Food Saver for Ammo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Saver for Ammo?

Anybody ever tried vacuum sealing ammo with a food saver? I have been thinking about this but, wasn't sure if it would work or even be feasible.
    "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." - Confucius

I can't say weatherer there would be any benefit to this or not, but you can defiantly do it.

Comment

I don't really think it's a concern, most of the ammo I'm shooting out of my M1 Carbine is well over 50 years old and certainly wasn't stored in a vacuum.

That being said, I have a Foodsaver and did seal up ammo for a gun that I don't shoot often. I tossed a dessicant pack in with it and sealed it up. My primary concern was corrosion and last I looked at the ammo it still looked brand new. I doubt it's any better or worse than leaving in a regular GI ammo can.

Comment

:thinking: :scratchchin:

I had that idea....

Hunting, Fishing, Boating, and Sport Shooting > Long term ammo storage question > Post #9

Seems like a good idea for an added level of protection for the ammo & the wife gets a Christmas present too!
        Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
          :thinking: :scratchchin:

I had that idea....

Hunting, Fishing, Boating, and Sport Shooting > Long term ammo storage question > Post #9

Seems like a good idea for an added level of protection for the ammo & the wife gets a Christmas present too!
          As valid as your is, that thread does not discuss, (other than your post) the idea of using the food saver as long term ammo storage. I would like to build on my OP, what are opinions of buried storage using this approach? With that out of the way, I decided to start an entire thread on the subject Mr. Link.
          Last edited by WeAreLVRR; 11-25-2012, 12:57 AM.

Comment

If you're talking about burying it or storing it in terrible conditions, I think it's a great extra layer of protection.

Comment

I have about 2000 rounds of Yugo ammo that was produced in the 70's, and sealed like a sardine can in its crate. When I opened one crate the ammo was factory fresh and shiny. The other one is still sealed so as to preserve it for future use. The only thing that would worry me about vacuum bagging, if the rounds were loose in the bag they might pierce it. But of course if that happened you could rebag it I guess.
              sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

I think that I will play around with this guys! We are getting a deep freezer for Christmas from her parents, so it's a PERFECT excuse to get a food saver. Thanks for the help and opinions all!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreLVRR View Post
                  I think that I will play around with this guys! We are getting a deep freezer for Christmas from her parents, so it's a PERFECT excuse to get a food saver. Thanks for the help and opinions all!
                  I love it for my deep freezer... I'm always fully stocked with food!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreLVRR View Post
                    As valid as your is, that thread does not discuss, (other than your post) the idea of using the food saver as long term ammo storage. I would like to build on my OP, what are opinions of buried storage using this approach? With that out of the way, I decided to start an entire thread on the subject Mr. Link.
                    why do you want to BURY your ammo?

by the way, you could use the vacuum bags to store a pistol long term as well as the ammo...
                    Je ne suis pas Charlie; Je suis armé!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Rifle View Post
                      why do you want to BURY your ammo?

by the way, you could use the vacuum bags to store a pistol long term as well as the ammo...
                      1. Just in case.
                      2. Great idea.

Comment

Interesting point that an avid reloading friend of mine brought up today, he is adamant against vacuum sealing ammo. His concern is poorly/lightly crimped bullets coming loose or being pulled askew due to the extreme vacuum. He said all of his ammo is loosely packed in regular GI cans with silica gel packs.

Comment

Working...
                        X