X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UnderProtected
    started a topic Steel or Brass?

Steel or Brass?

Thoughts and opinions on this debate? Benefits? Drawbacks? etc..

• Mrconductor
    replied
    Originally posted by UnderProtected View Post
    I shot several hundred rounds of wolf steel ammo over the weekend. From my observations: its dirty and not as accurate, but I didn't have any problems with it at all.
    You guys must be using the old wolf classic. Try the new wolf WPA. I can get 1.5" groups consistently at 125 yards with just an Aimpoint and no magnification. I swear it's more accurate than the federal xm855 I've got.

Leave a comment:

• jetboater
    replied
    Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
    Wash the barrel, breech and bolt with ammonia, it will neutralize that acidic dirt that gets left behind!
    Sweets 7.62 works very well, does wonders for copper fouling too.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyseeandoh
    replied
    Wash the barrel, breech and bolt with ammonia, it will neutralize that acidic dirt that gets left behind!

Leave a comment:

• UnderProtected
    replied
    I shot several hundred rounds of wolf steel ammo over the weekend. From my observations: its dirty and not as accurate, but I didn't have any problems with it at all.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreLVRR
    replied
    The M16 I was issued in Basic Training loved to give bolt overrides and failed extractions, so much that it was a wonder I got an Expert Marksman badge. I reckoned it was a worn bolt and weak extraction finger. Nothing to do with brass or steel debates but the discussion brought this to mind. It had been used in Vietnam, or least manufactured in that era so it was good and sloppy by the time I got it.
    I have heard stories of certain AR's using improperly manufactured extractors from the factory. I really cannot back that claim up though.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyseeandoh
    replied
    The M16 I was issued in Basic Training loved to give bolt overrides and failed extractions, so much that it was a wonder I got an Expert Marksman badge. I reckoned it was a worn bolt and weak extraction finger. Nothing to do with brass or steel debates but the discussion brought this to mind. It had been used in Vietnam, or least manufactured in that era so it was good and sloppy by the time I got it.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreLVRR
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrconductor View Post
    If an AR won't cycle steel, you have problems. I have over 2000rds of silver bear and wolf WPA through my m&p. Also my BCM has seen a good many rounds. Also have ran brass In between steel magazines. Never had one hiccup. Keep you gun cleaned and it will be fine. But you guys keep on snobbing the cheap steel stuff. More for me to buy!
    I will say this, most AR failures that I have witnessed with my own lookers have been steel cased ammo issues.. The best ones that I have seen is when the owner gets the gun hot and the steel cases get stuck in the chamber! Everyone has their own preferences and favorites, I just prefer brass cased ammo myself.

Leave a comment:

• Mrconductor
    replied
    If an AR won't cycle steel, you have problems. I have over 2000rds of silver bear and wolf WPA through my m&p. Also my BCM has seen a good many rounds. Also have ran brass In between steel magazines. Never had one hiccup. Keep you gun cleaned and it will be fine. But you guys keep on snobbing the cheap steel stuff. More for me to buy!

Leave a comment:

• WeAreLVRR
    replied
    Brass all the way for me. That shit steel cased junk won't feed properly in my AR..

Leave a comment:

• RadioGuy
    replied
    I try to stay with brass for most of my guns. I'll never run steel again in my M1 Carbine, it started tearing up the injector.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyseeandoh
    replied
    Copper wash today would cost a fortune I reckon. To the extent that brass has got copper in it, I bet we see a lot more reloads at retail!

Leave a comment:

• jetboater
    replied
    Well, I guess we can say Wolf has polyester then. But Several vendors I look at are not selling certain Wolf or Bear products because of high complaints. Herters seems like trustworthy folk, so maybe I'll try a box or two of their stuff and see where it gets me.
    I did have some of that Norinco copper washed stuff from years back. It was ok, but powder residue was very bad too.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyseeandoh
    replied
    Well, I guess we can say Wolf has polyester then. But Several vendors I look at are not selling certain Wolf or Bear products because of high complaints. Herters seems like trustworthy folk, so maybe I'll try a box or two of their stuff and see where it gets me.

Leave a comment:

• jetboater
    replied
    how can one be sure it doesn't have polyester coating, but instead perhaps a natural varnish?
    Thats a good question. One that I have no answer to. In cleaning the M1A chamber I did not find it to be any dirtier than normal. Now I shot some Wolf 308, thats a different story. It was bad, still cycled, but carboned the gas cylinder up damn near as bad as blanks with an adapter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X