapes of Wrath

Comment

You could build it yourself, they are simple enough as you say. But some folks like that warranty while they are test driving their new piece.
      sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

I have the tools to build my own, no need to pay some other guy with more or less the same tools to bolt together the parts for me.

You don't "build" an AR-15, you just bolt the parts together. Unless you're the one machining the parts, but there's no shortage of good parts so no need to make your own.

Now if you want to talk about custom precision bolt guns that is another story, or custom pistols or revolvers. For that you need an honest to Pete gunsmith and machinist who really understands what he/she is doing.

Comment

LET THE MAN HAVE HIS FUN. just because YOU dont want to spend the cash, he might. is it a gas or piston? what (ballpark) did it cost?

and, oh yes--PHOTOS please.
          Je ne suis pas Charlie; Je suis armé!

Comment

For the record AR types are gas operated. 9 mile long buffer spring and a buffer that girls can use for a .........
            sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

IIRC AR's have a go no go gauge, ie no setting headspace?
              Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

Correct, most barrels you buy come with a pre-headspaced barrel extension already installed. Therefore 99.99999999% of bolts in good condition should properly headspace, the gauge just gives you confirmation of that. To be honest many people don't even bother to check, or just buy a barrel that comes with a bolt that has been checked. By the same token you can buy a new bolt if you don't like the one you have or it breaks, and the vast majority of the time it will headspace perfectly.

Comment

I ought to know, but it seems like AR's headspace on the rim.....R that true?

Comment

No they headspace like most any other bottle necked centerfire rifle round, which is on the shoulder of the case around 1/2 way down the slope on the datum line. Some belted magnum rounds used to headspace on the belt but now all of them also headspace on the shoulder too.

About the only rounds that headspace on the case rim are various rimfires, revolver cartridges, and some old school strait wall rifle cases like the .45-70 when used in single shot rifles. Those may even headspace on the case mouth these days in the single shot rifles, and lever actions chambered for strait wall cases. Auto pistols also headspace on the case mouth when using strait wall cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin View Post
                      No they headspace like most any other bottle necked centerfire rifle round, which is on the shoulder of the case around 1/2 way down the slope on the datum line. Some belted magnum rounds used to headspace on the belt but now all of them also headspace on the shoulder too.

About the only rounds that headspace on the case rim are various rimfires, revolver cartridges, and some old school strait wall rifle cases like the .45-70 when used in single shot rifles. Those may even headspace on the case mouth these days in the single shot rifles, and lever actions chambered for strait wall cases. Auto pistols also headspace on the case mouth when using strait wall cases.
                      The only exception I can think of is 45 ACP in a revolver, half moon or full moon clips.

Comment

Only in a double action revolver. I have a cylinder in .45ACP for my Freedom Arms .454, and it headspaces on the case mouth. Of corse I have an ejector rod to punch empties out with so there's no need for a rim at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jetboater View Post
                          The only exception I can think of is 45 ACP in a revolver, half moon or full moon clips.
                          Like a 9mm with the moon clips in revolvers.

That said, I'm gonna get a 454 Cas one day
                          I see the "moron meter" pegged you! It never fails...EVER!

Comment

Throttle, I still want one. Every time I get close I have something other that needs my cash more.

Comment

Working...
                            X