Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upland Hunting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upland Hunting

    Any of you guys been Upland Hunting? you know for Pheasant, Quail, Chukar, etc.?

    What is it like? I ask as I have never been but and thinking I would like to go. I've hunted Deer, Turkey, Duck and Goose. I personally like Duck, Goose, and Turkey hunting better then Deer. Duck and Goose seem to be the most 'un, Turkey is fun as well but in a different way.
    Thick as Valve oil, Black, White, and Tuscan Red
    That's how thick the Railroadin' in my blood is!

    Ich sehne mich wieder Meister der Iron Horse werden


    Nothing about this is normal!

    There is no place like 127.0.0.1

    1/20/17

  • #2
    not many Pheasant left here, now Chukars, there are a butt load on public lands, but they are always on the steepest rockiest slopes available.

    Most private land that has birds, you have to pay the landowner for the rights to hunt, and I won't do that.

    I hope to hook up with a friend and do some goose hunting this year, we shall see..
    Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

    Comment


    • #3
      My experience with grouse is thus: In summer, you can walk through the woods and it's hard not to step on one these things.....you scare them up left and right, and what a thunder they make flying away...now come cold weather and time to hunt and there is not a one to be found.
      sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh
        My experience with grouse is thus: In summer, you can walk through the woods and it's hard not to step on one these things.....you scare them up left and right, and what a thunder they make flying away...now come cold weather and time to hunt and there is not a one to be found.
        Always so ture!
        Thick as Valve oil, Black, White, and Tuscan Red
        That's how thick the Railroadin' in my blood is!

        Ich sehne mich wieder Meister der Iron Horse werden


        Nothing about this is normal!

        There is no place like 127.0.0.1

        1/20/17

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by trainman51 View Post
          Any of you guys been Upland Hunting? you know for Pheasant, Quail, Chukar, etc.?

          What is it like? I ask as I have never been but and thinking I would like to go. I've hunted Deer, Turkey, Duck and Goose. I personally like Duck, Goose, and Turkey hunting better then Deer. Duck and Goose seem to be the most 'un, Turkey is fun as well but in a different way.
          you will do more walking when you go after pheasant or quail. if you arent used to it you will GET TIRED. personally, i think more skill is involved, as you are shooting at a fast moving target, as opposed to turkey or deer hunting. things happen fast, so always be aware of where people (and dogs) are at, lest you pull a cheney!
          Je ne suis pas Charlie; Je suis armé!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Black Rifle

            you will do more walking when you go after pheasant or quail. if you arent used to it you will GET TIRED. personally, i think more skill is involved, as you are shooting at a fast moving target, as opposed to turkey or deer hunting. things happen fast, so always be aware of where people (and dogs) are at, lest you pull a cheney!
            Truth of the matter is, I am a better shooter on the wing then anything else. I do better at goose/duck hunting then anything else. So that shouldn't be a problem. Now the walking, I guess I will see.
            Thick as Valve oil, Black, White, and Tuscan Red
            That's how thick the Railroadin' in my blood is!

            Ich sehne mich wieder Meister der Iron Horse werden


            Nothing about this is normal!

            There is no place like 127.0.0.1

            1/20/17

            Comment


            • #7
              I used to drive nails with a .38 special snub nose....now I need a large target with ample contrast........darn old age.........
              sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh
                I used to drive nails with a .38 special snub nose....now I need a large target with ample contrast........darn old age.........
                I never have been able to do that. Even with a Rifle!
                Thick as Valve oil, Black, White, and Tuscan Red
                That's how thick the Railroadin' in my blood is!

                Ich sehne mich wieder Meister der Iron Horse werden


                Nothing about this is normal!

                There is no place like 127.0.0.1

                1/20/17

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by trainman51 View Post
                  I never have been able to do that. Even with a Rifle!
                  The Army will teach you to hit what you aim at....you just need to be able to SEE it.
                  sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Up here in the Great Lakes region, you can still hunt Dove/Quail/Grouse without effort.
                    I don't hunt anymore and stopped bird hunting well before that. I know if I go into my back lot (about 20 acres back there, 50/50 wooded to grass) you can kick them up without any issue. I let a buddy go back there, he hunts squirrel and some coon hunting. I have deer too, but I see less and less of them anymore.
                    I see the "moron meter" pegged you! It never fails...EVER!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X